Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Bartering services

Anyone ever barter in exchange for their services?

We have done some commercial accounts that were mostly labor and the inherent job pricing was high enough that we could strike a deal with the client to pay us partly in certificates good at any of the locations and the rest in money enough to pay for the labor and minimal supplies and travel expenses.

This worked out to be a great deal because we had certificates to use as a promotional incentive towards customer rewards or if we wanted to patronize the place, it would help defer some of the cost.

Rod!~

We're bartering with some of our local contractors for work to be done at our home in exchange for work to be done at theirs :) This works nicely for "home repairs" that are a bit over our heads or that we are not equipped to do in a time/cost effective manner. I may also be doing some showroom work that may be exchanged for materials (for those home repairs that we can handle!) <---This one will work very nicely as the exposure we will get could be priceless!

Celeste

Guest Sopowerclean

I bartered child care for the entire summer for my 2 kids in exchange for pw and lawn care services for the summer. it was about 3300 dollars exchanged.

Not sure if this is true bartering, but took a chunk out of a bill for restoring a mahogany deck in exchange for a business logo from a customer who is a graphics artist.

....It makes me cringe. I don't like it. But I've got one coming up in January...only reason I did it was because the house was 3 miles from mine and new the weather could be questionable at times. It is a professional videographer that is going to do a video for us----haven't decided yet if it is going to be a customer DVD or a training DVD. But the camarapeople will have to follow us to about 4 different jobs over a few months to accumulate all the footage, etc.

I just don't like it. It will account for about 30% of the job total (the barter) so there is still profit, just not a lot. Oh well, it's a small job and close so can use it to fill in time I suppose.

Jon a video like that with crews following you, editing miles of clips, broadcast quality cameras etc, could run what.. $20-30k? If I could get that, pay my guys and still throw a few coin in my pocket I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Bartering services is something I normally don't like to do, even if it is a close friend. Someone always seems to get the short end of the stick, or there is miscommunication on when or how much the pay back is. I'm also not very much on giving promotional items to potential customers. I want to get business because of my track record and word of mouth referrals, not because I make a potential customer feel they need to use my services because I gave them something for free.

Just my .02 worth.

John, I don't think anyone would feel pressured to use your service just based upon a promotional item, but they will remember getting a gift from your company. You may shoot yourself in the foot with your philosophy. Think about this statistic and you'll know why I love 'fridge magnets.

The average American household opens their refrigerator 22 times per day.

As far as bartering services.. Its not for everyone. If you know your work scope and negotiate up front both parties can come out winners. If a company wants $600 to letter your rig and their building, sidewalk and windows need to be cleaned, you can complete the job with $30 worth of chemicals and 3 hours of your time. I'd say that is totally win/win.

John, I don't think anyone would feel pressured to use your service just based upon a promotional item, but they will remember getting a gift from your company. You may shoot yourself in the foot with your philosophy. Think about this statistic and you'll know why I love 'fridge magnets.

The average American household opens their refrigerator 22 times per day.

As far as bartering services.. Its not for everyone. If you know your work scope and negotiate up front both parties can come out winners. If a company wants $600 to letter your rig and their building, sidewalk and windows need to be cleaned, you can complete the job with $30 worth of chemicals and 3 hours of your time. I'd say that is totally win/win.

I hear you Ken,but I would rather collect the $600 and hire someone else to do the lettering. I have found from past practice, if you are not completely satisfied with the work performed, and you voice your concern on the quatlity of the work you recieved, they will find something wrong with the work you performed for them and you can get into a P****** match with the company you barterd with. This could become a Lose Lose for both companys.

I agree with you Ken, that bartering can be a win win for both parties, but its just not for me, same as giving gift more than a ink pen or a magnet as you spoke of.

I horse trade/barter all the time. Brochures,graphic design,truck lettering, lawn care, storage and parking of trailers and trucks,mechanical services....

To each his own. For me it works well.

Last winter I had limited funds for marketing so I opened up the yellow pages and called some wed site designers to get an idea of the cost and see if they were interested in exchange of services. Struck up a deal and had a great web site up and running by spring time in return for cleaning and sealing a deck.

I bartered with the owner of a neighborhood newsletter. She wanted her daughters front store cleaned. I ended up making over 2500 for the exchange in services. Great experience for me.

I hear you Ken,but I would rather collect the $600 and hire someone else to do the lettering. I have found from past practice, if you are not completely satisfied with the work performed, and you voice your concern on the quatlity of the work you recieved, they will find something wrong with the work you performed for them and you can get into a P****** match with the company you barterd with. This could become a Lose Lose for both companys.

I agree with you Ken, that bartering can be a win win for both parties, but its just not for me, same as giving gift more than a ink pen or a magnet as you spoke of.

BINGO!! That's EXACTLY how I feel (though after hearing KenF's estimate on the value of DVD, I'm not feeling as bad:))

I belong to a barter exchange. this essentially works like this: An exchange member contacts me and wants their car bumper painted or their car detailed whatever, we agree on price lets say $175.00, the work gets done, then I am credited $ 175.00 trade dollars in my account. Which I in turn can spend with any other exchange member. Some of the latest trade offers include resorts in the Dominican Republic, Golf at Destin FL. Massage Therapists, The Fox Theatre Tickets, Ocoee River White Water rafting, Limousine services and the list goes on and on. The reason a barter trade group makes sense is because you save hard cash for things that you need (or want) when you can pay with trade dollars which you can accumulate at will. I use my trade dollars to pay off my accountant when he has to clean up my Quickbooks messes and get me ready for tax season.

I think it is best to quote the job that the reipient wants done the way you normally would. Then find out what it cost to receive the product or service from the other party. In my case both the deck and the web site cost about $1,000.00 so it all worked out. Customer paid for the sealer. I like the idea of finding someone in the signs business for trading services.

I like the idea, but it's difficult to make it a win-win situation. I offered to barter with the owner of a local music store for a new amp head. My price was about $700 for the work, and he wanted to trade an amp head that I could buy on Ebay for around $375 new. His idea of win-win was that we could trade based on his suggested retail price. I offered to do the work for a slightly better amp, and he looked at me like I was crazy. Why would I do a $700 job for a $375 piece of equipment???

Having said that, I was hoping all summer to find someone who I could trade services with for some concrete work...maybe next year.

He does, but I know many of the same people. I've spent probably $4000-$5,000 (at least 5 guitars and three amps/heads) with him through the years anyway, so he knows me as a loyal customer. I think that often people think jobs like that will lead to more, but if the customer isn't a genuine advocate for you, nothing comes out of it for you anyway.

And no job costs me nothing. I would have had probably $100 dollars out of pocket and 6 hours labor (which wouold have been spent somewhere making money).

I'm a member of a barter exchange here on the Shore. When you barter through an exchange, you don't have to barter directly with another member. If you do work for someone you get credit(trade dollars) for your services which you can use toward any good or service offered through the exchange.

The exchange typically charges a 5-6% fee on each end. Most exchanges have reciprical agreements with other exchanges so your options are greatly expanded beyond your locality. Rod - try www. bartersys.com.