Sign in to follow this  
smokey51

Driveway Mix

Question

Being the good neighbor I am, I was talked into doing my neighbor's driveway for him. What a mess! He has had several "collector" cars in bad need of repair parked for months on in. They have leaked gas and oil, created rust stains, etc.

Since this is not my area of expertise and I don't have a surface cleaner or hot water washer, what cleaning mix do you folks recommend I use. I hope to get rid of most of the oil and dirt and hopefully some of the rust stains. He already knows not to expect micracles, but I would like to suprise him a little without washing the concrete cream away.

Smokey51

3 answers to this question

Sodium hydroxide for the grease,oil and gas.Oxalic acid for the rust.

Since you are using cold water give the sodium hydroxide at least 10-20 minutes of dwell time.Once you have cleaned and rinse apply the oxalic to the rust.

If you are xjetting the oxalic.....2 pounds to 5 gallons of warm water should do the trick,but there is always a possibility for a second application.

If it's not irrigation rust, it's doubtful you'll get it off completely. Hey Scott what mix of SH do you use to remove oil stains?

1:1 or 2:1 is the norm.The stronger mix will cut down on the dwell time.We do a lot of fastfood drive thrus and the few extra dollars of chemicals is more than offset by the time saved.