Sign in to follow this  
Thad

What I Did Today

9000 square feet of VCT.

I may be relatively new to the PW game (2 years), but if anyone ever needs help with VCT, let me know.

When I arrived there was a ton of stuff on the floor that the contractor's laborers were supposed to have moved. I thought briefly about leaving but decided to stay, move the stuff, and bill the heck out of him.

You do *not* want to pay me for grunt work labor.

:)

Then I found out that there was only one working outlet in the very back of the whole 12000 s.f. building and no water.

I thought briefly about leaving (again) but went to the convenience store across the parking lot and got permission to use their water.

Then some anonymous jackleg electrician (guess who) rigged up 250 feet of Romex for an extension cord. Do NOT try this at home.

But, all's well that ends well.

The third pic is the finished product.

Yes, it's dry.

post-1711-137772158151_thumb.jpg

post-1711-137772158159_thumb.jpg

post-1711-137772158165_thumb.jpg

The sad truth is that I doubt the contractor cares at all. The building owner made him hire me because the building had to be gutted after Katrina and he wants the new tile protected.

The retail chain that leases the building gets minimal maintenance from a lowballer that I know very well, so I won't be back.

The good part of it is that the owner of the building likes me, likes my work, likes the fact that I *always* deliver when I say I will, and owns about 47 million properties. I want to keep him happy! :lgmoneyey

Most of his buildings are in the NOLA area but this one was in Biloxi, MS. On the first little job I did for him we butted heads a little, but I stood my ground in a polite way and he has been sending me more and more work as time goes on.

My wife says that he likes the fact that I stand up to him even though he's made of green paper. ;)

When I talked to him he said to bill for the labor, cc him the invoice, and if the contractor balks he'll pay me directly. The amount that I'm charging for extra labor is very minimal compared to the overall cost of the renovation ($300K) but if you do something for free once you'll have to do it for free every time.