Sign in to follow this  
growlydog

Anyone ever done Mold Remediation?

Currently I am working as a Traffic Surveyor. I want to start a Pressure Washing business but lack the capital to get it going. On top of that, my job has me travelling so much that I don't have the time to work on anything related to P/wing because I am almost never home. So I have been considering a job locally as a Mold Remediation Tech.

What can you tell me about the trade? What should I expect as far as pay, and is the pay worth it? I don't know much about mold remediation other than that you go in and clean the mold out of buildings, but is it a really grimy job? Is there any danger from the mold? Any and all info you can give would be great.

Thanks,

growlydog

I don't do it but looked into it briefly. It is removed with a DRY soda blaster.The soda knocks it off and leaves the wood looking new.

I could have attended a class two days long and been certified but had to work at FT job and since I wasn't going to do it in my business wasn't burning two V days for it.

Don't know the cost for you, I was eligible as disadvantaged business from Katrina. It was going to be like $125.00 my portion.So I was getting a discount but would bet I wasn't getting an astronomical discount.

The dry blaster runs about $5,000 and then you have to have a compressor large enough (one of those on a trailer is what I see people around the city using) to power it.

Hope this little bit helps.Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in.

Scott

Oh yeah hot work.

You are in an in an evironmental PPE suit and wearing a respirator.

With the PPE no health riskd as far as I know.

I have no idea on pay especially in CA.

Please Please Please get training before attempting mold remediation. Dry blasting is just one of many ways to remove mold. I could go on about mold remediation. I have yet to see any one talking about testing and clearance procedures. I will Just say this one more time this is NOT a Simple task nor is it a DIY task.

I do mold work.

Never blasted anything, but that would have helped, in a couple cases.

We've plastic'd off whole sections of houses, opened the walls, and brought in the ventilator fans and heat.

In some cases we replaced wood, in others, we applied an anti-mold killing product that was $250 a 5.

I think the mold probably messed me up a couple times, for months at a time.

I still get kind of a sensation when I get around a place that's got lots of mold, or when I get a big whiff of it.

All we ever got was painters wages.

If you could get hazmat scale, that would be good!

r

Hey Tmrrptr:

Man it sure sounds like that you guys were not protected properly. You guys should have had Air puriying respirators not surgical mask, Tyvex suits air scrubbers, and a clean up area as well as showers. Whenever you are doing that type of work generally these are high cost and paying jobs. You should have been given proper training as well. Mold is nothing to mess with unless properly protected and trained. If you are protected properly you should not have experienced the problems that you experienced, unless it was some other medical conditions. Good Luck and I hope you re feeling better.

I do quite a bit of Mold Remediation as a Sub-Contractor for a few disaster restoration companies.

First thing is to get the training certification - IICRC is basically the governing body of certification(s) that are recognized by Insurance Co's and the Industry itself. There are many training companies that offer IICRC courses/certification - all are regulated by the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification).

Once educated you'll have an idea of equipment required for Mold Remediation, of course depending on types of jobs you want to gear towards.

I stayed subbed out and do Dry Ice Blasting, works like Soda for Mold on wood, it cleans it up like new but kills the mold on contact (of course dead mold is still potentially harmful - you'll learn that via certification). As well, I'm able to remediate concrete in basements as well. Most work is attics, improperly vented, br vents etc.

MR is tough work, but it pays really well - I'll say it here, "Mold is Gold"

Like Steve says above, if you properly protect yourself you WILL have no worries about health effects - better to over do PPE then under do it.

Well!

The mold thread popped up again...

It is a problem that is not going to go away.

With the number of foreclosures, there will be many homes closed up and not properly ventilated, and those that have developed leaks WILL have mold growth.

I can see where many structures shall need to be gutted.

Co2 is spot on... You should not do it without some sort of suitable training. I just dive right in there...

Yes, my respiratory system is shot.

From that, and other things.

Dateline or 20/20 did show on how much bs is involved in the field. Think it was some sill and plumbing areas they set up with a lite coating of mascara to try and trick contractors into making false claims or taking advantage without testing. Was sorta unfair to be doing that to them but some bit hard and tried selling home owners on fancy/expensive removal schemes before testing what it was they were looking at. Yes it isn't at all same as a house full blown growing fur and such inside the walls in a disaster or closed up foreclosure situation that Rich mentions but it speaks volumes to me on guarding pocket book and buyer beware.

Yea ya don't want to be living in and breathing any kind of the stuff be it a killer version or not so yea it has to be taken care of properly by at least using proper respirator. I can only assume disturbing it while dry by way of cutting into walls to get at it would be main problem.

Probably just like asbestos abatement involving huge range in pricing due to fear tactics. I don't hate that a guy gets to charge more for protections, swetting more, or cause they have more knowledge.

Can't say I care much for regulatory mandates that tend to promote undo fear though in order to create a whole industry that many might claim is oversold, price inflated, or exagerated. Mystification seems involved more so than actual educating the people and I can't say I care for that in a trade...

Co2, That is good info to have..Thanx for contributing and being helpful! :)

Yeah, I saw that video - IICRC actually shows it during their Mold Certification training, for a couple of reasons.

It is incredible that there are so many dishonest people out there, how people take advantage and are taken advantage of.

Yes, from my training and research I would say that 'things' are overdone when dealing with Mold Remediation - however, I will say this...it's better to be safe than sorry. I've seen local contractors take advantage of little old ladies attempting to sell their home (mold is found) - makes me sick - I've gone in and done the job in less than half of their quote and I still feel like I made more than enough. Just like anything I suppose, educate yourself every which way possible - as a contractor and consumer.

Thanks MMI...

Mike