Sign in to follow this  
dlamontm98

Marketing your janitorial business

I have a janitorial cleaning business. I'm just starting out--but I was wondering how would you go about marketing your business. I would like to get some banks, small business offices, maybe even some churches. You suggestions would be great----I'm looking to do this without the expensive cost of the yellow pages.

Thanks,

Derek

Hi Derek,

There are lots of wonderful things you can do. First of all, do you have any presentation materials? Liturature? A brochure? You'll need one of those. Also, you need business cards. The phone book is a good place to start, but be prepared to go out on foot into Dr.'s offices, etc. If you call, they're too busy. Go in and visit face to face and get a few momnets of their time. When you go in, eyeball the place for dirt. Find areas that might be lacking good service. Ask them if they are happy with their current company, and then ask if you can leave in formation with them on file if they say they are. Make sure your liturature has before and afte photos of any kind of cleaning work you have done where you can show dramatic results.

I hope this helps. I would spend more time with you here, but am on my way out of town to a convention tomorrow.

I'll be back online next Friday. Our members will help you any way they can.

Beth

Derek

I too own a janitorial business.

Join you local chamber of Commerce - Advertise in there monthly newsletter - great place to network.

Contact you local Medical Society Office - you can purchase a mailing list for there members. Its $50.00 for 253 doctors and their mailing list in my area. Request to get the "Office Managers" list - doctors don't have time to read flyers.

Cold calls - call offices that are larger - the smaller offices have the kid or uncle so & so clean there place of business. Not always, but you will find larger offices hire out more & offices with more than one partner. Reherse what you want to say and the message you want the business owners to hear. Smile as you talk on the phone - trust me. Also, repeat the business owners name several times - don't over due it.

Leather to the Pavement - Drop in these places of business. Never drop in at lunch time or late in the day - about 30 minutes after they open is good.

Janitorial Services is a hard business to get establish - low entry - meaning this - anybody can buy a mop, bucket, & vacuum cleaner and start a business. No training or large investments needed. Separate yourself from your competition. Customers are looking for Reliability - thats the number one complaint. Add Quality services to Reliability and business will come.

Your business will go as far as you take it.

I have been toying with the idea of some cleaning work to help keep the wolves away in the winter time. You may have already seen this site but theres allot of info here. I believe Beth is the one who originally gave me the link. Has a pretty cool bid estimator on it to.

http://www.bigmop.com/

Oops, never mind, they have changed there format since I was there last. You have to be a paying member to use the bid estimators.

Do you already have your equipment? I may be able to point you in the direction of some items that you may need.

OTP, not yet. I am waiting to get into the area I will be working to see if there is a demand for it. I will get to MD on June 1st and initially concentrate on the PW side and just keep my ear to the ground for the cleaning side and if it looks like there is market for it then purse it from there.

i personally don't like bid calculators. they can't factor things in like density of the work area and risk levels. just my personal opinion. they can give you a good GENERAL idea of the price, though.

Best advice I can pass along is be ready to perform when you present your services. ie. take with you a stain remover or odor control product that you can whip out of your briefcase/bag of tricks without having to run back to the truck. Look out for gum stuck to the carpet, easy task to remove on the spot with the right product. Good Luck and remember "Presentation without demonstration is just conversation"

Correct start up, advertising, bidding & getting good employees are the biggest problems that people face when starting a janitorial service/business. It related to commercial arena which typically provide a wider range of services than other cleaning services. Flexibility is an important factor which gives the industry a strong appeal to a wide range of people with a variety of goals. Online marketing is the best solution for promoting your business.