Sign in to follow this  
PowerPlay

HUGE house - Need help!

Question

Hi All,

I have been in business for about 4 years now, and all is going well. We are mostly commercial work. However in the spring, summer, fall we do a lot of residential work. Mostly houses and decks.

I had a current customer come to me this week wanting a very large wood house restored (this year yet). We have done a small log home with great results but besides that we are new to the wood house market.

I am looking for advice on both the procedure and pricing side. Also, we are very open to working with another contractor on this project.

If the house was logs I would be confident but it is a wood siding. Not very thick probably around 1/4" or whatever the standard is. It presently has a very dark stain, the homeowner has no idea what it is, it was applied once on the new part of the house and twice (two different times) on the rest of the house. I think it is a behr product just by looking at it, but am not sure. We restored a pavilion on their lake/pond that had the same product on it and had to strip twice. However when we washed their house last year (efc-38) the stain seemed to want to release rather easily. We are performing some maintenance work for them next week and I will be testing a portion of the house.

I really don't want to strip this thing twice, I also don't know how the ready seal product would hold up over time because there are trees above. I have notices that with the semi-trans, sap does a killer on it.

I have estimated the wood siding at around 5,500 sf which seems to be a little on the low end.

I have attached pictures which represent about 2/3 of the entire house.

Any suggestions by someone with experience in this type of wood restoration would be greatly appreciated.

I have also considered recommending a lighter (since the customer wants to go light) opaque and having a painter come in and spay it. I think every 2 to 3 year maintenance will be a hard sell considering they have been in the house since '81 and only had two coats ever. The initial and another about 5 to 6 years ago.

How would you tackle this project, and where would your pricing be?

Thanks so much!

post-559-137772167447_thumb.jpg

post-559-137772167452_thumb.jpg

post-559-137772167455_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

I stripped a wood siding home last season that had several coats of stain on it. the thing I learned though was I should have charged twice the amount because I had to go over much of it twice and there was a considerable amount of sanding involved. Did you already deliver them an estimate? You can give me a call if you need help with something. I live in Marietta. (717) 808-6645.