Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

Price

We just took a crash course in awning cleaning.One of our window washing customers ordered the starter kit from www.awningcleaning.com , per my suggestion.We have watched the video and read the training manuel.

Now I need to know what to charge.One awning is vinyl and one is cloth,both about 40ft in length,and maybe 5ft tall.We will need to provide our own water supply,I will use our 2300 psi pressure washer with a high/low nozzle, set on low for rinsing.I don't mind using the chemicals the customer bought,since I recommended them.

Should I figure and hourly rate that I want to make,or should I charge a flat price?

I need to start on these next week,quick replies would be helpful.

edited by OTP to correct link

http://www.dcs1.com/del/pricing.html

Use this thread, it is very informative with pricing guide lines.

I was thinking about purchasing the same start up kit. Please tell, was the tape worth its money? Was it informative?

Also, please let me know how your job goes? Would love to know the details of it----Was it easy or difficult? etc....

I seriously thinking about going into this service and would love some insight from someone who is performing this type of work.

Edited by OTP to correct link

When we finish the job,i'll post and let everyone know how the products work.The video is long,but informative.The written manuel covers all of the same stuff but it will be nice to have it on the job for reference.I have high hopes that the awnings will look great when we are done.The cutomer was more than willing to order and pay for the chems,and what we will be charging to clean them.The total length is 114ft so I'm giving a quote of $190,that is $1.50 a linear ft.,plus the cost of taking water to the work site.

OTP thanks for fixing the post for me,I did put www but when I edited the post it switched to url for some reason.

We will try to post pics of before and after when we get done next week.

Now this is what I want to hear about too as I also have been looking into adding awning cleaning to my flat work.

So do post pictures, do post time to do each awning and full job.

Also how the chemicals worked etc.

Jon

Make sure you thoroughly rinse the awnings, and do not let the chemical dry on them. Also, try to do a test on the least visible side to make sure the chemical and material/dye are compatible.

I do a few awnings for some of my customers, I wash by hand (very soft brush) and rinse with high volume and LOW pressure.

If any chem stays on and dries - you will have less than desirable results.

Pete,

We did the test spots today,everything was fine,we will be doing these this Sat.Pushed things up because the store closes at 1pm and we won't have to work around customers going in and out.

Yes we will be doing the underside also.We will be using soft brushes on poles.

I'll let everyone know how things go.

i have heard that if you use low pressure at first on the inside it will loosen up the surface dirt(pushes it out of the weave) and then rinse from the top down on the outside.

there are sites that do not recomend the use of p\w aswell....there are plenty of sites that you can find aswell to read up about the way they recomend you do it aswell.

We completed the awning cleaning sat afternoon,the chemicals from www.awningcleaning.com worked great.The vinyl awning was 1/2 red and 1/2 grey,the red looks new again,and the grey near prefect,with the exception of one stain from bird poop.the cloth awning looks great bringing a lot of the color in the stripes back brighter.

Sunday we returned to seal both awnings.It is peanut harvest time here(we are the peanut capital of the world) so the peanut mill in town is running 24/7,had to blow(gas blower) peanut dust from both awnings before we sealed.

The vinyl sealer was really easy to apply using a 10" window strip washer,it coats very evenly and the awning looks great.

The fabric sealer was applied with a pump up sprayer,about 8" above the surface,when dry there is not a lot of difference in the look but this stuff really repels water.

Total time on the job for both days was 4 hrs,picked up the check today from a very happy customer,he was ready to spend $7000 on new awnings before I suggested the cleaning kit.(these awnings are only 3yrs old,should last with proper care for 6 to 7 yrs).We bid $190 he paid $200,the extra $10 was just because.

I'll post before and after pics as soon as I can.

Guest rfitz

Sounds like you guys did a good job, but isnt $200 for 4 hours kind of a waste of time..? if you saved him $7000, I would have bid at least 10%

or a minimum of $750.00, maybe down there the cost of living is real low,

but here in the midwest, you couldnt last a month charging $50 an hour

I have to charge at least $125 an hour and that is labor only...

If we had been doing Pwing for the customer we would have been in the $90 hr plus range,but for this kind of work we can not get more than $50 hr.The customer only paid for labor,he had the chemicals on hand per my suggestion.I rarely give a customer the opportunity to buy their own,but since we were both taking a long shot on something new,it worked for both of us.

The cost of living here is lower than other parts of the country, and this customer will paid us $10,000 for different services by the end of the year.I wish we has 30 more just like him,he has never asked for a discount,nor has he ever questioned any price I have quoted him.

way to go scott....keep lookin they are out there:) ......where rob lives he semms able to command a top price that most parts cannot compete with.....if i emigrate i know where i will settle;)

paul.

You did take before and after pictures right, and you are going to POST them for we can all see your first job.

Don't worry how it came out, everyone knows the first couple jobs in a new field are not as perfect as the next one and the one after.

Just post the pics please.

Guest rfitz

Sorry Scott, I didnt realize he gave you that much work, I would then charge about the same for that job, you cant get better than repeat business, and it is always best to take care of your returning customers, and as far as my prices being high, Im not so sure about that, I think the national average for wood restoration is over $2.00 a sq ft, and I am in the $1.50 a sq ft range

which I think is more than fair, when you hear customers say things like building my deck was easier than washing and staining it, you know then how valuable your services are.. Once again, you did good at that price, my mistake

Guest rfitz

But you know what you are doing... with building a deck, it might take longer, but you will get it done and get it right, you could spend weeks washing and staining a deck, and it still look horrible, which is the case with all my customers that have tried and tried for years to wash and stain their own decks, now they know it is better to hire a professional if you want it done right

Jon,

Yes we did take before and after pics,haven't had a chance to get them developed yet,I promise I will some time next week.Ordering parts and such for our new rig had kept us busy,and seems like the phone is ringing off the hook for quotes,and we have at least 3 more weeks before our rig will be up and running.

One job for sure will be over $1400 and c ouple that will be in the $400 to $500 range,not to mention keeping up with our window washing.

I heard the national average for pressure cleaning is $50-75 per hr. I hear allot of people talking in the hundreds of dollars per hr and I can’t help but wonder what they could possibly be doing to command that kind of number. I understand different parts of the country can command a higher price but I have noticed in several post people referring to the $100 mark has being when they start to make money. I wonder why I can make a profit of my $50.00 per hour and others say it’s a waste of time. Yes I have liability insurance, license, marketing, storage on my trailer, etc, etc, hell even a new Dodge Ram. I’ve been doing this for three years, am I missing something?

It must be the Dodge. Just kidding, everyone needs to make their own price, as their is no set standard.

Prices for insurance, marketing, fuel etc vary place by place, so it makes perfect sense that you can make $50. per hour while someone eklse needs to make more or less. LIFESTYLE has a big play in it also.

Guest rfitz

I know auto mechanics that get $50 an hour on overtime, and they have no overhead, ???

Rob, I guess you’re the type who’s ego needs a little stroking. You are smarter than me, oh wise one. Happy now?. I have been working full time in this bizz for three years and I have a very good idea what it takes to keep mine afloat. (afloat meaning making money so there goes your theory) I strive everyday to do better, offer a better product, and yes make more money. That is why I come here to these boards. I cannot help be curious when people claim to make three times what I do for basically the same service. I looked at your web site, very nice, but I see you doing nothing, offering nothing different from what I do. So if it is your area that allows you to command that price why the 'better than you' attitude? If it is your skills, selling, estimating or otherwise then why not share? Hell wright a book, make money off your knowledge. I asked the question in my earlier post because I always get very good, sound information on this board. I do not come here to be lectured; I get that from my wife! Also, for some reason it seems you where a little hurt over my new truck. I don’t know why. Someone that makes over 200 grand a year can afford to make payments like I do! 60 more EZ payments and that suckers mine!

Seriously man, lighten up, its just water running through a hose. Rick G

Guest rfitz

Doesnt matter what I write about who charges what, if your happy with your income, that is all that counts...

rfitz,

I think Rick is responding to a couple of times you stated that a person HAS to make at least $125. an hour just to break even and the mention you pay your guys $8-$10/hr. CASH to to keep from paying the man, and your profit margin is 70%....thats all well and fine, but it kinda of flys in the face of the motion that you HAVE to charge $125./hr to break even.