Sign in to follow this  
Andrew07

Testing for sealant

Question

Hello all, beginner question here, I was just wondering how do you test for old sealant on a deck? Can most of you tell by just looking at it or would you spray water on it and check for beading up? What is the best method? Also if part of the part of the deck needs stripping would you still strip the whole deck? Thanks for your replies

3 answers to this question

Hello all, beginner question here, I was just wondering how do you test for old sealant on a deck? Can most of you tell by just looking at it or would you spray water on it and check for beading up? What is the best method? Also if part of the part of the deck needs stripping would you still strip the whole deck? Thanks for your replies

From doing this work for that last 9 yrs i can tell just by looking at it but i can also see it in my sleep.:D

Well my first question to the customer is... Does the deck have and existing stain was on it?

You an go by looks for any pigment and the water test with helps but not always 100% true.IF you have a nasty dirty deck that you can't see the wood grain.You can save yourself a lot of time of second guessing and just strip it.

You can have some stain that will not bead water but still have some residue in the wood. So rather than have to clean twice just strip it once and you're done.

P.S i missed your strippign the whole deck that's a yes you want the deck to look even as a whole not all blotchy,

Take a test kit with you consisting of a small bottle (with a sealed cap) containing a stripper and another containing a neutralizer and a small brush.

Place a drop of stripper on an area that will most likely still have a sealer on it such as under the rail caps or under a bench or other secluded but protected area. Watch for the color to change to dark or almost black. The quicker it happens indicates the lack of a sealer. If it takes a little longer than a minute, there is a sealer intact in that area. You can use the brush to agitate the area to find out how many coats there are and then neutralize when finished. Rinse with tap water to remove any residue and inform the customer to avoid the area until dry.

Rod!~

Thanks guys for the great replies, good info, now I know this might be a controversial question but what are some of the better products to work with for a stripper brightner etc, I have already seen that people like the Wod Tux and Ready Seal products, I also have read hd80, fc38, citralic ... for the stripper/brighter am I on the right track here, Thanks, email me with any further info if you do not want to post would be appreciated, Thank you :), God Bless