Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

Which HVLP

Question

I have a lot of doors in my house I would like to spray with lacquer and was thinking it would be the perfect time to purchace a HVLP sprayer. Was wondering what I should buy to make the job easier. I have a air compressor with and el cheapo spray gun I have sprayed lacquer with before, but I remember it was hard to control the pressure without having to much pressure which causes a fog and overspray. I've heard HVLP is the way to go, and was wondering what would work for me.

31 answers to this question

Like I already said in post#2 of this thread - when you mention HVLP so many people first think of Graco, Titan, or Devilbliss, and they cost LOTS more than these little Wagners...

But for what you would NORMALLY use one of these for, can you really see, much less justify the difference in the cost between these and more expen$ive ones?

Great little sprayers, aren't they? If I didn't already have what I needed before I found out about Ken's deal I would be ordering one too!

I am not trying to be a shill for Ken - I just think that they are plenty for what we usually need to do - so you can go spend the diff. between these and the high priced sprayers on something you need more than to have $1,000 invested in an HVLP sprayer...

Hey Ken,

I got and HVLP gravity feed gun from HD the other week. appears to be a nice gun with pressure regulator so I can dial down the pressure to desired effects.

I am used to airless pumps at much higher pressures and have played with this new HVLP a bit using latex on some shutters. You said you thinned some latex with an additive (I am familar with that one and others)

My problem was with the viscousity of the paint. Do you have to thin all paints used through HVLP? I would expect this to require multiple coats to get the necessary coverage????

Thanks for help from those used to using HVLP

Hey Brent,

Again hard to vouch for a product I haven't used but I know on the FineCoat I can run solid stain undiluted with no sputtering. A high quality interior latex paint may be pushing it, so I use the Floetrol to take it to a viscosity I like. I am a fan of multiple coats anyway. I think you get a finer finish.

Used the hvlp sprayer today and it made quick work of spraying clear lacquer on 10 doors. It was easy to adjust the spray, and layed down a great finish, spraying the lacquer straight from the can. Thanks again Ken for for the heads up on this sprayer.

Ken,

Thank you for the input. I felt like I was pushing too much with the paint as I was used to in the airless, but started there out of ignorance to see how it would perform.