Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Hiring Illegals

Met with my accountant this week. He was telling me and all his customers, to be very careful and dont hire illegals. He takes all those IRS and internet seminars and he was telling me for the upcoming 2 years they are going to be cracking down on Illegals & the businesses that hire them.

He was telling me even if they have documents , but they arent real, they can and are going to hold the companies responsible. Even if you hire a legal sub contractor and he brings in his illegal workers they can still get you. The fine is up to $50,000 each illegal.

He knows I dont hire illegals, but he wanted me to know in case I would in the future. He said they are going to be watching as many companies as they can, little & large

Just a warning to everyone. Thought you all should know. $50,000 that could hurt

JL

Good tip Jeff, We have a huge problem with this in AZ.

We are close to the border and we have many non-legimate workers.

Its nice to see they will finally be doing something, I'm still kinda skeptical because i heard these promises in the past.

yeah, I just wish that the government would crack down on themselves for letting them over here in the first place.....:mad:

kinda hypocritical if you ask me...

TRUE!!!!

I saw that bust on the news at the Smithfeild chicken processing plant, they got over 1200 Illegals last week. The local cops never knew about it, until dozens of Feds swooped in.

It amazes me how many have fake documents. My wife works for a bank and they just started a policy, that if they have questionable documentation ( out of state lic. green cards etc)they have to call the employee. They are making up to a couple dozen calls each & every pay day to some companies. They figure that the companies might get sick of all the calls and check the workers docs better. The bank wants to cover themselves, They gotten stuck with many Thousands of $$$$$ of bad checks from illegals

I hate when I hear the illegals arent hurting anybody.

It is most certainly hurting us all when another company gains an unfair advantage over us by paying very little in wages so that they can bid lower. It is STEALING in my book. Stealing from me and my family when I lose a bid to someone that cheats the system to gain an advantage.

Watched a program last night about how the illegal uninsured pregnant women in the New Orleans area were costing the local Hospitals between $500k and $1M each month.

I don't know the specific details Jeff, but my mom was the manager of a pretty large Hotel and she was telling me how it was illegal for her to ask a person for social security cards or ask if the person was a legal citizen...this was a few years ago and it may have been a California thing, and like I said, I don't know the exact details, but it was pretty freakin crooked (on the gov't part).

Legal workers are great. Foreign workers are great. We need them for all the work that American feel is below their standards. We must fill the jobs that Americans cannot handle. However, Illegals should be prosecuted and back where ever they came from plus fined whatever the law allows. Most of all the companies should be fined as much as the law allows. If we have to, put them out of business. This is one reason our system is having soo many problems and Americans suffer. Thank You.

Foreign workers are great. We need them for all the work that American feel is below their standards. We must fill the jobs that Americans cannot handle.

If illegal workers were not willing to work for so cheap, then the people that hire them would have to pay more, and that would attract legal workers.

Look at McDonalds who pays minimum wage and the quality of their workers, and then look at In N Out Burger who pays a premium and gets the cream of the crop. Basically illegal workers are low ballers

When I hear of actions such as this, I get the mental image of one of those 1800's cartoons with the charicatures....a shady guy standing at the border beside a sign saying "American Border" and waving folks across, while looking over his shoulder at the American business owners saying "now don't ya'll hire these folks....<wink wink nudge nudge>"

The ONLY thing that would satisfy me about this fining businesses is if the US government takes that $50k per illegal immigrant and puts 100% of it towards building a wall to prevent future illegal immigration. Otherwise, I just see this as another income source for our government with no real aim at stopping it.

Hire them, give them NO benefits, pay them cash and keep them in places people cant see them. Using this method will save you tons of money as well as keep WC, insurance, etc down to a minimum. Make sure they know they are fired just prior to any accident happening (verbal disclaimer with them).

Watch your profits SOAR!!!!!!!!

Legal workers are great. Foreign workers are great. We need them for all the work that American feel is below their standards. We must fill the jobs that Americans cannot handle. Thank You.

Gotta disagree here. I personally can work most mens tongues into the ground. I have worked in the Tobacco fields here back in High School and we made $0.10/stick and I would do 1000 sticks a day. This was 18 years ago. This is what they are still paying now. Can I do that work? YES! Is it below me? NO. Will I work for a less than living wage? NO. Americans can and will do the work. We just won't do it for NOTHING. We won't be taken advantage of by an employer that merely wants an edge in the marketplace to lowball price his service/products. Instead of learning how to profitably run a business based on true numbers, they just wing it. Lowball to get the work, then offer someone a low wage in order to turn a profit.

One thing I see is there is a definite shortage of workers. There are so many jobs available, no one would have to be out of work. Look at all the help wanted signs. In Ohio, far north, filled with Mexicans, central and south americans. Chicago is filled with Polish. All over the country there are people from other countries working. Why? Look at unemployment numbers. White, hispanic and black americans laid off & cannot find a job? Why? I have and would work for less money to get a better job. I know you have to sacrifice to get ahead. Too many folks think they are worth alot more than they really are. Would you hire someone telling you they want $20.00 /hr. just because they said they were worth that? We should get the companies that hire the illigals and close them down.. This means the huge corporations who find ways to conceal cheap labor. Hoover Company who has been sold three times since owned by Hoovers is now owned by a Chinese company! Guess what, the jobs will soon be in China, or not at all. Think about that the next time you buy the cheap Hoover sweeper.

Here us an interesting excerpt from an article about the recent raid in Colorado.

Please read the footnote carfully and tell me americans don't want to work.

ICE raided the one out here and carted off 210 illegals. The raid was part of an ongoing investigation into identity theft rings, turns out they have been following the trails and they are now going after the end users who are buying the stolen identities, thus the raid on the plants and the arrests going on beside the standard deportations.

Anyways some quotes from what is going on :

As relatives watched strings of illegals being led out of the plant in plastic hand cuffs - "Why do they have to treat them like criminals?" Because they are criminals!

From a husband of one of the illegals arrested and facing charges for identity theft " my wife is a law abiding citizen, she never had nothing worse than a traffic ticket in 10 years. She bought a fake identity back in Kansas 10 years ago, we never knew it was a real person!" Well buying an identity should have been a tip off that it was wrong.

From a relative who works at the plant talking to a union rep (note that a lot of people didn't show up for work and weren't caught in the raid yet) "should we go into work tomorrow, is it safe?" Rep - "I would report to work as normal.", relative - "But how do we know it's safe?" Another words I don't want to get deported because I to am here illegally.

From a relative watching the arrests - "Why don't they just leave us alone!" So you can continue to rob americans who want to work of the jobs they obviously want to do.

Directed at a group of USA citizens applauding and cheering the raid - "Don't you people have any class?Yes,but we are tired of losing jobs to those not in our country legally Don't you have any hearts?Again yes,but we want to feed our families also,and when you rob legal U.S citizens of jobs we just get pi$$ed These people are doing the jobs nobody wants to do!" Horse hockey,this company found out they could pay illegals less money,that is the only reason you had a job.Go home immigrate here legally then I won't have a problem with you.

**foot note - the following day Swift representatives held open employment to fill the missing jobs at a few local places in town, lines were reported to be out the doors for people applying for the now available jobs. Those applying reportedly were bringing multiple forms of ID to make sure there was no doubt they were US citizens and fully eligible and willing to work and fill the rolls of the illegals who were doing jobs nobody wanted!thumbup.gif

I agree Scott...the whole jobs that Americans won't do is a crock.

I've been saying this for years. It isn't worker that are coddled, it is consumers used to buying products made in the third world by slaves.

How cheap would an American factory worker have to work to compete with the chinese workers that don't even make ten bucks a day?

Who the hell did the jobs before the mexicans??? Americans that were getting paid better, some years ago this Swift chicken plant used to pay decent money and it was all whites & blacks that worked there and made good pay. Now its huge amounts of Illegals and other immigrants that take wages half of what they used to be.

Oh well dont get caught 50K

I've been saying this for years. It isn't worker that are coddled, it is consumers used to buying products made in the third world by slaves.

How cheap would an American factory worker have to work to compete with the chinese workers that don't even make ten bucks a day?

10 bucks day, its more like 10 bucks a week or mont. Many products we buy are made in Chinese prisons

Sale at walmart today, T shirts $2.00

I agree Scott...the whole jobs that Americans won't do is a crock.

Hey guys,

Maybe it is due to demographics and yours doesn't have this problem, but I don't find this statement true in relation to our experiences having to contend with much of the problems of trying to hire and retain employee's. This is not in any way relevant to what is going on overseas where they are using slave labor, this is blue collar work in a trade field.

In our area, there is a severe shortage of 'American Citizens' willing to work in this field. The lot of them want the management positions in which they are not even qualified for from the git go and don't want the positions requiring them to do the actual work. I need the indians as we already have the chiefs. We are left to hiring legal immigrants with INS cards and all proper ID. They are willing to work and have a better work ethic for the most part. We require they have english speaking skills due to the nature of our clientele.

I have tried hiring college guys and they work ok for a couple of months and once august rolls around for back to school time they become worthless. I have run ads in the regular papers with minimal responses and very few of them actually show up for the interviews. I run an ad in our local hispanic paper and get flooded with calls.

My apologies for being the controversial poster but it is real...for us it is not a crock.

Rod!~

Drugs & alcohol play a big roll in it. Americans are doing a lot of drugs and alcohol and then they dont show up to work. The the Immigrants do drugs & alcohol but they show up no matter what......................I think the Americans got to get better at handling their drugs and alcohol. LOL only kidding

Who did all these jobs before the big influx of illegals in the past several years?

Althou as Americans get lazier we have more and more service companies starting up with tons of work, so i guess theres a need for tons more workers ... The Illegals step in

What I hate is how everything is now in 2 languages, english & spanish. Thats a good thread to start, I ought to get a good response

MY question is.....if all of our manufacturing jobs are now being "outsourced" to locations in Mexico....how come they're still coming here? You'd think corporate America would start asking themselves exactly HOW BAD they've screwed up now!

Celeste

Who did all these jobs before the big influx of illegals in the past several years?

In our area, there have always been hispanic communities here. I have seen for the basis of example, landscaping crews become predominantly hispanic and the caucasian workers have basically vanished.

We can all speculate as to why this has happened but I know it is not because of the cheap wages. Many of them are earning $8-10/hour which is pretty darn good considering they are only riding a mower or toting a grass cutter etc.

Heck, if you want to see if any of them are illegal, go run by there and shout out "INS, INS, INS"

I bet that you will not see anyone running. Our area is pretty strict on payroll auditing and assure that all paperwork is in order. We have gone through it ourselves. We passed.

Rod!~

Drugs & alcohol play a big roll in it. Americans are doing a lot of drugs and alcohol and then they dont show up to work. The the Immigrants do drugs & alcohol but they show up no matter what.

A friend of mine with a landscaping business was plagued with personnel problems until he hired legal immigrants. They're not any cheaper than local workers (some he pays more) but he says they always show up and never have personal problems getting in the way of work.

He said they show up on time and work all day.

It's funny how we refer to immigrants as anything other than Americans simply because their forefathers weren't physically born here. Technically, we're all immigrants.

With that said, ILLEGALS do make things just a wee more difficult. We have a HUGE "immigrant" population in North Carolina. Let me throw this out there - since their foreheads are not tattood "LEGAL" upon legalization, when you're just out in public, you can't tell so this is a blanket statement. Our Latino community displays some of the most beautiful family unity, hard work ethics and Christian morality. They travel in packs to the grocery store - moms, dads, kids, grandmas - all together. They do show up to work. Have you ever driven by a Latino church - any time of day or any day of the week?

It would just be nice to weed out the illegals and keep the good legal folks. Our country could stand a kick in the pants on how to live.

Celeste

Hey guys,

Maybe it is due to demographics and yours doesn't have this problem, but I don't find this statement true in relation to our experiences having to contend with much of the problems of trying to hire and retain employee's. This is not in any way relevant to what is going on overseas where they are using slave labor, this is blue collar work in a trade field.

In our area, there is a severe shortage of 'American Citizens' willing to work in this field. The lot of them want the management positions in which they are not even qualified for from the git go and don't want the positions requiring them to do the actual work. I need the indians as we already have the chiefs. We are left to hiring legal immigrants with INS cards and all proper ID. They are willing to work and have a better work ethic for the most part. We require they have english speaking skills due to the nature of our clientele.

I have tried hiring college guys and they work ok for a couple of months and once august rolls around for back to school time they become worthless. I have run ads in the regular papers with minimal responses and very few of them actually show up for the interviews. I run an ad in our local hispanic paper and get flooded with calls.

My apologies for being the controversial poster but it is real...for us it is not a crock.

Rod!~

Same here Rod, I even have a few nephews that have nothing more than a high school education, and think they should be making the big bucks in management position. I have offered them opportunities to make some very good money, but they never have time to help, which I beleive they don't want anybody seeing them do any type of manual labor. I put some of the blame on us as parents alway wanting better for our children, but maybe not teaching them great work ethics to obtain their goal (spoiling the heck out of them).