Sign in to follow this  
Keth

Dawn Apple Blossom

Question

While at Costco today I saw Dawn Ultra Apple Blossom and had a little chuckle cause I have read about you guys adding squirts of this to your housewash and roof wash so I bought a big bottle of it. Was mixing up some housewash when I got home for a job on Monday and read the label for kicks before adding some Dawn for it's flowery scent and it says "DO NOT ADD BLEACH". Couldn't see any ammonia in the contents so I was wondering what's up with that? Are you guys poisoning yourselves slowly or is it just exteme caution on the part of the makers of DAWN?

ultra_antibac_bottle_new.jpg

9 answers to this question

I never knew this but was informed recently that each color of Dawn has different levels of cleaning and possible toxicity. Is this true? It seems far fetched as I would think P&G (or whomever makes Dawn) would want uniformity for quality control.

The Apple Blossum foams up better than any other flavor. The blue dawn does give off a smell thats weird and the blue & orange just doesnt seem to foam and work as well

I have heard the same and if you call the Dawn info line it also says dont mix, bleach & Dawn. althou I never could get through to an actual person on the info line and I tried several times.

Im not telling anyone its OK to use, but it works for us great on vinyl buildings & for spot free windows

JL

Well Jeff unless you find that your head isnt fuzzy and your memory is good you are using one of the Dawn brands, of which there are many, that is okay. Tough to figure out.

Ken, it is odd regarding their product line. They have so many products labeled under the Dawn brand it is hard to tell what is what. This Dawn Ultra says on the label in one place it is a hand cleaner and in another place it says dish soap. Too confusing. If you go to their site they have like 40 different versions of Dawn so I imagine the Original is OK but you have to be careful with all the new formulations in case they added something odd to "boost" it. Good luck finding the Original anymore as the American consumer typically goes for the "improved" or "Ultra" version.

I will let the Ultra Antibacterial Dish/Hand soap sit for other uses for now. Original Joy should work fine!

Cheers

Im not telling anyone its OK to use, but it works for us great on vinyl buildings & for spot free windows

JL

Just curious how much you add? Something like a half a cup to a fiver?

Thanks

just wondering if you would share your roof mix? i've tried xjetting with no luck.having to use to much solution and many applications when xjetting.

thanks,stan

Xjetting roofs may not be the most effective way to clean roofs, but is the way I've always done them, it works good and can be done fast with less walking of the roof

I use a 3 GPM machine and I put straight 12% & Dawn and I Xjet it. The lower GPM the more chem you get. I always have a ground man too

JL

Well I have it too and is the one that says hand cleaner/dishwashing. (read the label also)..My take on it is that I can't imagine it having any amonia in it due to it being meant for hands and for in-kitchen use. The liability issues of it accidentally being used along with autodishwasher stuff, which usually contains bleach, would just be too great for a manufacture to ignore. Many dishwashers drain directly into kitchen sink or the drain thereof. Doing dishes both manually and auto at same time might never have been more dangerous than this stuff being on the market now..haha, j/k ... :)

Companies are always writing such things on containers whether or not there are any dangers. Often times they'll just write "do not mix with other household chemicals" for liability sake. I imagine that beyond the obvious dangers of mixing bleach and amonia they also don't want the responsability of damaging peoples items through sinergistic type enhancements.

Don't know for sure but it seems these days there is law where the lables have to say "contains bleach" if product does so why not for one with amonia? It would be contradictory to what they trying to prevent in the way of poisonings if not.

But anyways.. Some day I fully expect to see a bottle of bleach with label saying "Do not mix with bleach".

p.s.

philip: You must use a "bleach stable" soap. For example: Laundry soap is bleach stable, dish soap generally is not. Also, some chemicals that are bleach stable at 0-2% concentrations are not stable at 6-12%. It's just too hot of a mix.

Maybe Philip will revisit this to get away from debating..hehe :)