Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Residential Compliance

Question

I landed a resi from Service Magic last week from a lady that was being told by the city to comply with appearance codes. The city has been sending everyone with dirty homes letters for compliance. This area is not part of a H.O.A., just regular small properties in the city. There were other PW firms on the block behind me. My back hurt so much watching them work their knowledge with their wobbly 15 foot wand and 40 degree tips hanging from ladders and such. And little 'ol me with just my trigger handled xjet. Kidding.

This is the area for the "Deadliest catch" right now and I did 2 more resi's today from referrals in that area, 2 more for Sat. ( what is wrong with me working on a Saturday?) There are others firms getting business as well.

It's like this area is a hotbed, I thought Summer was over.

Here's the question: I had never considered researching what cities are enforcing this code. Is there a way to find out what is being enforced at any given time? Website? Technical name for the dept. superviser of codes enforcement?

Pelt the neighborhood with postcards hard and heavy before the ice forms?

I thought the season was taking it's last breath but it is putting up a good fight before the holidays. I am stacked up for a lone ranger. It is starting to get a little chilly but I will hold out as long as the season does.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I am already a registered vendor for the county that is doing the enforcing, and would think that the county would implement their current resources, but I must have missed that phone call.

I know once Dec. hits, that's it, put away the deckster and start loading the moving van. The resi's will be spending $$$$ on the holidays. The ads run out at end of Nov. I just want to take quick advantage of this compliance thing. Then I will pack the xjet in it's custom stainless steel case with retina scan entry.

4 answers to this question

Sounds like you live in Germany, not USA!

The county I'm in has a "code enforcement" office in the government building downtown. I'm sure that'd be the one to check with everything in the county. You can start with the Cobb County (Marietta, right?) office to see if they have similar and go from there. They may have recommendations on whom to contact at the city level as well. Many historic or preservation districts have strict codes involving maintenance and upkeep of this typ.

They do have a code enforcement branch. Cool. They send a scout out at one time period to evaluate. The reports are then pushed through the chain, stats and write ups, and dispatch. That takes about a month or so for any given area, for the notices to be sent and start the clock???????. I think , depending on the situation, repair or cleaning etc. they are given 60 days.

For the homeowner, it has got to be a pain, esp. this time of the year.

Keep in mind that these H.O.'s have no idea the direction they need to go to even get things started. This is not ghetto areas like some of my favorite places downtown, but they are not upscale homes. Some in serious need of various repairs also.

I was however unable to get a list of upcoming notices and areas. My guess is that they are covering quadrants. I think it would be a real crapshoot to guess what area to hit w/ postcards. But the referral business is great. So I could at least eliminate a % of advertising cost since they are referrals. Which would bring me a step closer to closing. At least with my being in the same area for a bit it should bring more customer for the last boom of the season.

I am considering one of the boxes that you can mount on your work truck, that holds business cards and they can simply just get a card and call me.

Anyone ever hear of the box. Where can I pick one up. I know, I know, check the forums..................

Off to the trenches.

Everyone have a great day!

I love my xjet

Quote: "Sounds like you live in Germany, not USA"

You have to remember the county he lives in! Cobb county, as truck drivers call them, Robb county. I knew they were rough on I-75 & I-285, but I didn't think they were that hard on their residents. Man, did you guys elect a bunch of "money hungry" leaders in your county or what? They got their butts in trouble coming out on the interstate and giving D.O.T. inspections to 18 wheelers (revenue source). Some days I'm surprised you guys can find a cop in town! (they are all out working the interstate)

sorry- off subject.

You might have a few signs made up, and leave in peoples yards for a day or two, after job completion. That would help neighbors, that don't know who to call. Check with local ordinance office first, to make sure your not in violation.