Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Girl, 2, dies after drinking cleaning chemicals from soda bottle

Girl, 2, dies after drinking cleaning chemicals from soda bottle

Associated Press

LAKELAND, Fla., - A 2-year-old girl died after drinking poisonous chemicals her father had left in a soda bottle in the backseat of the family's sport utility vehicle, sheriff's officials said Monday.

Marily Mosso was pronounced dead Saturday night at Lakeland Regional Medical Center. Her father, Flavio Mosso, works for a Plant City company that installs marble and granite countertops and the chemicals are used to clean them.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office is still awaiting the results of the toxicology and autopsy reports to determine the type of chemicals, spokeswoman Donna Wood said.

Marily's mother, Gloria Mosso, was cleaning their vehicle Saturday while Marily was outside with her. Marily got the bottle through an open car door. After her mother saw she had the bottle and the cap was off, she took Marily inside. After Marily began vomiting, the Mossos rushed her and the bottle to the hospital.

Her death is under investigation, but Wood said there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.

"It's one of those very painful situations where we just have to remind one another we can't take our eyes off them (children)," Wood said. "The family was very distraught."

They say the worst feeling in the world is to have to lay one of your children to rest. I can't imagine how that would feel. Let alone having to go the rest of my life knowing that I was at fault.

Some times we all need the reminder. Thanks for posting that. If it only wakes up one of us to the possable consquences and how easily it can happen, it's worth the gut wrenching read. My heart goes out to the family.

Truly tragic. I constantly remind my kids that the garage is off limits and that they are never to go in there without an adult. Luckily they listen and I have all of the bad stuff on a high shelf and the 55ers have the bungs replaced each time.

Could never imagine the pain of one of my kids dying before me. I feel for the family.

Keth

I cannot even image how bad it must hurt. And at your own hands? Devastating...

The closest I have been to such tragedy is my in-laws. The buried their teen daughter (my wifes sister) after a tragic car accident. It's been 13 years and he (a very tough, street wise guy) still cannot talk about it without getting choked up.

Truly tragic. I constantly remind my kids that the garage is off limits and that they are never to go in there without an adult. Luckily they listen and I have all of the bad stuff on a high shelf and the 55ers have the bungs replaced each time.

Could never imagine the pain of one of my kids dying before me. I feel for the family.

Keth

For that very reason, I bought an 8x10 shed and moved all the gas, paint thinner, Raid, etc to the back of the yard. We moved all the medicine to top cabinets. We still have some stuff under the sink, but it's either just soap, or in spray bottles.

And my guys are always grumpy when I tell them not to put chems into anything but what I have supplied for them which is clearly marked and always kept in the shop overnight and not left in the vehicles.

How unfortunate the father did not have the forethought to have prevented this.

:think:

Rod!~

This article does not tell the truth behind this story. I am saray g mosso the older sister of Marily mosso and I know the truth behind her death. To start off she did drink the chemical that is true since I was the one who ran to my parents when I was 4 and told them she drank the chemical but the chemical that she drank only caused vomit and nothing else. It was even proven the chemical did not kill her because my dads boss at the time even drank the chemical to prove the point that the chemical only causes vomit. The real cause of her death was that the doctor who pumped her stomach to get the chemical out punctured her lung 3 times which caused her to have liquid go into her lungs. It was the fault of the hospital and especially the doctor who did not know what she was doing. I am writing this comment because I am bothered by the fact that this article makes it seem that it was my father's fault but it was no one fault ONLY the doctors and hospital fault. Since it was the doctors fault and was going to do time in prison my parents decided what was best was to let the doctor have her license removed since she had kids and my parents did not want her children to suffer from the mistakes she made. As well there is not much information on her since my parents wanted to keep her story out of the public eye as much as possible. Her death had a huge impact on me and my parents especially knowing that the police thought that it was my parents fault and even believed they abused me and my sister marily and that is not true at all. My parents are very loving and have always been there for me and have supported me in what I want to do. This is why I wrote this comment because this article bothers me knowing that it does not tell the truth behind her death. She will never be forgotten since she lives in my heart every single day and even my younger siblings who cake years after her passing also know her since we tell them stories on how she was like even if her time on earth was short she made a huge impact on everyone around her. Even if I was young when she passed away. Other than that I wanted to clear the information about this article and tell the truth since this article did sadden me since it is not the TRUTH behind her death.