Sign in to follow this  
Roger Oakley

Clean fence with a Shuflo set-up

Question

I have at last put together a Shuflo pump system for pumping/laying down chemicals. So thought I would try it out on a fence clean & stain that was booked. I know it's not as exotic as some of the picket fences you guys get over there, This property is on an island on the river Thames, no truck/car access, so my p/w would have had to be taken by hand over a foot-bridge, (did a deck clean and re-stain last year at same property) so thought I would try a low pressure clean. Used 2:1 mix of Sodium hypo and a little percarb, dwell time 10 mins, and just used a hose (no pressure washer) to rinse off. Citric acid to neutralise. Allowed to dry out then stained.

Owners happy and the shuflo system saved so much time, used to use a pump-up 5lt before. What a great way to do fences.

Roger

post-1658-137772166801_thumb.jpg

post-1658-137772166806_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Roger,

Congrats! With the chemicals and equipment you have obtained over the summer, you must be light years ahead of any competition in wood care in the U.K. The fence looks great, its amazing the different processes can do to wood without the use of high water pressure.

A customer with property on an island in the middle of the Thames must be pretty high brow, and should be a great source for referrals.

Thanks Guys, it has all been from the knowledge gained from this site that has helped me. Here are a couple more photo's of the main fence leading into the property. The panels are 6'x6' just a cheap mass produced type wood, but I think they came up looking really good. The summer house in the background, was stained by me last year.

post-1658-137772166833_thumb.jpg

post-1658-137772166837_thumb.jpg

It makes a few of us think back to when we first started and the way our methods have evolved since then.

Don't sell yourself short on the size of the job or the self-imposed lack of glamor in the work because no matter where you go you are needed to help those who own wood structures to keep them in good shape to last much longer than they would otherwise. You are establishing a standard there in the UK so look over your shoulder every now and then because others will soon follow you and your examples.

Nice job on the fence and hats off for your dedication to working in an area that wouldn't normally allow you to by taking your equipment over the little foot bridge.

Your coming along just fine on your work you are posting pics of. Looks real good.

Rod!~