Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

A note on Customer Service

There is an old adage that goes

Give a thirsty man a drink of water and you will have made his day. Show that man a well and he will keep coming back for more.

Fine rigs, professional service and quality work can contribute to a happy customer. But like all positive experiences in life the contentment can be fleeting. I find it ridiculous how many bad contractors are out there (in the real world). I cannot believe how many half finished projects I run into out in the field. This of course starts many of us in a hole because the disenchanted customer has no reason to believe we will be any different from the last guy. It's reasonable for the customer to expect a decent job performed on time and on budget. But is this enough to sustain a customer for life? Probably not.

One question I continually ask myself is if I am providing the utmost in customer experience. Not only that am I consistent in delivering follow through and customer contact?

This is my opinion and as egotistical as it may sound I will beat anyone on customer service. I have spent 20 minutes on long distance calls with customers whom haven't purchased a thing from me. I will lose money overnighting a package that was damaged. If I can't do that I will refund a customer 20% if they had to wait for something on my end that caused them inconvenience. I'm sorry, there is no question asked. Nor should there be any rants or hard feelings on my part. Customers get bad service or attitudes from OTHER companies. They do not get it from me.

The Rule of 20/80

Anyone that owns a business has probably heard of this ratio. For those that haven't it goes.. Twenty percent of your customers will provide 80% of your business. Ask yourself.. Am I capitalizing on this rule? Here are some thoughts I have that may help you.

• Follow up after the check

- You're fairly certain you performed quality work. After all, the customer didn't stop the check and you didn't get a call back right? You should really follow up a bit more than just assuming everything is okay. Call the customer. Maybe you missed one side of a spindle and the customer just didn't want to bother you with such a small detail. Apologize and get out there and rectify it. Meet with the homeowner again and fortify your guarantee of outstanding customer service.

- Now that you are certain the job was done to the customer's satisfaction, send out a "How Did We Do?" questionnaire. Provide an SASE so they can return it to you. It is absolutely vital to track your performance and constantly improve your service. Maybe the customer thought your service and follow up were excellent but they really didn't like the sealer color you applied. I have started offering a 10% coupon to anyone whom returns a questionnaire. It works.

• Keep your name in front of them.

- A newsletter is your best source of ongoing marketing. make the customer feel a part of your organization. Let them know whats going on. Introduce a new employee.. Tell them about the new VOC compliance laws in your state.. Inform them of other services you offer. "Wow I didn't know PressurePros offered decorative concrete overlay" (I don't..just an example)

• Long term scheduling and commitment. If you can schedule them for next years maintenance cleaning at the time of job completion, do it. We have 85 maintenance cleanings scheduled for Spring '07. Of course some will drop out or reschedule but not a bad way to start off a season without having to spend a dime on new customer marketing.

• Spend your time productively. Are you a woodie that uses a moisture sensitive sealer? Did it rain the morning you planned to work? Go visit some customers. See how your sealers are holding up. I made a little "rainy day visit" flyer myself. Its no KBK but its cute and it lets the customer know I was there and I am following through on my commitment to their property maintenance. It also gives me a chance to plant selling seeds. "Hello Mrs G, I was here checking on your deck and noticed your pavers are a little green again. On our next deck maintenance we should probably get some type of sealer on them". I make a note in the customers file and now a $200 maintenance deck cleaning becomes a $400 job. On the same note if the customer calls me and is worried she should not wait to have th sealer applied I wave my minimum charge and we fit the job in immediately.

I am old school. I believe customer service above all else. Period. There are too many Ken's, Curves, PressurePros, etc etc out there to choose from. Once I get a customer, I want them for life. That doesn't happen because I pull up a rig the length of the the QEII or because my rig flows 10 gpm (neither of which is true of my equipment)

Read the above and let me know how you would react to a company that gave you this level of service. Would you respond to a company that offered to perform the work for less money? Would you take the chance?

I have seen a recent Merry Maids advertising blitz. Their byline?

Relax, its done.

That rocks. Give your customers peace of mind and they will stay loyal.

Ken you got the job! I agree, sometimes I do stop back by the customers house I completed earlier in the week, but only if I happen to be in the neighborhood. We should contact the customer for feedback, good or bad so we can keep improving and give the customer a chance to grade us on our service. A good follow up shows the customer you care, and today that is a step above most contractors.

Ken, excellent words. But we also must not forget those other 80% either. Include them in any follow-up that you may do. Even if they were difficlut customers. we must still attempt to turn them into good customers. If you please the difficult customer. they have a tendency to offer more referrals than your good customers.

I go by the theory of treating customers the way I want to be treated and better. Some times you just do the unexpected for them. I just finished a deck for a retired custromer. They were at home the whole time I was doing their deck but never bothered me except to make sure I had plenty to drink and to make sure I was not working too hard. They actually brought me a piece of homemade cake and we started talking about cakes. So next week when I stop by for a follow-up inspection, I will be taking them a cake from the local bakery. Do you think I will get some referrals from them. You bet.

It does not take much to please most customers. And with proper follow-up , you can actually cut your advertising budget because you will be getting plenty of referrals and repeat business.

Terry

The reason I ask the question is I was having a conversation with another business junky (cough Jon Fife cough) and he also mentioned that anytime he makes a post pertaining to business it doesn't get read much. I'm just so tired of reading about sealers, chemicals, roofs, etc. Its just me, having one of those days.

Does anyone read these threads or is "how much TSP should I add to bleach?" the more interesting topic. Just curious.

I read as much as I can. I really like your posts Ken, I just don't often reply much, but I think you have great content in all your posts. There may be others like myself that do a lot of reading, that just don't hit the reply button all that often. Thank you for all the good information!

Does anyone read these threads or is "how much TSP should I add to bleach?" the more interesting topic. Just curious.

Smart folks read them Ken or those that hang around....many others just don't have time as they be out there doing the grind.

I for one totally appreciate your business insight..Marketing and strategy seems to really be your element.. :)

I read as much as I can. I really like your posts Ken, I just don't often reply much, but I think you have great content in all your posts. There may be others like myself that do a lot of reading, that just don't hit the reply button all that often. Thank you for all the good information!

Ken,

Ditto what John said. I read your posts because I know that they will have great content that will be of benefit to me and my business.

Thanks,

Mike

Yeah Ken, another great post.

It would be a great round table for us to discuss our business models and how we all take care of and find customers. Take for example what someone uses for stain. If that is what you use, great. Next topic.

I also believe that customer satisfaction is the key. I started out just like anyone else. Right now I am having a hard time turning down business and have implimented a "deck assesment fee" to help weed out people. Other contractors in Atlanta are doing this.

You hit the nail on the head as far as new customers. By year 3 you should have enough referrals and old customers for it to be a great year without any marketing. Disclaimer: Now in some areas this may not work.

Again, great post.

Most of the time, I don't get paid right when I finnish the job. The biggest reason is that I can call the customer (or they call me) and ask how everything was, and set up a time to get paid or they can put it in the mail. More than enough times, they usually tell me about someone they have referred. Just a little tidbit on a way to "follow up"

Ken, everybody reads the posts

I beleive in customer service over just about anything. I can improve and I try to all the time.

My biggest part of customer service on the type of work and client I deal with is being on time to start a project and finishing on time. Property managers will ask how long the project will take. I give them an estimate on time and I always add a couple days, just in case. People, PM's, HOA's are lied to often. I can honestly say in the 3+ years I've been doing properties I have never screwed up on the time. Like you rather lose $ on a client Ken than have them have a bad experience. Like this year i got slammed with work (and I love it), I didnt want to hire so many guys, hell i didnt even really want to buy another rig, but to fit in the work load I had I had to hire & buy. I wasnt going to tell a PM "Oh I cant get to your project when I said" I'm not going to do a project that should take 5 days and stretch it out for 2 weeks. A lot of my name has been built on doing good work and doing it when I say. So i bit the bullet hired more guys and bought equipment that will do the work faster.

My word is everything in this biz and it should be with every person who serves the public.

I can't count how many horror stories I've heard from residential & commercial properties, I jut dont undersatnd how some people can look themselves in the mirror, with the poor service they give.

Many can do the job, they know how to, but then they dont show WTF, why are they in business

I want every customer to know I care and I am thankful for their business and they way a contractor does that is to do good work and do when you say you will

Ken we all listen and read your posts. You are like that old commercial...what was it?..... "When Merrill Lynch speaks....everybody listens" Well Ken maybe not everyone. Was it Merrill Lynch???

How much TSP do you use anyway?

Jeff

Ken,

Like John and Jeff said, your posts and other posts about biz and marketing are the very first posts that I look for. If there is one area of my biz that needs improvement, it's the posts like your's and Jeff's that I read very intently. I have printed and posted several of these posts on my office wall board at home to refer back to at a glance. Keep the posts coming.......you too, Jeff.