Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

Difference in Makita models

Question

Does anyone know what the difference is between:

Makita 9227CY & 9227CX3

Is one better than the other? I know that's a subjective question... But given that they seem similar by part number, I'm looking for opinions.

What is the life expectancy of an Osbourne? Best one to buy? Where to buy?

Matt

PS.

My brother paid a painter to pressure destroy his deck inpreperation for sealing. No offense to the painters here, but this guy appears to have used a trillion PSI to clean the deck... Now I'm stuck with the clean up. Until now I've never needed a grinder/sander to take care of this kind of trouble. But, this deck is enormous, and I'm not gonna hit it with a palm sander.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

5 answers to this question

If they are the same exact tool the different number probably reflects an older version vs. a new version. Usually tools keep the same number but when they improve something or change something in the design or components they will change from type 1 to type 2 and so on for every change. Keeps it easy for the repair shop when they service a tool, they can use the correct parts diagram. some tools will slightly modify the number as in above.

If they appear to be the same tool, just double check. A slight change in number might also mean a slight difference in options. for example a drill with a keyless chuck may be 92227cy and the keyed chuck might be 922cx3.

O.K. did some more research for you. The 9227cy is just the polisher. The 922cx3 is the same polisher but was sold with extra items such as a dust bag or case. If you are buying it used, you are getting the same tool, but new, you get some add-ons. go to amazon.com and enter just the item number for each one and you will see what I mean.

Matt...

If it's that bad what about renting one of those large floor sanders that they use when refinishing wood floors?

It seems that it would be a heck of a lot easier on your back and would probably do a better job than a small

hand tool.

-Todd-

Fortunately the entire deck does not need to be sanded. But there are a couple of large areas, and many small areas. The deck is 650sf with almost 390 pickets.

I am going to have to re-wash the deck to get the areas that were missed, let it dry, de-fur the areas that were beat on, and then seal it with wood tux.

My brother wants to help me to save some money, and I'm going to let him so he can see what really goes into the process and come to a better understanding of why it costs so much to do the job right.

Any opinions on which Osbourne brush to buy, nad how long it will last?

Matt