Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye

Downstreaming Question..

Question

I'm thinking of switching to downstreaming from the M5. I have a 4GPM machine. Would a size #25 be better for me than a #40. I'm thinking of getting both a 25deg and 00deg sray pattern for the chem application. Also, I usually pull out 200' of HP hose. How long does it take to clear the line of chems when rinsing and about how much chem is wasted when I clear the line.

Thx,

Chris

21 answers to this question

I'm thinking of switching to downstreaming from the M5. I have a 4GPM machine. Would a size #25 be better for me than a #40. I'm thinking of getting both a 25deg and 00deg sray pattern for the chem application. Also, I usually pull out 200' of HP hose. How long does it take to clear the line of chems when rinsing and about how much chem is wasted when I clear the line.

Thx,

Chris

Hey Chris,

I have a 4gpm machine and just recently went to downstreaming for houses. I use a 4040 for close chem application and a 0030 for long distance. It takes about 10 seconds for the line to clear of chems, I always leave just a little bit of the house unsoaped, then stop spraying chems, switch from my soap tip to my rinse tip, and then finish applying chems on the house as my line is clearing out so there is no wasted chems. Wasted chems is wasted money, it takes a little getting used to but you'll get the hang of it. I also recommend calling Bob at Pressure Tek if you need any downstreaming advice and or a good injector and an assortment of tips, he knows his stuff.

Personally, I like a 25 for close-in rinsing. 10 to 20 seconds is about right to "clear" the line, but, depending on your mix, it may linger for several minutes. If that happens, you can drop the chem line into your tank (or a bucket with a gallon or so of water, to very quickly clear the chem line.

I would also recommend changing-out the ball bearing in the downstreamer to ceramic - they usually come with steel. Also, get a replacement spring or two to have on hand for when it breaks.

G'day

I'll second Johns comment about the ball, the Stainless Steel or Chrome covered (which mine came with) don't last more than a few hours with the 12% chlorine. I've found that the ball pits and corrodes, and you know this has happened when the ball jams and no chemical is drawn in.

You should sorten your hose to 150'

Why do you suggest shortening the hose? Please explain.

For me that's not always an option, my unit stays on the trailer and how ever much hose I need to get the job done is how much hose I use. When I'm on the front of the house or a close side, I'll use one 100' section of hose, as I get around back or the far side, I'll slap on another 100' section. Sometimes that's not enough and I use another 50' section. Even at 250' of hose I don't think it's that big of deal to wait for the line to clear out.

For maximum draw use the 5-8GPM injector and attach in between two 100' sections of hose.

Mike

I don't understand this concept either. The whole point of downstreaming for me, is so I can leave all my sh*t on the trailer. Just my .02 cents

John,

When I click the link in your signature to your site, I get something that is not a site.

All better now. Not sure why I had to add /index.htm to the url, but that is what it took.

The key to downstreaming on long hoses is to drop down in oriface size. If you are currently using a 5-8 gpm drop to a 3-5 gpm. I downstream on 300 ft of hose everyday with a 9.3 gpm and 8.5 gpm machines.

All better now. Not sure why I had to add /index.htm to the url, but that is what it took.

Great looking site!

BTW, there is a typo on your 'About Us' page- 'gargen' instead of 'garden'.

HTH.

Thx,

Chris

On the 5.6gpm machine, I use a regular black soap tip, or a home-made zero degree (a 3/8" hose barb screwed into a 1/4" plug) for soaping, and a 2515 and 0010 for rinsing.

It only takes a few seconds to clear the line. I've heard guys use that as a reason not to downstream, but it doesn't make sense. I've not had luck downstreaming with more than 200' of hose, but I use 200' regularly with no problems. I keep a pump sprayer with 50/50 10.5% and water for times when the algae is REALLY heavy, typically on the gutters, foundation, or window ledges/horizontal trim on acrocrete. Even when I have to use the sprayer, it is faster than having to Xjet the entire house.

For maximum draw use the 5-8GPM injector and attach in between two 100' sections of hose.

Mike

If I have to do that, why not just Xjet?

I just ordered a 3-5gpm injector to try on the 8gpm machine. The 5-8gpm injector works fine, but I'm hoping for a slightly better draw.

I had all these problems then I called bob at pressure tek and he sent me everything I need for under $50 and I have no problems. Run 250' of hose and leave the bucket at the truck.

I had all these problems then I called bob at pressure tek and he sent me everything I need for under $50 and I have no problems. Run 250' of hose and leave the bucket at the truck.

Yeah, what he said. Bob is the man! Give him a call Chris, he will help you out. http://www.pressuretek.com/

Thanks everyone, I have called Bob and ordered my stuff. Bob has been great. I just hope he isn't sick of me yet. I think I've called him about 10 times by now..LOL. I'm excited to try out the downstreaming technique, I know I will love the time savings. Keep the tips coming.

Thanks again,

Chris

Bob helped me as well, and I have been using the set up on 200' of hose and no issues. It has been great to leave the bucket at the truck and not worry about getting the chemical where you want it.

Thanks again Bob

If I have to do that, why not just Xjet?

I just ordered a 3-5gpm injector to try on the 8gpm machine. The 5-8gpm injector works fine, but I'm hoping for a slightly better draw.

Hey Mike how did it work out for ya?? I am thinking of setting up my new 8gpm for ds and was needing to get me some tips

Hey Mike how did it work out for ya?? I am thinking of setting up my new 8gpm for ds and was needing to get me some tips

Works great! Both downstreamers work well on the 8gpm machine, though not well with over 200' of hose. I rarely need more than that. I can usually draw ok with 300' if I don't use a tip at all...this wouldn't work for 2 story work, but works just fine with single story stuff, though it is a bit sloppy.