Sign in to follow this  
Jhignutt

PW problems

Question

Does anyon have any answers to my problem with my cold water pw? Last week i bought a rental pw MITM 2504 belt drive cold water machine from a local rental yard and it worked great until today. Last Saturday i had it hooked up to the homeowners water bib directly then today i hooked it up to my 525 gallon tank and it would run for a while then it would just shut off. Took the water feed off of the coupling and it looked like plenty of water going in dont know how it would be any different from tank and direct to the homeowners bib. Also dont belt drives pull water to the machine?

7 answers to this question

The hose from the tank to the machine needs to be larger than a garden hose. Also, garden hose can collapse when sucking water from the tank, so use a stiffer hose.

Is the motor just stopping or are you not getting water?

All pumps will pull water to a certain extent weather it is belt or direct drive. Check to see that you do not have an obstruction in the tank or the inlet filter in on the pump. Also make sure the connections are tight and no air is getting in the system.

If your motor is stopping check the oil level, it may have a low oil shutdown. If you have a Honda engine check the gas cap, you may be getting a vapor lock from a bad cap. Just take the cap off or loosen it and see if it runs ok. Check your air filter to make sure you are not starving the machine of air. Otherwise? Need some more info. Good luck if you need more help you can call.

One of the mechanics here (21 years experience) was telling me when the pump seals are going out it can have troubles pulling from a tank but will work with forced water, ie...hose bib. Just like stated above

What Kind Of machine U using? I Had The same Problems With a BE 3500Psi Cold water...That's Why Im Using A Hot Water Unit...Cheaper To Keep Up & Maintenance Is Real easy To Do....Also It Gives Your Business A better View!!!

The hose from the tank to the machine needs to be larger than a garden hose. Also, garden hose can collapse when sucking water from the tank, so use a stiffer hose.

or a shorter supply hose to reduce the distance of draw.

One of the mechanics here (21 years experience) was telling me when the pump seals are going out it can have troubles pulling from a tank but will work with forced water, ie...hose bib. Just like stated above

This is true but more than likely the low pressure seals would leak when water was forced.

Also as Paul stated does the engine shut off or does the pump lose pressure?