Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

cleaning building with bird droppings

Question

Hello Everyone, I am putting in a bid to clean a building that has been vacant for several years and has had a lot of pigeons in it. I am posting this to the boards to get a lot of feedback so if you visit the boards you will see this and I am not sure what category to post this. I need to clean the metal walls, concrete floor and wash the metal beams, pipes up at the ceiling and do a very light rinse of the white plastic covered batt insulation. The insulation has chicken wire supporting it so I think a light rinse will not soak it. I will have to use a manlift for the high stuff but was wondering what type of respirator and chemicals would be good if anyone has done this type of cleanup before. I am thinking housewash for everything with extra bleach on the concrete floor for the large amounts of bird droppings. There are 7 huge metal roll up doors that I will open for air circulation and light as I will have to turn off the electricity. I just do not know what type of cartridges for the half face respirator. Thanks for any help.

9 answers to this question

Organic vapor & acid gas. If you're at home depot they are the round ones about 2 inches thick. Be very careful of bid droppings, they carry all manner of bacteria that can cause serious health problems. When they restored/destroyed the "big chicken" here in Atlanta, it was a big issue in the project.

"The most legitimate concern about these birds involves the transmission of diseases. Diseases associated with pigeons that are a threat to humans are directly linked to their droppings.

"Pigeons can pose a health hazard, but in many instances, that is blown out of proportion. Most of the risk of disease is from the accumulation of droppings in soil that provides a good media for the bacteria to grow in," said Armstrong.

Two diseases in particular may manifest in pigeon droppings. They include histoplasmosis, which occurs in droppings on the soil under roost sites, and cryptococcosis, which is found in droppings at elevated roost sites. In both cases, the amount of droppings plays a role. For instance, histoplasmosis usually doesn't flourish until droppings have accumulated for three or more years. There must also be a large flock of birds in one roosting site. "If there are 75 birds roosting in a vacant building then you have a problem," said Cockrum.

"

Thanks for the info. If I get the job I will look into the respirators and disposable tyvek coveralls and hats. I will spray down everything so I do not make any "poo dust" when working. I just need to find out the best thing for sanitizing like either bleach, lysol, oxygenated bleach, etc... The building is about 150'x150' and I will clean the walls, floor, support beams, water sprinkler piping, etc.... I need to find something that is good and affordable. Thanks for any help.

Pigeon dropping wont kill you but its disgusting wear the respirator, tyvek or rain gear I also wear a T-shirt head rag , put your head in the head hole of the T shirt and tie the sleeves back around your head, makes a good head rag protection so crap doesnt get on you

Good soap & some bleach will work fine

I used to do bridges and a whole lot of pigeon droppings. Ive seen pigeon dropping mounds 5-10 feet tall, get a shovel and bag it up if you can to get the heavy stuff and the PW

Have fun lol

JL

Organic vapor & acid gas. If you're at home depot they are the round ones about 2 inches thick. Be very careful of bid droppings, they carry all manner of bacteria that can cause serious health problems. When they restored/destroyed the "big chicken" here in Atlanta, it was a big issue in the project.

"The most legitimate concern about these birds involves the transmission of diseases. Diseases associated with pigeons that are a threat to humans are directly linked to their droppings.

"Pigeons can pose a health hazard, but in many instances, that is blown out of proportion. Most of the risk of disease is from the accumulation of droppings in soil that provides a good media for the bacteria to grow in," said Armstrong.

Two diseases in particular may manifest in pigeon droppings. They include histoplasmosis, which occurs in droppings on the soil under roost sites, and cryptococcosis, which is found in droppings at elevated roost sites. In both cases, the amount of droppings plays a role. For instance, histoplasmosis usually doesn't flourish until droppings have accumulated for three or more years. There must also be a large flock of birds in one roosting site. "If there are 75 birds roosting in a vacant building then you have a problem," said Cockrum.

"

Use 3M brand respirator - part # 6100=small, 6200=medium, 6300=large

3M Organic Vapor cartridge part # 6001

3M Full Face Respirator = 6000 series (6900=Large) - you can also by lens covers for this mask (part # 6885 - 100/pack) This will help keep the Caca off your face

Thanks Everyone for your help. I was told that bleach will not take care of disinfecting of the surfaces. I was told that you need something a lot stronger. Anyone heard of stronger chemicals for disinfecting? I want to do a good job because the building will be rented out and I do not want anyone getting sick if I did not clean it good enough. Thanks.

Pest bird droppings can carry over 60 transmittable diseases.Once the structures are cleaned they may also be disinfected. You can use a simple solution of ammonia or bleach and water and apply to the surface to disinfect and remove the odor associated with pest bird droppings.