Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Restora

Question

I recieved a sample package today from a group called Flood.

The product they sent me was called Restora.

http://www.flood.com/flood/

I never asked for the kit. They are just doing some pricey soliciting I guess.

The product claims to revitalize vinyl and shutters. They claim it will be a great add on to upsell onsight.

I have had great success with carnuba ( for vinyl) through the xjet. Lots of shine.

BUT..... here's what got me..... They offer a lifetime garauntee on the product and could very well be a great upsell. They only offer %'s of profits with out actually giving you a measurment to go by. Probably because of different areas economies. So I do not know what an application with a lifetime garauntee would cost on top of my resi and commercial washes.

Anyone ever use this? Is it a good product worth the investment and the upsell? Most vinyl resi are not in upper tier areas 200K and below. So most already don't want to part with what $ they have. It's like pulling teeth.

Am thinking about any business extention I can add when I move to the Lone Star next month. And this seems to be doable.

??????

80 answers to this question

Bill -

While I'm glad the homeowner you dealt with liked the shutter job you did, it sounds like the lo lustre you used didn't give you the sheen level you desired. We recommend the Semi-Gloss to give it a higher sheen, and if you ever have the opportunity to restore vinyl siding, use the lo lustre.

We have gallon and 5 gallon sizes for contractors that would reduce your product costs. A gallon of semi gloss can cover 650 sq. ft. (average gal. of paint = 350 sq. ft), which allows you to do about 64 shutters (the kit can do 16). Tom Vogel at ACR can source that for you. The kit is more for that daring DIY'er that wants to climb a ladder.

-John

The cleaner in my kit says sodium metasilicate. Since that is my go-to chemical for housewashing I am assuming my regular housewash is enough prep?

Ken - our experience with the sodium metasilicate is that it is a good prep product for shutters, but you may have to scrub to remove chalking and oxidation, which is the key to restoring the color. The Restora concentrated cleaner doesn't require scrubbing. As you know, pressure washing skill always is the determining factor. Guys with poor workmanship tend to fail.

Do you have to remove the shutters from the house to restore them?

Joe -

You can absolutely leave the shutters on the house. Since Restora is a clear finish, you don't have to worry when it comes in contact with anything else. Just wipe up with a wet rag and you're fine.

-John

Just wanted to add a thumbs up on the product. Good coverage, easy to apply/cleanup, VERY forgiving. MOST important is the prep - do that correct and everything else falls into place.

The hardest part of the entire gig is actually getting the work. I've changed my focus to getting shudder jobs vs. the entire home. Though I'm not ripping the cover off the ball, at least I'm getting some hits.

So if I were able to up sell an entire vinyl home restoration job. Is this product able to be applied with a Deckster, or must it be rolled on? I know this may seem like a silly question. I am just considering the time on the job if I had to roll it and what to charge, which would probably be significantly higher than using a Deckster and saving time.

Ken - our experience with the sodium metasilicate is that it is a good prep product for shutters, but you may have to scrub to remove chalking and oxidation, which is the key to restoring the color. The Restora concentrated cleaner doesn't require scrubbing. As you know, pressure washing skill always is the determining factor. Guys with poor workmanship tend to fail.

John,

I was at the ACR meeting yesterday and listened to the presentation. I am always interested in profitable add-ons but in determining viability I have several questions.

It was mentioned that the cleaner was developed to work in synergy with the sealer/restorer. Profitability comes into question on a couple of fronts. Understanding that everyone thinks their housewash is the best lets say my formulation falls short of the Restora cleaner's ability to remove oxidation. I have two options. Change my technique and utilize your cleaner (which adds expense to my housewash cost thereby lowering my margin on it). Or, add a secondary wash for the areas upon which I want to use Restora. Again, this adds time especially since we are talking about going around all four sides of the house with equipment.

The second part I question is in the margin of the service itself. Using Flood's example of a $300 housewash and a $300 add-on shutter restoration.. An average profit margin might be about 75% (on the housewash). Factoring in the cost of product, labor time, additional Workman's comp for having guys on a ladder, and realistic production rate I come in with an estimate of about 20% margin (for the add-on). So now to make it worthwhile, the add-on in Flood's example needs to at least triple in price to remain on the same plane of what we need to earn.

How can I overcome this obstacle?

I agree with Ken on this. I can't make my numbers work when trying to compare to the cost of just replacing the Shutters (including Labor) I have a hard time believing that I can sell this at the same profit margin that I see with simple cleanings. Wouldn't want to expend resources toward marketing a service that has a low profit margin. Would be a better use of time, energy and money to market just House washes. Let the home owners restore or find a handyman that works on lower profit margins have the work.

The last time I changed out a couple of vinyl shutters I bought a pair of 62" +- X 18" for about $65 (ballpark). They are less depending on size of course. If you can get the right colors, no painting required and simply remove and replace.

I'm not sure (As Ken pointed out)the example given by Flood will make the cost analysis for everyone.

WC, time, material expenses etc vs what the homeowner is willing to pay??

I know it is sold at local SW and Duron paint stores. They had an examply of a vinyl patio chair and the difference was really good, but the cost on the product certainly overwhelmed the cost of a new chair.

I agree that this product may just cause me to make less per hour than my goals. I don't like to have to pull ladders off my rig, and would hate to have to climb ladders just to make a shutter bling bling. I may try to upsell it on a one story house with easy accessible shutters, and anything else, I would have to price so high, that would hopefully keep me grounded.

John,

It was mentioned that the cleaner was developed to work in synergy with the sealer/restorer. Profitability comes into question on a couple of fronts. Understanding that everyone thinks their housewash is the best lets say my formulation falls short of the Restora cleaner's ability to remove oxidation. I have two options. Change my technique and utilize your cleaner (which adds expense to my housewash cost thereby lowering my margin on it). Or, add a secondary wash for the areas upon which I want to use Restora. Again, this adds time especially since we are talking about going around all four sides of the house with equipment.

The second part I question is in the margin of the service itself. Using Flood's example of a $300 housewash and a $300 add-on shutter restoration.. An average profit margin might be about 75% (on the housewash). Factoring in the cost of product, labor time, additional Workman's comp for having guys on a ladder, and realistic production rate I come in with an estimate of about 20% margin (for the add-on). So now to make it worthwhile, the add-on in Flood's example needs to at least triple in price to remain on the same plane of what we need to earn.

How can I overcome this obstacle?

Ken -

Both really good questions, and its difficult to try to have one answer to satisfy all pressure washers professionals, and it will be a never ending debate. The examples we use are averages we used from many contractors that probably doesn't fit everyone because of differences in where they do business.

Based on the feedback we've received from contractors that apply the Restora, both on shutters and siding, the profitability is strong, and their output is high. Because many pressure washers have established production methods, this opportunity may not be for everyone, and that's OK. However, we believe this is a a service that some contractors can use as an upsell to certain deck restoration or house washing jobs. Homeowners are amazed at the results, and its a great way to make some extra bucks.

-John

I agree with Ken on this. I can't make my numbers work when trying to compare to the cost of just replacing the Shutters (including Labor) I have a hard time believing that I can sell this at the same profit margin that I see with simple cleanings. Wouldn't want to expend resources toward marketing a service that has a low profit margin. Would be a better use of time, energy and money to market just House washes. Let the home owners restore or find a handyman that works on lower profit margins have the work.

Again, its not for everyone, and that's OK. However, I encourage to try the product to see the results.

-John

JTrenta,

You are right. As a power washing company the cost of application would be high. For a painting company as ours, we find the Restora very profitable. We apply paint with all the same moves. However we don't worry about most problems attributed with painting vs. applying Restora. As of next year, we hope to devote 10% - 20% of our business to Restora application. Our overhead and labor are less with Restora vs. painting. The cost per gallon is always passed onto the client. The cost for materials are passed onto the client. Using Restora, for complete homes or shutters, is definantly a plus for us. The field of vinyl restoration is wide open. Thank You.

Hey Mike and Ken,

This works as a numbers issue when you have labor that is not getting the Rev per hr. that PWs get. Ken you have painters. It would be easy for you to send a guy over to fill out a day on these. Or a helper. The sale is easy. I like it because I already spent the money to get the lead. I hate to leave money on the table. And I leave a happy homeowner. I'm writing about the shutter treatment.

Now if you were going to do the entire house. Then I'd have to call you painters. And I'd bring white pants for you to wear at the Spring roundtable. Just so everyone knew what you're doing now. Mike, you'd be a painter that I'd like.

John,

I appreciate your candor. You have a point about every product/service being not right for every business. I don't want to badger you with negativity, I am just honestly not convinced whether I am in the segment or not. I appreciate you taking your time to break this down for me, I can be very thick sometimes.

I think the key to unlocking this thing is the efficiency of application. I am not sure why it was mentioned that the product has to be backbrushed. If it is a penetrating sealant could it be sufficiently atomized through an HVLP or airless as to leave a decent finish? The contracor brochure states that it can be applied in less time than paint. Now we've never painted vinyl but we have painted porches and columns with some Penetrol and a S/W oil (via HVLP) and the finish looked baked on. Is your recommendation of backbrushing for the masses and CYA or is it mandatory?

As the Flood Co. Product Manager, I appreciate the interest in Restora. We have sent out Restora samples to many pressure washing professionals to introduce what we believe is a good business opportunity for those interested. A Restora shutter restoration job can be a great upsell on many house washing jobs, and is a strong value proposition for homeowners vs. alternatives (replacement and painting). Since pressure washing pros are experts on surface preparation, this can be a natural add-on. It's also a nice segue into vinyl siding restoration if the opportunity presents itself.

Tom has been through training and is correct in saying that it is easy to apply (similar to painting, but much more forgiving and can be applied in 1/2 the time, with very little setup/cleanup time). The key is showing homeowners how it can transform the color of the shutters, which refreshes the entire look of the house after a quality house washing. Just a small demo on a corner of a shutter can do it.

While a few hardware stores stock Restora as a DIY solution, we do believe that contractor application makes the best sense. Our NE region Field Rep., Damian Mauro, and our Pro Product Trainer, Bill Gradisher, will be in attendance at the ACR Roundtable this weekend. They are both great guys and can answer all your questions on Restora, and any other Flood products.

If you didn't receive a Restora sample and would like one, please send me an e-mail with your company name and shipping address, and I'll send it out next week. My e-mail address is jtrenta@flood.com. Also, I can answer any other detailed questions you may have.

Thanks,

John Trenta

John... They put on a great presentation at the Round Table... I am looking forward to using the product. Can you please call me at some point and time. I have a question for the future that you may be able to answer

thanks

I think the key to unlocking this thing is the efficiency of application. I am not sure why it was mentioned that the product has to be backbrushed. If it is a penetrating sealant could it be sufficiently atomized through an HVLP or airless as to leave a decent finish? The contracor brochure states that it can be applied in less time than paint. Now we've never painted vinyl but we have painted porches and columns with some Penetrol and a S/W oil (via HVLP) and the finish looked baked on. Is your recommendation of backbrushing for the masses and CYA or is it mandatory?

Ken -

Through our experiences with working with the product, we know that backbrushing does 2 things: 1) smooths out drips and areas of excess product delivery, and 2) ensures penetration of the finish into the vinyl profile (whether it is the faux "grain", or profile caused by the weathering and cleaning process). Yes, you can use an HVLP to apply, but you may lose production efficiency by trying to be more deliberate in your application. We recommend delivering the product through an airless (in sections), followed by a quick backbrushing. You'd be surprised how fast the process is, and you can get into the hard to reach areas easier.

Thanks,

John

Hey ken, I'm not sure what my production rate is - I've been consentrating on doing the best possible job I can and not looking at the clock. I will tell you that our company does alot of painting and even with taking my time it is much faster than painting.

The airless on the entire house is the way to go (with back brushing) but the shudders are a cut brush and Whizzy (small mini roller). Back brushing is important to get it into the faux grain lines

To the guy that does not want to take the ladder off the truck. This is NOT the work for you. IMO you need to have the ladder off for both surface prep. and application. I have been scrubbing all the shudders (if I get any houses I will at the very least brush out the eves, traffic areas and shrub areas) to make sure I remove every bit of oxidation - it may be overkill but I don't want it to be lack of effort on my part to be the reason I didn't get the house next door.

Instead of talking about it hear the best thing to do would be to use that nice kit they sent and experiment - you will answer your own application questions.

Good luck.

Good morning to those of you that have received a Restora kit and to those that are interested in receiving more information about Restora or other Flood products. My name is Stephen Carter and I am the Southeast Field Sales Manager for The Flood Company. I am out of the Myrtle Beach,SC area but cover the coast of North Carolina, South Carolina, Columbia,SC, and Atlanta. Please feel free to contact me for more information or questions. Thanks.

Welcome Stephen!

Please let the other Flood reps know about TGS. We're glad to have you here. Thank you also for your generosity with the contractors. As contractors ourselves, we do appreciate it!

Beth :groovy3: