Sign in to follow this  
RogerG

BIG Ipe project

Question

Here are a few shots of a project we're on....we're staining all of the Ipe (can NOT touch the PTW on this dock - ugh) This project required the use of FloodPro Supreme Performance stain. We are reserving all comments about this application until we are done (if we ever finish!)

post-1493-137772170184_thumb.jpg

post-1493-137772170189_thumb.jpg

post-1493-137772170196_thumb.jpg

28 answers to this question

Great job Roger. Sorry I didn't get to visit you guys on the job today. Hoping to sneak away tomorrow to come see you. Keep up the great work!

Flood made arrangements with this builder to provide the product & they (Flood) sold the property manager on it - we're just applying....and applying...and applying. We will be more than happy to fill you in on all of the details this weekend :)

Celeste

I like that color Roger is that waterbase ? That must bite having to cut in all the deck floor!! What you have 2k sqft?

Is there a reason ya'll can't do the PT facia or the ceiling?

I won't reserve judgment---that's the prettiest Ipe job I think I've seen yet!! I love it!! It looks a little more opaque to me, so you don't get as much board variety, but that color is great. Looks like a typical acrylic stain to me, but the end result is no doubt attractive. Hopefully no giant pterodactyls will fly over and take a big white dump on it, LOL :)

Few quickie details:

Size-wise - there's over 2000 sq ft of HANDRAIL WOOD alone. The floors exceed 5200 sq ft. As far as cutting in, check out the PITA of cutting in around that stainless cable hardware.

Stain is Flood's new hybrid stain - oil encapsulated by water. Have to admit that water clean up is GREAT!

Jon, you are right - it is much more opaque - we're losing far more of the grain than we care to with this wood.

Scott, at this point, I'm glad we don't have the PT - less staining for us (but more taping unfortunately) This job is being totally rolled & back brushed - spraying has been impossible.

Will post some more of the PITA activity this afternoon :)

Celeste

post-1493-137772170233_thumb.jpg

We have done a smaller (much) version of the rails with cable and it is a pita factor in itself with other products and I can only imagine what it would be like with an acrylic to clean as you go.

You two got yourself in a doozy sized job and over water no less.

I like the color but not how it hides the wood so much. I guess I am spoiled on the more natural appearance.

Great job!

Rod!~

Roger,

Any idea how the "other" conctractor handled the prep of all that wood over the water and marsh areas? Pressure washin over all that water and marsh area would require a great bit of planning and additional prep to capture the water and chems

That looks like it would have been a huge job, staining and or cleaning for prep!

Brent - let's just say we're glad we weren't around for the prep work - what we saw was just scary.

Tip for the day on doing cable rail systems: Plastic drinking straws cut in half & slit end to end (not McDonald's though - straws are too large) They just pop over the cable...stain...slide to the other post...stain....pop back off :) This is great except for the posts with the actual hardware - must cut those in - I hate cutting in!

Celeste

Both actually....Roger leaned over rails, I went in between cables and Christian (aka PressureWorks here on TGS) played Huck Finn on this job...... we figured since he was a surfer, he could handle the watery side of the job :) The dock contractor provided a pretty sturdily constructed "man barge" for us to use.

We had all kinds of challenges on this job - always too windy to spray, cables were very close together, birds pooping at will all over, working with the tide, getting rocked by rude boaters or just large boats in general....and the no-see-ums were the worst.

We did get daily visits by dolphins, fished & crabbed during lunch breaks (nothing like cooking fresh crab on the job site and chowing down!) The scenery was beautiful and outside of a few questionable days, we had fabulous weather for the most part.

Celeste

Thanks a lot Roger and Celeste for including me on this job. I really miss working at this job sight. Even working off that $@#!#$ raft. Some of those wakes coming off those big boats were surfable when they hit the banks at low tide. Next time I'm bringing my board!! I'm looking forward to go take one last look at this project on Monday. I just like looking at all of that ipe.

I'm bring my poles for a couple of those nice trout and hopefully one of those big drum.

See yall on Monday,

Christian

Both actually....Roger leaned over rails, I went in between cables and Christian (aka PressureWorks here on TGS) played Huck Finn on this job...... we figured since he was a surfer, he could handle the watery side of the job :) The dock contractor provided a pretty sturdily constructed "man barge" for us to use.

We had all kinds of challenges on this job - always too windy to spray, cables were very close together, birds pooping at will all over, working with the tide, getting rocked by rude boaters or just large boats in general....and the no-see-ums were the worst.

We did get daily visits by dolphins, fished & crabbed during lunch breaks (nothing like cooking fresh crab on the job site and chowing down!) The scenery was beautiful and outside of a few questionable days, we had fabulous weather for the most part.

Celeste

Christians a great guy, good worker. He worked a couple days with us helping us out when we were jammed up with to much work, he helped us get it done. He is worth his weight in gold and he has a real cute new baby too

Id use Christians help anytime great guy!

Hey if the offer is still good, if your up this way. Id like to take you up on looking at my patio for the over lay. Whenever no rush at all

Great job & pics

Jeff