Sign in to follow this  
C&S Property Services

Tile flooring

Wasn't sure where to post this but figured the kitchen guys would know more. What products / techniques would you use to do tile floors? Basically, I have a client that runs a hospital that wants the bathroom tiles done. Not sure of how he could do it or if i suited to do it. One major factor is that outside the bathroom is carpeting and cannot get wet. I was thinking more along the lines of steam cleaning but I have never done that.

Thanks,

Rob Huffman

Aspen Contractors

443 307 7662

Well, Most kitchens have a heavy pocelain tile that is impervoius .You can use a degreaser or even a caustic on that stuff and hot pressure wash it away. Unfortunately with a bathroom if there are any aluminum brass or soft metal fixtures. Not to mention plastics,vinyl or piant you cant use a caustic so stick with a gentle degreaser and go from there. If you have a floor drain anywhwere you are well ahaead of the game as far as cleanup I would suggest plastic over what you don't want oversprayed and make sure the water rclaim set up is bulteproof since if the water goes to the florr below I am sure the hospital will be sending you the bill.

For your consideration...we do janitorial work and this is something we have done in the past so from our experience standpoint, I pass it on for anyone else to use.

You will need a wet vac. You will need Hot water to get this to work well.

Apply your chem and agitate, especially the grout using a brush. Give it some dwell time and apply again where needed and then use the vac to extract it.

Some use a low rpm rotating brush machine to clean tile and others use steam machines similar to those for removing gum. If you can find a unit for rent, there are lvlp units that use a surface cleaner with extraction to clean tiles. They operate at about 120-160psi and <2gpm.

Afterwards, and the grout comes as clean as you can get it, once dry, apply a grout sealer just to the grout with an applicator bottle that has an applicator brush that is fed from the bottle. Most tile distributors and supply stores have them. This is of course if you charge to have this done. It is not expensive, the sealer costs around $6.00 and the applicator bottle around $3.00, but the time is what you should be charging for. It will take you about 20-30 minutes to do the application.

Rod!~

I am looking at the process and buying at the moment. Steam vapor systems would work because you can steam the carpet. Some hospitals use this process already. Much reading to do!!!

I would use an acid to clean the bathroom tile, a company called StoneTech has a great product or ViperVenom (I use this on anything but bathrooms) i.e. Kitchens, entry's, etc, tile is real fast and EASY

On 12/16/2006 at 8:05 PM, Beth n Rod said:

For your consideration...we do janitorial work and this is something we have done in the past so from our experience standpoint, I pass it on for anyone else to use.

You will need a wet vac. You will need Hot water to get this to work well.

Apply your chem and agitate, especially the grout using a brush. Give it some dwell time and apply again where needed and then use the vac to extract it.

Some use a low rpm rotating brush machine to clean tile and others use steam machines similar to those for removing gum. If you can find a unit for rent, there are lvlp units that use a surface cleaner with extraction to clean tiles. They operate at about 120-160psi and <2gpm.

Afterwards, and the grout comes as clean as you can get it, once dry, apply a grout sealer just to the grout with an applicator bottle that has an applicator brush that is fed from the bottle. Most tile distributors and supply stores have them. This is of course if you charge to have this done. It is not expensive, the sealer costs around $6.00 and the applicator bottle around $3.00, but the time is what you should be charging for. It will take you about 20-30 minutes to do the application.

Rod!~

Hi guys, I have been asked by a customer to lay ceramic floor tiles have always told people not to use ceramic on floor as it can break easy. But she is no budging on the tiles. It's only a small area 3x2 m2 in a kitchen. Anyone have any tips or advise on laying ceramics on floors as I've never done it. I haven't seen the substrate yet but guessing its concrete. Thanks in advance.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:22 PM, jobalthough said:

Hi guys, I have been asked by a customer to lay ceramic floor tiles have always told people not to use ceramic on the floor as it can break easily. But she is not budging on the tiles. It's only a small area of 3x2 m2 in a kitchen. Does anyone have any tips on floor refinishing or advice on laying ceramics on floors as I've never done it? I haven't seen the substrate yet but guessing it's concrete. Thanks in advance.

no response

I have ceramic tiles I have installed in my kitchen which have been doing just fine.
There is a method and proper requisites in order to ensure the sub-floor is stable and doesn't move which requires joisting below no more than 16" O.C. If that is not applicable, one needs to lay an additional layer of plywood, seal it and then make sure the flooring is level. If not, use self-leveling concrete. Then install the tile.

A tile distributor would have the knowledgeable people to help get the job right. Just take photos and document the existing project and structural aspects for their reference.

Rod & Beth

On 8/23/2022 at 12:22 PM, jobalthough said:

Hi guys, I have been asked by a customer to lay ceramic floor tiles have always told people not to use ceramic on floor as it can break easy. But she is no budging on the tiles. It's only a small area 3x2 m2 in a kitchen. Anyone have any tips or advise on laying ceramics on floors as I've never done it. I haven't seen the substrate yet but guessing its concrete. Thanks in advance.

I have ceramic tiles I have installed in my kitchen which have been doing just fine.
There is a method and proper requisites in order to ensure the sub-floor is stable and doesn't move which requires joisting below no more than 16" O.C. If that is not applicable, one needs to lay an additional layer of plywood, seal it and then make sure the flooring is level. If not, use self-leveling concrete. Then install the tile.

A tile distributor would have the knowledgeable people to help get the job right. Just take photos and document the existing project and structural aspects for their reference.

Rod & Beth