Sign in to follow this  
Richard

Hooking 2 machines together

First let me appologize. I know I've seen it talked about on one of the boards recently, I just can't find it. That being said, here is my scenario.

We have 7 direct drive 4gpm machines (give or take depending on the day).

1 375,000 btu hot box,running off 2 100lb propaine bottles in one of our 12ft covered trailers.

Instead of going and buying another machine (5.6-8gpm),appreciating that would be the best way,do we really need to????

What are the "DOWN SIDES" to joining two machines together????????

If we were to install a second hot box, could we run them both off the same bottles simultaneously to gain 8gpm of hot water???????

I like the idea of the versatility of grabbing another machine when a pump pukes and switching machines.It would give alot of flexability.

If your hotbox is rated for enough pressure and flow (need some fudge factor, so maybe a little above that to be safe) you will get when combining two machines you should be okay if you set it up correctly.

Combining two machines will produce the flow of the two machines added together, but the pressure will stay about the same, or no more than the highest rated machine, say if one is rated at 3,500 psi and the other at 4,000 psi. Don't get too much different pressure between the two machines you are combining.

Another well known and reputable Company (don't know if I can use their name here ???) sells the hardware and plumbing you would need, it is primarily designed to feed one flat-surface machine from two pressure washers. Set the plumbing up to join the hoses close to the pumps so you only have one pressure line to deal with.

You need to have the same kind of unloader (flow regulated) on both pw pumps, and having them bypassed back to your fresh water holding tank really helps a lot.

It takes some tweaking and a little getting used to but it really helps in cases where you need more cleaning power to do a larger area or get better cleaning and rinsing or to do it more quickly.

Also make sure your flat surface cleaner is sturdy enough, using the right tips that are aimed properly.

Just make sure that the concrete surface you are cleaning is (cured for long enough and) hard enough to withstand what you are doing without getting all marked up, which is much easier to do than to correct.

Let the chemical do the cleaning work, and use the machine to finish up what the chemical started doing.

Some will say why not just get a more powerful machine, but I say that unless you need and use it often enough to justify doing that, this works just fine as an alternative for those time when it is a viable alternative.

I do the above off two hotboxes, but have also done it off of one. You say you have two so you should be fine if you are reasonably careful.

I do this often, and it works for me.

I made another recent post explaning how I have downsized, and no longer even own any hot water skid machines (sold them), so all I have are cold water units, but they can also be hot water machines when I need that.

Sorry, too many "I's".

Good luck!

I just bought a tee with couplers to combine my 5.5gpm 4000psi and 5.0gpm 4000psi pumps.

The 10.5gpm flow is going to be sick!

Can't wait to try it out. I also had to order new 10gpm nozzles.

Richard, in your case you will need 8gpm nozzles for running two 4gpm machines together.

I haven't tried this yet but I would assume that the chemical to water ratio will be affected and you will have to increase chemical strength if you are using the same chemical injector. I do not know of any chemical injectors that are larger than the 2.3 orifice @ 5-8gpm.

What company sells the plumbing ???? The suspense is killing me....

Delco sells the plumbing. See their "Wats Blaster" (I THINK it is called)

catalog, either in print or online. You also have to have compatible unloaders on BOTH machines.

This would apply mostly used to run one flat-surface machine with increased gpm to get better cleaning out of it. You will also have to adjust your tips appropriately.

Happy washing!

HANG ON!!!!!!!!! It's an "E" ticket ride.....lol

Let me get this straight. I have a 5.5 hot skid and a 4.0 cw unit. I can some how join these two and get 9.5 gpm's out of it ????? What company sells the plumbing ???? The suspense is killing me....

I do exactly this. 5.5 & 4.0

I did it guys.

I have combined my 5.5gpm & 5.0gpm 4000psi machines to make an insanely sick 10.5gpm 4000psi washer! It is ridiculous. Damn near knocks you down it's so strong! The force is unbelievable with a 10gpm nozzle.

I also bought a 0060 nozzle for soap application. I can draw chemical with a General 5-8gpm 20% Hi-Draw injector with this nozzle. Because I have double the flow, the chemical ratio is cut in half. I ordered a Robokim 5.6-10.8 injector to see if I can get more chemical draw out of it and three new 25 degree 3.5gpm nozzles for my concrete cleaner. Can't wait to do some flat work with this new monster setup.

I did it guys.

I have combined my 5.5gpm & 5.0gpm 4000psi machines to make an insanely sick 10.5gpm 4000psi washer! It is ridiculous. Damn near knocks you down it's so strong! The force is unbelievable with a 10gpm nozzle.

I also bought a 0060 nozzle for soap application. I can draw chemical with a General 5-8gpm 20% Hi-Draw injector with this nozzle. Because I have double the flow, the chemical ratio is cut in half. I ordered a Robokim 5.6-10.8 injector to see if I can get more chemical draw out of it and three new 25 degree 3.5gpm nozzles for my concrete cleaner. Can't wait to do some flat work with this new monster setup.

Like I said earlier, it's gonna be like an "E" ticket ride - Good Luck and hang on!!!

Congrats Mike, glad it worked. I am going to try it in the very near future. Any pointers ??? Thanks for the heads up Phil.

Tom, like Phil says all you need is a high pressure "T", three couplers, and a short high pressure hose to join your machine into the T on your other machine. Run both machines into one hose to make your new monster. I haven't seen any 9.5 nozzles, so just get 9gpm and 10gpm nozzles and try them both out if you want.

One more thing. You have to hold to trigger gun when starting your machines so you will not to build up pressure in the hose.

Tom, like Phil says all you need is a high pressure "T", three couplers, and a short high pressure hose to join your machine into the T on your other machine. Run both machines into one hose to make your new monster. I haven't seen any 9.5 nozzles, so just get 9gpm and 10gpm nozzles and try them both out if you want.

One more thing. You have to hold to trigger gun when starting your machines so you will not to build up pressure in the hose.

Yep. I skip the short hose and just spool some hose off each reel.

Go with a 9gpm nozzle. You'll get some prressure losses. I actually questimate 8.5gpm from my 5.5+4 based on pressure and orifice size.

As for holding the trigger, it's not an issue for me, but I keep 250ft on hose on each reel.

I have done this for a while now. I have 2- 7gpm@3600 pumps that are ran together, I went with a 1/2 in line to carry the flow.

I have a "T" on the end of the 1/2 in hose with quick-connects that I just pull 2 3/8 hoses out put them each to a washer then to the 1/2 in and go.

Works great.

I did put check valves on each side of the "T", don't know if they are nessary or not??

Jason, what kind of surface cleaner do you have?

I haven't seen any swivels that are rated more than 10gpm.

I would think 14gpm would put too much stress on it??? Guess not if you have been doing it a while.

I tried this today. I ran a T with check valves coming in and it did not work. I believe it is because my TS2011 has a flow actuated unloader, and my mobile unit does not. I would think if I set my mobile up with a FAU and tuned it down to the PSI from my 2011 it may work. My burner was not firing on my 2011 PW, and that is how I know I was getting nothing.

Just a question for you guys that have done this and or still doing this with 2 machines. Is it faster using 2 machines connected together and a larger surface cleaner or have 2 guys out there each with a surface cleaner? Just wondering if anyone has compared it. On paper it would look like you would get about the same amount of work done in the same amount of time either way but in the real world things are usually different. Any comments?

Just a question for you guys that have done this and or still doing this with 2 machines. Is it faster using 2 machines connected together and a larger surface cleaner or have 2 guys out there each with a surface cleaner? Just wondering if anyone has compared it. On paper it would look like you would get about the same amount of work done in the same amount of time either way but in the real world things are usually different. Any comments?

There is definatly a difference between the two. With the two machines, you spend half the labor. Send your other worker somewhere else and make twice the $$$s

Don't give up Scott. I upgraded my concrete cleaner from a 24" stainless steel pushing 10.5gpm @ 3500psi to the Maxima 36" pushing 13gpm @ 3000psi.

I am combining my 20hp 8gpm + 13hp 5gpm = 33hp 13gpm @ 3000psi.

Nozzles are (2) 25075's

It is so fast you can walk behind it like a lawnmower.

Edited by Mike Sullivan