Sign in to follow this  
The Rob

Pet Urine Smell

I went and looked at a paint job today on the inside of a house. The people who had been living there had used it as a dog breeding kennel, but did not bother to take them ouside to use the potty! All the old carpet has been removed and disposed of, but the smell still lingers very strong. This house is owned by someone out of town, so I'm dealing with a realtor on this. She wants to use kilz-it sealer on the whole house- floor, ceiling, and walls. Is there anything that I can apply to it before anything is done to it. I have called a couple of carpet cleaners, but they have not got back to me yet. Today is Wednesday, she wants the bid by Friday, a little more time would have been nice!! Any and all ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert

I would be inclined to very gently tell her that you are looking into the best way to remove the odor, and really don't want to bid until you have heard something back. Then I would call the people you contacted again. I would alsop be inclined to call the following, as they might help:

kennels

vets

carpet manufacturer

Ask them what they have found to be most effective at removing the odor. The kennels are your best bet I think....but the vets may be on track as well.

Beth

Rob there is no way to remove it from a wood floor. Even concrete is tough.

Most likely only the floor got saturated. A male dog will lift his leg. The trim if any along the base board. Toss it and start over.

The floor if its wood. Shellac the spots. This seals the odor.

You can use kilz on a plywood floor. On a nice wood one you understand the shellac answer.

Wood is so porus that the urine will permeate the entire depth.

You may want to check out the underside also.

Charge big bucks. At least 100 bucks an hour plus material.

Any other questions let me know.

This house has a concrete floor in it, so the only wood I have to worry about is the trim. I'm thinking that the smell could be in the drywall itself, but I don't know if the kilz-it will seal in the odor or not. Thanks for the replys, Robert

I have found that bacteria / enzyme odor eliminators work well in this situation. They must be applied at regular intervals over a period of time ( once a day for a week) to keep the bacteria active while they are "eating" the source of the odor. I moved into a house that had a real bad cat urine odor throughout. All the carpets were pulled up and discarded, exposing very workable wood floors. One room in particular was trerrible. This apparently was the cat's room. It has a concrete floor that has several cracks in it. We soaked the entire area with Biozyme and poured it directly into the cracks once a day for a week. No more stink!;)

Be thankful it was dogs and not cats, cats have an acid that will not come out, we had to remove the baseboard and support wood and replace all to remove it.

Also try bleach, let it soak into the concrete, pour it down and put an old towel over it, keeping it damp for a couple days.

Dogs do not have acid in their urine so should be not be as toublesome to reomve, still as the othes mentioned you will need to work at it and charge like your Donald Trump!

Jon

Here is a formula to remove the odor.....1 quart hydrogen peroxide (get this at a drug store....same stuff you put on cuts) add 1quarter cup baking soda and a teaspoon of dawn for dishes.....spray full strength on area ......this will actually neutralize a skunk odor. I've used it to get the cat spray smell out of carpets.......good luck.

Andy

Thanks everyone for your replys! I didn't get the job though. They had some other work they needed done on another house that had been condemned by the city. They wanted just a quick cover up, but I have had dealings before with the city on houses like that. I called the person overseeing the process on the house, and he said no way, you can not do the cover up. It has to be fixed right. I called the realtor back, man was she mad that I had done my own checking with the city. I told her it had to be done a certain way according to the city, and that would be the only way I would have any part of it. She told me she would get back in touch with me. That was end of that, never heard from her again, and she wouldn't return my calls when I tried to contact her. Oh well, no big deal!

Robert