Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

5000 square feet of acrylic !

Question

Every year around this time I do a project from Hell-O there Mr Acrylic.

Two levels of deck, footpaths, pools, roaming dogs, tons of furniture both wooden and not, bushes, height and worst of all an acrylic that needed to come off. Most of it came off with HD-80. There were some spots (lower benches that needed to be treated with ABR Strip-It-All. Can you say $200 per pail?

The outsides of those bottom rails (there is ton you cannot see in the video), the rails directly against the siding, the above mentioned dogs and swimming pool not to mention having to move very heavy wooden furniture made this one a real blast.

Deck, furniture and all wood treated with Wood Rich by ESI.. 47 gallons worth. Rather than post a bunch of pictures I made a little video. I added some tunes so its fun to watch.

Enjoy

http://www.zippyvideos.com/2574838006177056/flynn_project/

No wildlife or vegetation was harmed in the making of this video.

21 answers to this question

The owner has a new dog house being built that I have to go back and do in the spring. I would have just given it a quick shot but it actually has windows and an aircondition system on the other side. He didn't want to pay for it so it didn't get done. I know its a shame the darn thing ruin some pics.

John T, you can never price a job that size well enough thats why I only choose one tough one every fall. Without giving away too much lets say it was between 5-10

The owner has a new dog house being built that I have to go back and do in the spring. I would have just given it a quick shot but it actually has windows and an aircondition system on the other side. He didn't want to pay for it so it didn't get done. I know its a shame the darn thing ruin some pics.

John T, you can never price a job that size well enough thats why I only choose one tough one every fall. Without giving away too much lets say it was between 5-10

Ken--yes of course you can't give away the price of what you charged and If I had to guess since you used 47 gallons of stain which with other items needed to get the job done(Gas,stain pads,brushes etc.) probably costing close to a grand on materials I would charge between 6-$8000+ for a job that size.

Since I do most of my stain jobs by how long it will take me instead of measuring out these type jobs I was just wondering if you calculated the total sq' footage of the job to figure your price.

The largest Deck job I did this summer with two other guys took us two days to do. One day to strip and the other day to stain. This deck was almost all surface with only a few walls to it. We used about 35 gallons of Cabots stain all put down with big fat brushes that screw on to a pole. Kind of like large scrub brushes with lighter bristles.

Ken,

You are in the wrong business, get a move on to Hollywood. The first half of that video montage was the scariest movie clip I have ever seen. 5000 ft. of acrylic removal is a true nightmare.

Congrats on making this planet a little better place for future generations. Slowly, with Herculean effort, we will beat back this foul plague.

Jim, the smaller the better.

John with having to apply multiple strippers, work around all the obstacles, sand some areas etc we had 50 man hours into this one. I estimated by the square foot when I did the proposal but.... I did a test spot on the lead in walkway which did not have the acrylic. I made the customer a promise to restore the deck starting with a strip so I had to bite the bullet and ate the extra labor hours and more expensive stripper (luckily only needed 7 gallons of it) I didn't lose money by any stretch but of course we got very busy and backed up fooling with this one. We are back on track now. I have four decks left and after that it is only going to be property washes.

Rick, we will not win. More and more formulations are including them.

Hey Ken, Really kool video and great job..That must have been a monster.

I did notice early in the video and 5 gal can of gasoline on the picnic table?????

Is that your "secrete to Stripping" LOL

hahaha gas, Behr brightener, a 1 gallon pump up sprayer and a 1.8 gpm washer. Those pics are the day I gave the estimate. The homeowner gave it a whack with above mentioned equipment and decided to pass. This guy was awesome to work for, very easy going but it was an ongoing obstacle course with garden hoses etc.

Ken that's quite the feat there! On a job like that I'd be walking around alot figuring what should happen next. I do that alot. Multiple strippers are tough, to say the least. Always concerned about how each will dry out and finish.

For a multiple stripper Q...how do you handle the usual grease drip spots dead center deck? Spot treat with higher dose of SH? I've had those spots finish up lighter than say the rest of the deck using a percarb or lighter SH mix.

Cool vid....btw. You're mired up in the 80's!

/neil

You're mired up in the 80's!

Who doesn't crank up some C+C Music Factory when they start staining some wood ??:dancing: :banana: :dance: :rotfl:

C'mon Neil you're at least part redneck aren't you? You don't like the Outlaw's Green Grass High Tides (released 1975 not the 80's)? I'm pretty sure if I put the music I normally listen to on the video it would be an ear assault. I didn't think Let The Bodies Hit The Floor by Drowning Pool was appropriate nor would be Du Hast by Rammstein. For the record I despise 80's music. C&C was definitely a tongue in cheek addition.

Oh my God Ken - I wouldn't even know where to begin to estimate that!

Great job though - so you like the woodrich product over the wtw now?

In the painting world - all the contractors here are spraying Cabot's acrylic PrO.V.T solid stain direct to bare wood siding. And I thought oil solid stain would never be replaced - is it time to hop onto the latex bandwagon? Are we being dinosaurs for not relinquishing oil based products? Certainly exterior latex paints don't crack and alligator like the old oil paints, or fade, or become chaulky. But this is a deck forum mostly - perhaps one day they will make a latex stain product that dives into wood and is strippable.

Hey Dan I think for paints, the new generation latex hands down outperforms the oils. I still prime exposed wood with an oil but all TC's are latex.

I like the Wood Rich because it can be given to my guys without a learning curve. It spreads better, dives deeper (you probably noticed the color differences of the newly sealed upper decks versus the area by the pool). I'm fairly certain it contains a parafinic oil as well as alkyd resins so it dives and it cures. To me that is the best of all world's in a sealer.