Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

old brick help!

This is a 2000 square foot brick building that is going to be turned into a duplex.I got the call today to clean it but I'm not sure if the white stuff is efflorescense or not. I've cleaned mold/grime from brick before but this is my first time running into this.will safe restore take care of it.I'd like to do some testing before giving my price but they want it soon. thanks alot

post-1611-137772161565_thumb.jpg

post-1611-137772161571_thumb.jpg

post-1611-137772161576_thumb.jpg

Dustin,

On heavy efflorescence, we used Ef-fortless by EacoChem. You have to be careful on application as you can pull the color from the brick. You can call Roger or check in with Jim Carroll. Both are very good with brick and use different products so you can get opinions on two lines.

Celeste

I deal with a guy up here in PA. Your best bet is to call them.

I think any of the above would be effective. On older, porous brick I like the GSR. Always wet your substrate before applying an acid. Start weak and apply twice. Brushing also helps.

I bought heavy duty restoration cleaner for my house, its red brick, and thats what the guys recommended for my 90 years of Pittsburgh pollution build up. The couple questions i have are these.

1. how to protect your windows

2. what kind of clothing/gloves/boots

3. can you spray the cleaner on with a plastic sprayer with no metal parts.

4. how do you protect your plant life below, can you neutralize the soil...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Mike

Mike - you have one of the most knowledgeable brick restorers on the planet right there in Pittsburgh. His name is Bob Port and he distributes many of the restoration lines available. Super nice gentleman - pm me if you want his phone number :)

Celeste

nice and useful information.......

Please gp tp your settins in your profile and complete your signature line. House rules!!!!!

Welcome to TGS.

I bought heavy duty restoration cleaner for my house, its red brick, and thats what the guys recommended for my 90 years of Pittsburgh pollution build up. The couple questions i have are these.

1. how to protect your windows

2. what kind of clothing/gloves/boots

3. can you spray the cleaner on with a plastic sprayer with no metal parts.

4. how do you protect your plant life below, can you neutralize the soil...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Mike

Please go to your settings in your profile and complete your signature line. House Rules!!!!!!

Welcome to TGS.