Sign in to follow this  
StainlessDeal

Soy Seal?

Question

A buddy of mine saw this product touted "pretty hard" on HGTV's coverage of the national hardware show. http://www.biopreserve.com/index.aspx His wife is sold, and is now ready (with her friends) to tell me what a great future in wood restoration these visionaries are handing me.

I've been reading a bit, but started at the MSDS. Methyl Esters and Polystyrene? That's what I need: a laminated, food-grade deck.

Read up, Woodies! The future is now!:rolleyes:

9 answers to this question

Soy????? Isn't that practically the same thing as vegatable oil?? I think they've just made soybean oil look really "green". I've seen what happens to Soybean oil products......Fungi-fest!!! Tell your 'visionaries' you'd love to try it out on their deck!

Everett,

Why not just post?

Not one word? Only a link?

Come on. You can do better than that....

Everett posted: On May 10th & 11th of 2005 at the Forest Products Laboratory there was as unbelievable presentation on how nanotechnology will impact the Forest Products Industry.

In this presentation nanoscience, nanoscale, and nanotechnology were explored in depth. "Nanoscale" is a relatively new scale where materials properties, such as melting point and electric conductivity, differ significantly from the same properties in bulk. "Nanoscience" seeks to understand these new properties.

"Nanotechnology" seeks to develop materials and structures that exhibit novel and significantly improved, physical, chemical, and tribiological properties and functions due to their nanoscale size. The goal being to integrate nanoscale components into macroscopic scale objects and devices for real-world uses.

Some sites that were given at the time were:

www.nanotechforest.org

www.fpl.fs.fed.us

www.nano.gov

www.tappi.org

What this means is that we are looking at coating technology that will penetrate harder species of woods as well as making longer lasting and more durable coatings. This technology is expected to also create more improved composite material.

There is also a book out called "Nanotechnology for the Forest Products Industry, Vision Technology Roadmap", which I believe maybe authored by Ted Wegner.

In regards to current coatings I will leave you with this, the "Leading Expert" in this country who runs the Forest Products Laboratory uses a mineral oil based product that he makes up himself for his own deck! I'll leave the debating to others.

Beth :cup:

Jon Fife wrote:

I've seen what happens to Soybean oil products......Fungi-fest!!

My thoughts exactly. If you go to the info page, note that they sell mildewcide separately, "Customers have the option of mixing a mildewcide additive into SoyGuard® if exterior wood decks, fences and siding are located in an area subject to heavy mold growth."

Welcome to a new world. If the environmentalists and VOC police continue to run rampant, oil stains will soon be extinct.