Sign in to follow this  
clean kentucky

backbrushing pads

Question

Just wondering what some of you guys use to back brush stains. I use the shur line deck pads from Home Depot, but would rather use something else because they don't last very long and the little fir like stuff falls off and leaves little pieces all over the wood. Thanks!

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

14 answers to this question

We use Shurline pads too, but we make sure to only get the exterior deck and fence pads. #00760

These are thicker and have a better adhesive backing. Most sealants today have ingredients that make the little fibers come off but they end up coming off later anyway.

Some decks are so badly feathering and splintering that it is a difficult time trying to keep from loosing parts of the pad on them. In these cases, we try to work in one direction on these boards to avoid the problem.

Shane, those pads look like they have a thick tuft of wool on them, do you have much problem with that getting caught in the wood?

Rod!~

Shane, those pads look like they have a thick tuft of wool on them, do you have much problem with that getting caught in the wood?

Rod!~

When the pads are new the rough wood/splinters can be tough.You need to soak the pad in the stain real good so it slides over the wood.The older splintery decks usually cause you to come up with a porcupine on a stick!

That is the same pads I use Rod. I seem to go through a couple staining a good size deck. Yes the little fibers do come off later, but was just wondering if they're was anything better out there I have not tried. I may try Shane's pads to see if they are beter.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

I use the shurline pads too, but my problem is more that they slip off the handle after awhile rather than wearing out or coming apart. Nothing like having one fall off onto a new concrete patio below the deck, splattering stain everywhere.:furious:

Wow you go thru 2 pads on a deck??

My pads last me 2 or 3 decks sometimes more depends how old and splintery they are.

If you are using a stain with mineral spirits in it that will eat away the sponge also.

I use the shurline pads too, but my problem is more that they slip off the handle after awhile rather than wearing out or coming apart. Nothing like having one fall off onto a new concrete patio below the deck, splattering stain everywhere.:furious:

That's funny i had a friend having that same problem with them sliding off.I told him about the Padco and he loves them just for that reason.

The padco have folding clips on each side holding on to the arm it's attached to.

Shane, I do use one on decks under 1000 sq., but usually two on anything bigger than this. They don't wear out totally (the little fir just falls off and makes a mess on the deck) I don't try to clean them after the jobs over, they are too inexpensive to clean. (3.00 with tax)

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

Doug,The Padco pads will hold up like night and day compared to those Shurline pads.You just have to soak the pads real good in stain cause the lambswool will leave some fuzzies like on rough fences.It does stop once the pads are soaked in stain.

I bought a better Shurline recently. The pad was more firmly attached. I've glued the pad to the handle in the past. Just threw the whole thing out when I was done.

I tried using the paint pads years ago and had the problems of wear, slipping off the holder, etc. Switched to using very large, 6" natural bristle brushes threaded on the top so a standard pole can be attached.

There are a few advantages. For oils, I think natural bristle is superior in even spreading and "working" the oil into the wood. It also allows working the oil into the cracks between horizontal deck boards. Second, the brushes last a lot longer than pads.

Probably depends on the stain you use. For the first time RS decks I do, the first application of oil is sprayed with a HLVP sprayer, no backbrushing. The second application is again sprayed on and quickly backbrushed for even spread using a 6" natural bristle brush on a pole.

I usually spray the floor even when it is too breazy to spray the railing but it seems like a great tool on extra windy days. I usually use a 4in thick nap roller for the rails and I can do them fairly quickly. Do you guys use a pad on the rails?

I usually do the tops of the rails by hand with a stain pad, once after I do the outside of the spindles, and again after I shoot the inside.

I also use the cheap disposable pads that are attached to a styrofoam handle. I think they cost about a buck, and I always keep a couple in my box. They are are 3 1/2 wide, so they fit nicely between the spindles on the ledger board if the builder used a 2x4 to space them when he built the deck.