Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Anyone have a good blast lately?

Question

29 answers to this question

I would love to talk about it, but I've tried to rent a soda blaster, and noone up here has heard of it.

Will cob or shell (peanut/walnut) blasting remove paint without harming the wood, concrete or brick that is painted??

Interior work. Let's say maybe a burned kitchen but rest of house is OK. Use dry ice as abrasive and after it does it's job cleaning it simply evaporates to CO2very fast, unlike water.

Scott

I recently picked up a soda blaster for graffiti abatement. I havent had a chance to mess around with it because I am setting up my hot water rig right now, but I will post the results on how it worked. I have heard good things about it though.

I have a friend who works for the city near me and she is in charge of graffiti removal and they have used the same company for 15 years (actually they were the first and only company who approached them about doing removal) and I told her about the soda blasting. The other guys are color matching and painting over without even attempting to pressure wash and the turn around time is around 72 hrs +. I live close and will be able to get it done same day. She already agreed that after I get set up, I have the contract, which is rather large, pending the outcome of the soda blasting, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it does prodice good results.

What is dry ice blasting I have never heard of it? Does it work well and what type of application would you use it on?

Saw a demonstration on a unit this summer. Great machine for places that can't accept water, difficult stains that are hard to remove with any chemicals or place that won't allow chems. It will clean off pretty much anything. The only use I could really see for it for my applications were Food Plants and around electrical component like panels and other goodies that go "BOOM" when water is applied. I would not see this machine for residential use. Another downfall if I remember correctly the hose is very short like 25 or 50 feet and cant' put more. It can strip paint but won't even budge mill scale rust, just a light rust.

It is a very expensive unit at close to 20 grand and is expensive to run also. The Demo guy said contractors usually run at an hourly rate of 125 to 150 buck an hour. If I could have a signed contract with a couple of food plants around here for regular cleaning then I might consider one but they looked into it and still do there own cleaning with steam, hot water and chems.

It was cool to see it evaporate instantly, but that's the only thing that exited me. Too expensive for what its worth.

Just my 2 cents

Dan

I just got my first blasting system...soda, cob, all medias. We just finished blasting a log cabin, it came out awesome. Now I'm out hustling to see how busy I can keep this thing.

Georgia folks...if you need some blasting, please keep me in mind.

Kevin

I just got my first blasting system...soda, cob, all medias. We just finished blasting a log cabin, it came out awesome. Now I'm out hustling to see how busy I can keep this thing.

Kevin

Congratulations on having something that many around here don't have -

Just keep this in mind...

When you use your equipment to do Soda blasting, it will REALLY do a good job cleaning almost anything, just be very careful WHERE you use it. The wash water will at least brown almost anything it touches in the surrounding landscaping.

I KNOW what they say about it being safe to use and environmentally friendly, but I also know what I saw firsthand...

I know a guy (a DIY'er) who bought a "Wadu" off eBay last Summer and went KRAZY with it. He cleaned everything in sight, equipment, tools, walks, playsets, everything he could find to clean..

Next morning when he went outside, most of the grass and landscaping around his property was browned, and it still hasn't fully recovered.

Baking Soda is a great media to use to clean. Great stuff, just wanted to warn you ahead of time to look for wide open spaces to use it...

Good Luck!

I am also in Metro Atlanta, give me a call or shoot me an email sometime...

I have a wet soda blaster from WADU. Have used it from time to time to remove graffiti, oil, grime sanitize odor etc.

Youi do have to be carfeul about the Ph of the soda and the landscape, most green things don't like the big shift in Ph the soda causes, because of this, I am reluctant to use it on residential applications unless the owners are very clear on what could happen.

It has been a great help on commercial jobs.

I have the cheapest version for soda blasting.Looks very similar to a m5. I have used a wadu before,and it uses a lot less soda than what I have.

I have mentioned before that we have had a hard time with some efflo earlier this year. We do all the warranty work for one of the bigger brick/sand/stone manufacturers so I asked for some samples of the worst efflo stones in the yard.

Soda blasting (wet) on the face of a stack wall works wonders in removing the hard white scumm that nothing else would. This was just a test and I'll report back in the next week or two with more test runs results.

Kevin

Kevin, will need some contact info on ya if we are to help you. I'm up north, and I moderate the wood section on this board, lots of blasting here if I could just call the number in your sig line....:)

Kevin, will need some contact info on ya if we are to help you. I'm up north, and I moderate the wood section on this board, lots of blasting here if I could just call the number in your sig line....:)

Rich,

It was great talking to you yesterday, good luck with the new idea! My contact info should show up in the signature line now.

Kevin

I have the cheapest version for soda blasting.Looks very similar to a m5. I have used a wadu before,and it uses a lot less soda than what I have.

I have mentioned before that we have had a hard time with some efflo earlier this year. We do all the warranty work for one of the bigger brick/sand/stone manufacturers so I asked for some samples of the worst efflo stones in the yard.

Soda blasting (wet) on the face of a stack wall works wonders in removing the hard white scumm that nothing else would. This was just a test and I'll report back in the next week or two with more test runs results.

Did u ever get around to trying it out, and if so how did it work for ya?

New member and wanted to confirm the need to protect plantings and lawns from Soda. The rise in Ph will brown out plants, but you could prevent some by soaking the lawn/plants for several hours before and after with fresh water.

I only do Soda Blasting, but am looking into powerwash equipment too.

I am a new forum member. Our company sells baking soda and Maxxstrip. Maxxstrip is made from kieserite mineral. You can learn about kieserite at K+S KALI GmbH - Home. We take the mineral, screen it to fine, medium and coarse sizing. We blend flow aids to enhance media flow. Maxxstrip has a neutral PH. It will wash into the soil and enhance plant life. Maxxstrip is much more aggressive than baking soda abrasives.

Please visit Soda Blast :: Garnet Abrasive Media and Equipment.

We also have equipment suited to our abrasives for water and dry blasting applications.

Our technical sales rep is Gary Birdwell. Call him at 800-528-7086 x 15.

Sincerely,

Dan Schulse