Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

Oh Boy, I need help!!

Question

HELP! 3 weeks ago, I washed a customer's house. It's a vinyl home, 2 story, nothing unusual about it. I used Rowlett's Citracleen mix and 12% bleach. This is the same mixture I've used on a million houses. I received an email from this particular home owner this afternoon stating that he has screens with "segments falling off the frames" and others with areas that are "disappearing." He also said that the deterioration gets worse daily. Is this possible using this mixture? I've never had any issues like this and have certainly never ruined anyone's screens. Does anyone have any literature that might help me prove that this can't happen? Any help would be VERY appreciated. I'll obviously need to contact him quickly. Thanks everyone.

- John

8 answers to this question

HELP! 3 weeks ago, I washed a customer's house. It's a vinyl home, 2 story, nothing unusual about it. I used Rowlett's Citracleen mix and 12% bleach. This is the same mixture I've used on a million houses. I received an email from this particular home owner this afternoon stating that he has screens with "segments falling off the frames" and others with areas that are "disappearing." He also said that the deterioration gets worse daily. Is this possible using this mixture? I've never had any issues like this and have certainly never ruined anyone's screens. Does anyone have any literature that might help me prove that this can't happen? Any help would be VERY appreciated. I'll obviously need to contact him quickly. Thanks everyone.

- John

Go look at them, were they bad when you did them. Are they vinyl screen or metal????????

Ive seen metal where I've left marks on them, they were old and sort of dry rotting.

Thanks for responding Jeff and Beth! I will be going out there tomorrow, so I will make sure to take some digital pictures and post them on this thread. Have either of you ever heard of this happening?

I have a little more clarification...I just spoke to the home owner...He explained that right after I left, his wife noticed "holes" in the screen that have worsened over the last 3 weeks as if acid was eating at them. I contacted Steve Rowlett and he has assured me that this scenario is impossible using his mixture. I am heading there tomorrow to take digital pics...

They are old screens. I've seen them, you look at them from a distance they look fine. When you get up close to them you can see that all the screen isnt there. This also can be done when your washing Ive left marks in screens from Xjet. It is like the screen is dry rotting. Screens that are in sun most of the day will do this. Check if its all of them or just the ones in the sun.

Now is it your fault, No not really, yes your pwing caused the mark or wear, But is it your fault that these screens are old & brittle and worn by the sun.

Hopefully its not all of them. Id explain that the screens may be old and have worn due to the sun.

I bet these screens were already failing and the homeowner just didnt really notice it until they checked out the PWing

Good luck and get some pics and tell them you'll get back to them. Dont promise them anything until you know whats going on

JL

I hate to say it John, but I think that you are going to be eating a couple of screens....Hopefully though you and others can learn a lesson from this. I use to not worry about checking the kitchen exhaust fans until....well, pretty much the same thing happend. I turned it on and there was tons of vibration and I ended up fixing it about 4 hours later, but I learned my lesson. I always turn the fans on and off before I clean them now. And always take before and after pics....

I've never done a house wash and I know nothing about them, but at least you know now what to pay attention to. Hopefully the homeowner understands and you only have to replace a couple.

Good luck partner...

It is hard to explain but in SOME case screens are easy to replace. Some have a rubber strip that presses down into a groove to hold the screen in. You simply pull the strip out and the old screen is removed. Go to a home store and get the proper size screen on a roll, cut the screen a little big and push the rubber strip back in pinching the screen in place, also stretch the screen best you can. Very inexpensive. Hope this helps.

- John

John,

I also have used the citracleen mix for close to 3 years and have never had any problem like you are mentioning. When I go to give a quote, I usually walk the perimeter of the home with the homeowner beforehand and look for any 'trouble' spots. I also take digital pictures of the entire home before I do each job. This serves 2 purposes. 1.) To CYA for stuff like this and 2.) for my portfolio/website. I've been fortunate so far, no complaints, but if it ever does, I'll be able to go back and see the before pictures. Hope that helps.

John W.

Superior Pressure Washing

Fayetteville, GA