Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

solid latex

Question

I preach to everyone to walk away from these darn things and then I get involved in not one, but two. Two small decks with a nasty rose colored solid latex on them. I normally turn these down because I know at best I could only remove 80% of the latex and that it just wouldn't come out right. But for some reason this just felt different, it was a referral and the homeowners are just a little old sweet couple that could easily afford my services. The old guy is really cool and insisted he didn't care how they turned out, he just wanted them a different color and would "make it worth my while". So I did a test spot and explained I couldn't get it all off without damaging the wood and that we would probably have to go with another solid. They were very labor intensive because I'm so picky, I just wanted every bit of the latex off. I used Timber Strip Pro, full strength at 30 minutes dwell time and 1000psi, each deck took me 3 hours. Here's the first deck up front.

post-826-137772164125_thumb.jpg

post-826-13777216413_thumb.jpg

22 answers to this question

Here is the deck in back. I'm guessing I got 90% of the latex off, there is still traces of it on the spindles and places that you can't see in the pic, but I'm pretty happy with the results. The HO's are just ecstatic with the results and don't want a solid on it. They don't care if some of the latex shows thru, they want a light natural colored semi trans on it to show the beauty of the wood. I guess if their happy, I'll be happy. But I'll still think twice next time, it was just too much work.

post-826-137772164135_thumb.jpg

post-826-137772164139_thumb.jpg

I also got to test my new mini Phelps wand that I made to apply stripper using a shurflo. It's only 12" long and it worked out real slick. This whole setup is so much faster than using a pump up.

post-826-137772164144_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone, I knew from reading so many great posts from wood professional guys and girls here at TGS, that the key was going to be the long dwell time. Thanks again.

Barry,

Great job. Where can I look into or purchase TimberStrip Pro ?

Sorry, I've been busy lately. Looks like Shane and Mike have steered you in the right direction though, thanks guys.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm still waiting to stain these babies, it started raining as I was finishing stripping and it hasn't stopped since. I'm curious to see how bad the fuzzies are.

How long do the giant Q-Tips last you mike?

like anything else, it depends on the wood.....on newer lumber, they last and last, but they get torn up on older stuff when the wool snags the splinters etc....they're just awesome for spindles when I dont spray (bben to damn windy lately to spray) pads and paddles and brushes today.

and they ain't expensive. so I just ordered a boatload (well, maybe 15)