Sign in to follow this  
mdspowerwashing

What is the most effective way to get jobs?

Question

Hi,

I currently have a full time job and do pressure washing part time. I would really like to do pressure washing full time. I've been using service magic to get most my jobs, and it kinda works. I probably land about 20-30% of the lead I recieve. I know I need to advetise more, too get more jobs. I have a yellow page ad in 2 seperate areas, 1 book is already out(serves maybe 80,000 people) and the other book comes out May 10th or so, and serves maybe 400,000 people or so. I have not recieved one call from the first yellow page book which came out in January. What do you guys suggest I do to generate some jobs? I have enough money to advertise, as I have been doing at least 2-4 jobs a week, but currently, I only have 1 deck job in progress, and 1 house wash left to do. I'm thinking of either advertising in the local newspaper, or sending out a brochure/mailer, or maybe both. I know some things work for some people in some areas, and don't work for other people. I'd just love to be pressure washing every day! Please give me some advise! Thanks in adance.

97 answers to this question

Stumbled on this old thread, and it is interesting. We only work on exterior wood. Being said, it is interesting that in 2009, web sites were not included as a choice. ~ 60% of our new business now comes via the internet. But we are not pressure washers.

Stumbled on this old thread, and it is interesting. We only work on exterior wood. Being said, it is interesting that in 2009, web sites were not included as a choice. ~ 60% of our new business now comes via the internet. But we are not pressure washers.

Times do change, everyone either keeps up or gets left behind.

Ron ********** text me 480-5225227 ???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have not had good luck in the past with newspaper inserts. Most of our clients are upper middle class and many of them being over 30. A lot of them I find are reading the newpapers online. The retired group of customers even have internet access, The inserts are a one shot deal, if someone doesnt see the paper, it is money wasted. The other issue is the other extreme - what if you got 200 calls for estimates?

Ask the paper for references for other business that have done inserts and call them to see the results they get. You can also pick up a paper and stop by the business and a tell them you are in the Pressure Washing Business and you want to speak with them about their insert response you saw in the paper. After you get an anwer, ask them if you can give them a no- obligation proposal for washing the front of their business.

1000.00 payout for a one shot advertising may be a lot for a business just starting out to absorb financially if the return on investment is poor.

The fastest way to promote your business is through TV. Then comes Internet. Yes Internet is the most effective & most used technology in the world. You just have to make sure that your website rank at the top in search engines. For this your site need to be worked upon.

We have not had good luck in the past with newspaper inserts. Most of our clients are upper middle class and many of them being over 30. A lot of them I find are reading the newpapers online. The retired group of customers even have internet access, The inserts are a one shot deal, if someone doesnt see the paper, it is money wasted. The other issue is the other extreme - what if you got 200 calls for estimates?

Ask the paper for references for other business that have done inserts and call them to see the results they get. You can also pick up a paper and stop by the business and a tell them you are in the Pressure Washing Business and you want to speak with them about their insert response you saw in the paper. After you get an anwer, ask them if you can give them a no- obligation proposal for washing the front of their business.

1000.00 payout for a one shot advertising may be a lot for a business just starting out to absorb financially if the return on investment is poor.

Yes I would imagine elderly people being targeted news papers would work.

I read the paper online, funny the apps I use no ads. I have wondered how places like even here will survive because I see no ads any more. Same with Facebook , none

Just a thought, wondering who those 30 years olds are reading ads online?

I have not see an ad in months

Ron ********** text me for

questions 480-522-5227 Pressure Washing Institute.com

Well since you don't have much of a customer base yet, word of mouth will be limited. I would send out postcards to targeted areas, but you'll need to send out about 1000 to get a response. It's normally a 1 percent return, so 1000 would land you around 10 jobs normally. One job will pay for your postcards. Good luck.

Yeah... 1% response rate is rare, and 1% booking rate it even more rare.. Mind showing off your ad?

Quality work , a professional wrapped trailer , good references . Call back pronto Know how to speak to people , look and act professional , be on time .

I would say website is the most important one.

Proves my point that internet years are like dog years.....poll started in 2006 and website/internet wasn't even on the list.

Evolve or die

I agree also and I find their snobbery a bit offensive. I know it's wrong, but if they are real a-holes I sometimes cannot resist the urge to knock them down a notch or two. And that's when I weave into the conversation that I have a degree in applied physics from Ga Tech and formerly made over 200k/year as a director/founding partner for a multinational communication company.

The looks I get are PRICELESS. And the response is nearly always the same; "Why did you quit?" To which I reply in a very polite and self-sacrificial tone; "My children and my family are far more important to me than money or power. And the fast track corporate life just demanded that I spend too much time way from them. So I quit. Now I am never more than 10 miles from home, schedule my work around my kids activities, and get to work in the fresh air and sunshine all day. Sure, it's been an adjustment getting by on about 1/2 what I used to make, but that is a sacrifice that I am willing to accept."

And in the course of seemingly polite conversation, I have said/implied;

1. Despite my dirty/bleach stained clothes, I have an advanced degree in a subject that you probably failed.

2. I made as much or more than you at a very young age. That I do not now is by choice.

3. I care more about my kids than you do.

4. I still make enough money to be in the top 10% and I am 20 years younger than you.

5. I do what I love and love what I do.

Before the flaming starts, I know it is wrong, hateful, boastful, ugly, and totally unchristianlike. And I'm really not the arrogant jerk this post makes me sound like. Or maybe I am, and I just don't want to admit it to myself. But either way, it feels GREAT whem someone is looking down their nose at you like garbage and with just a few words you can alter their paradigm so dramatically that you can feel their discomfort and humiliation hanging in the air like fog.

I get that in the greaser world sometimes from large contractors who installed the duct work and/or fans upside down and I am the one to get them to bend over and fix it. Usually starts through email like ," who is this guy and why do I have to listen to him".

So stoked to slap them around and then get them to fix it for a customer. My customers are way stoked. I dont know why anyone has to talk down to others the way they do. Most big wig contractors rolling a huge lifted truck and 10 bedroom homes are usually soo under water with debt. And that goes for a lot of the hob nob rich people who are living a lie to keep up with status. When the mechanic who makes $40-70,000 has more money then both of the said examples.

Great job!

I get that in the greaser world sometimes from large contractors who installed the duct work and/or fans upside down and I am the one to get them to bend over and fix it. Usually starts through email like ," who is this guy and why do I have to listen to him".

So stoked to slap them around and then get them to fix it for a customer. My customers are way stoked. I dont know why anyone has to talk down to others the way they do. Most big wig contractors rolling a huge lifted truck and 10 bedroom homes are usually soo under water with debt. And that goes for a lot of the hob nob rich people who are living a lie to keep up with status. When the mechanic who makes $40-70,000 has more money then both of the said examples.

Great job!

Good post! Hey! aren't you one of those grease police guys?Even in you are, I would hit the "like " button, if I had one.

I dont know why anyone has to talk down to others the way they do. Most big wig contractors rolling a huge lifted truck and 10 bedroom homes are usually soo under water with debt. And that goes for a lot of the hob nob rich people who are living a lie to keep up with status. When the mechanic who makes $40-70,000 has more money then both of the said examples.

Great job!

Every nail........ wham...... right on the head bro.

Well put. Very well put !