Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

New 3500/5.5 from PressureTek

Good morning. I'm curious if anyone has one of these cold portable machines from Bob:

http://www.pressuretek.com/bedr55gpm35p.html

Gotta do something here within the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to having 5.5gpm+. In my experience, 8gpm would run me into supply issues far too often. Any feedback from personal use or opinions welcomed!

cheers,

/neil

Talk to Bob, he wont steer you wrong ask him if the pump on that machine is a good match for the motor. Bob is an honest straight up guy. Its a pressure pro machine i have several smaller & bigger and overall they are good machines

I have never in the 5 years I've owned an 8 gpm, ran into water supply issues. I highly doubt that you will either. Go with an 8!!! All you need is a 25 gallon water tank.

I went to wash a local restaurant on Sunday and it could not even supply my 4gpm cold water unit. Just down the same street I wash a bank that has given me 10 gpm out of the line. Go figure..

Neil,

Glad to see you doing so well up there. As far as the 5.5, I brought mine up there to Banner Elk and out of 5 homes I hooked up too, two had enough water to to keep my tank full. I know Ashville is off the hill a bit but I still think you might need a tank.

Keep posting those killer photos!

Christian

Bob's support isn't at all in question. It's the 5.5 vs the 8. Jarrod practically jumped through the phone tonight and headlocked me with those big pipes of his to get the 8. He mentioned if supply was an issue with the 8 I could simply put in a smaller orifice tip (say 4.5) for a few minutes while supply catches up. I've always understood that a pump will supply it's gpm regardless of orifice? Jarrod, you're propably right.

If supply isn't keeping up, putting in a 4.5 or whatever tip sounds like an easy solution on the jobs with supply issues. Wouldn't a 4.5 tip then result in a psi way to high for wood? I run a 50g float tank, enclosed trailer with one cold portable machine that stays on the rig 99% of the time. I'm considering the 5.5 also so I can add second set of reels, run my current 2400/4 as a second machine when needed. Now I'm back at the supply issue again with a combined 9gpm.

Manueverability and weight are important when we're up on a ladder stripping a cedar house. One arming soffits is tough enough now at the end of the day....8gpms i imagine would be considerably harder, albeit faster.

Still have a few days before I need to 'pull tha triggah'...

/neil

I run into water problems allot in CT. Many wells. I have a 4.5 to a 5 gallon a minute. If your stripping houses you will tax the system with the volume of water used. I have a 125 tank, 220 and a 300. Use common since in your choice. Knowing the depth of the well is important. If there not deep you will run out quick.

Bob's support isn't at all in question. It's the 5.5 vs the 8. Jarrod practically jumped through the phone tonight and headlocked me with those big pipes of his to get the 8. He mentioned if supply was an issue with the 8 I could simply put in a smaller orifice tip (say 4.5) for a few minutes while supply catches up. I've always understood that a pump will supply it's gpm regardless of orifice? Jarrod, you're propably right. /neil

That's hilarious! Yes, the pressure will be higher with the small tip. Just back off a bit. Is supply really an issue everywhere you go? I doubt it.

Like I said on the phone while I was headlocking you with my "pipes," start out with a 25 gal tank. If you need to go bigger, go bigger. If you already have a 50 gal tank (or larger) use that for starters. I always have 50 to 200 gallons in my tank, & I have never ran out of water.

On Monday, we started out with 50 gallons. After 4 hours of washing a filthy fleet of trucks, we were FULL!

Neil,

Look at it like this...if you haven;t already.

The cleaning power of an 8 gpm machine is far superior to the 5.5. (I do not have the 8 gpm, but understand the cleaning units provided).

By cleaning better,faster etc you could save time and money with the 8 gpm. If the supply is 6 gpm and you are using 8 gpm, there is only a 2 gpm difference.

For a 1 hour job you need 60 minutes X 2 gpm or 120 gal tank buffer plus a little extra. You don't want to have to carry a lot of water around with you if you can help it b/c of gas and wear/tear to axles etc. But you can plan on equipment needs based on some simple calculations.

Hope the example helps....Good luck

I have both , or really all 3,- 8 GPM, 6 GPM, and 5 GPM, as far as decks fences houses, an 8 GPM is 50% faster than a 5 GPM, my advice go with a 8 GPM and watch how fast you get through jobs... Especially wood, I use alot less pressure, and clean 50% faster than my competetion, we use on 1 truck a 5 GPM to throw soap, and a 8 GPM to rinse, average time on a 2500-3000 sq ft house under 45 minutes

We hardly ever X jet always down stream, it is so much faster with 2 guys, 1 guy is soaping then the other guy follows behind rinsing, usually 2 sides at a time

We usually use all three at each job, because we always upsell a housewash with a deck job or a driveway, pool deck etc.. so while 1 guy is washing the house the other 2 are washing the deck, or 1 guy washing the house, 1 guy washing the deck, and maybe the 3rd guy doing gutters, driveway etc.. this is why it is not uncommon to bill $1500 to $3000 per day, especially on large decks, apartment complex's, villas, condo's etc.. and somedays we could really use a 4 th machine, I am looking into it next year..., or if I leave 2 guys and 2 machines at a deck job I can take the van with the 6 GPM and go do a few housewash's bids, etc...