77 members have voted

1. 1. Respirators Do You Use Them????

• Yes all the time.
    • Yes only with bleach.
    • No not at all
    • Sometimes
    • Whats a respirator?????

Im bringing this topic back up since I cant seem to find good info

Looking for a respirator to wear when spraying sodium hydroxide or precarb and oxalic. Also if it worked with oil based stain that would be a plus

What I cant figure out is the millions of types they have. Dont really need to worry about dust or asbestos. Theres the basic kind that you can buy in a 10 pack for 2 bucks at any store. Then there is the kinds with the little pink circles on the ends. Seems like that would probably get wet when pressure washing so not sure if thats good. Dont want a full face one either. Also seen the kinds that have cylinders sticking out 5 inches from each end of your mouth

How do I figure out what to get? Theres so many types of ratings (organic vapor, n95, n99, p95, p100, acid gas, prefilters?, cartrides) and im totally lost. Prices seem to range from 2 bucks to 200 also.

The respirator I use is a simple cartridge style made for vapors. I think I paid $35 for it. It is designed for painters. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how.

Then there is the kinds with the little pink circles on the ends. Seems like that would probably get wet when pressure washing so not sure if thats good. Dont want a full face one either. Also seen the kinds that have cylinders sticking out 5 inches from each end of your mouth

No they don't get wet.. you don't spray your face do ya?..haha

Think most just wear when applying caustic chems or stains and not while rinsing..

If you buy a good one with filters on each side of face they'll include paperwork that'll tell you which filters for which kind of vapors. I suspect it could be bad to just wear anything when working around certain things cause for all you know the harmful stuff still gets through. For paints and stains Harbor Freight has a cheap but decent double filter for $21. The face material is a bit more plastic feeling then some better ones you'll find at around the $40 level elsewhere. (may bug you when you swet compared to the softer rubber ones).. They don't all use industry standard filters neither.

Am sure a place like Sherwin could set you up proper.

There is a full face mask/respirator that you can get that will work the best. They start at around $90-$200. The fit is the most important.

WELCOME (Catalog)

Catalog Search (Catalog)

These are the two least expensive ones that should meet your needs.

As a guide on particulate respirators:

N100, N99, N95: may be used for any solid or non-oil containing contaminant

R100, R99, R95: may be used for any particulate contaminant. If oil containing particulate, a one-shift use limit applies.

P100, P99, P95: may be used for any particulate contaminant.

As a guide on other respirators marked TC-21C or TC-23C

DM=Dust, Mist approved uses

DFM=Dust, Fume, Mist approved uses

HEPA=High Efficiency Particulate Arrestor approved for all the above plus radionuclides.

Paint Spray respirators protect against mists of paint, lacquers and enamels.

Pesticide respirators protect as marked.

Rod!~

I don't always wear one but certainly do in some situations & chemicals. I used to build pools for years and part of the prep process is dumping gallons & gallons of muriatic on the concrete. This produces a giant acid cloud. I thought it was funny that I was the only one that ever used a respirator. I could stand right in the middle of it & breath easy. The funny part was watching all the old timers dump the acid & then back off choking & gasping for air. Spend the money on a good one & use it. They have filters for just about anything... chlorine, HF, dust, asbestos, etc.

For all of you using respirators keep in mind you and your employees must be fit test for wearing a mask, as required by 29CFR 1910.134. No exceptions. Also keep in mind per the regulation about facial hair.

Hey Beth:

Doing well, I slowed the business down, my wife and I just had a baby on June 12, 2007, and I wanted to spend time with them. Actually I was cleaning a roof when my wife called to tell me she was in labor so we had to hurry up and Finish.(LOL). My family is more important than washing houses and decks. So its been a couple of weeks and I am now back in the full swing of things and all is well. I had customers call and I told them my situation and many of them were understanding and said they would wait.