Sign in to follow this  
dave

shade sails

has any one had any experience cleaning shade sails like the picture below?

do you need to wash both sides? The height would make cleaning the top side difficult without the use of a lift and this would be to expensive for small jobs.lots of these sails around just not sure how to go about cleaning them thanks for any help.

G'Day Dave

I've cleaned a few of these (shade cloth is a woven/knitted synthetic, quite open so that lots of water>dirt>mould>plant sap>bird droppings can get in and stay in....).

They are usually stretched very tight, so would not take down as very difficult to put up again, also would need a very large and clean area to wash/rinse on.

I have used a stronger than normal house wash mix (cloth is all synthetic so won't bleach) and high pressure wand from underneath, but I would love to try hot water.

Examine the condition of the material and edge stitching before you do anything, as some are made (much) better than others and they do break down over time - esspecially the stitching. If they are looking faded and stretched, with loose/undone stitching be very cautious/gentle/quick to leave.

You need to be carefull with the pressure as too much will stretch the cloth, and if the pressure is uneven the cleaning will be uneven, leaving light/dark patches. I found, with 15 l/m @ 3600 psi and 15 degree tip that I needed to get quite close - about 30 - 40mm from the cloth. I've used a ladder to get close, but it is very slow, so I'll invest in a couple of extensions next time.

Don't use a turbo nozzle as you can't get even pressure all over the cloth, and the vibrations from the pulsing (from the piston pump) can loosen/tear the stitching when you do the edges.

Oh, and be prepared to get very, very wet!!!! and don't promise to get every stain out - I'd rather leave a stain than a hole in the cloth from too much pressure.

If they are indeed shade sails they will have grommets on the corners. If I remember correctly, shade sails are mostly triangular, correct? Well, all you need to do is put a bent nail on a post, hook a grommet to it, the tie a rope through the other two grommets and open it up to the desired angle.

Shade Sails Melbourne