Sign in to follow this  
kenfitz

Decker Stays on the Truck

Question

Does anyone keep their HLVP on the truck and run long hoses to the deck instead of bringing the unit and chems with them to the deck all the time. I have thought of getting 250ft of hose and keeping all the stain and chems on the truck. I would need some sort of remote control off/ on but has anyone tried this. not that I am lazy or anything it just seems that it overall would take much less time. And I wouldn't worry about spilling chems on the property.

Ken

10 answers to this question

Personally I like having the deckster with me that way if it needs re-primed or turned off between applications. Also I dont like running that much hose because you have to purge more in between cleaner, sealer and brightener.

Ken,

I have a deckster on wheels that is used when 2 people are on site. I also have an extra deckster pump mounted on the truck wall that I use if working by myself. I disconnect the pressure washing hose from the pressure washer and connect it to the deckster pump. This way I only use one hose to apply chemicals and wash. Once the chemical application is complete I disconnect the pressure washing hose from the deckster and reconnect it to the pressure washer. At the end of the job there is only one hose to rollup (excluding water hose).

I don't use this method to apply sealer as cleanup would be difficult.

Mr Fenner aka KF1,

I was thinking of leaving my PWer in a Van, but everybody says that a van setup is hard to work with because of the heat issue. I was thinking that I could lift the PWer out of the van everytime I need it.Hence the fact I would like it to be lite. What I am trying to do is find the best system for wood restoration in a van. As well as keep the cost very low. So when I add a crew it doesn't have to cost so much.

Ken Fitzgerald aka KF2

I'm adding the same types of setup for 2 "wood wagons" this year. They are going to be built solely for maintenance cleaning and sealing and small jobs. The area where my trucks sit at night is isolated and near train tracks so open trailers are out for me too. The units are going to be driven by guys to whom I would not trust a trailer (thats just about everyone)

My time in the field this past season was spent primarily on wood detail. I worked from an E-350 that had half of its cargo area taken up by hydraulics and lift electrical system. Downsides: After being in it for awhile, Christine says "You smell like the truck" which is a combination of VOC's and fuel. To me its the smell of money but that is why some guys don't like the enclosed quarters. And, of course, on very hot days you have to make sure your reserve gas/diesel supply is not sitting in the cargo area. It does get hot in there.

What I do is run a gas powered Graco 5900 paint sprayer. You can run 4 250' hoses and still mantain a nice even flow. I know it sounds like over kill but it works great and you can sometimes find these on ebay for pretty cheap. Just mount the sprayer to your rig and forget about it. The only thing you have to take to your deck is a brush for back brushing.

I am working on the logistics of an on board decker system with around 200' of hose, reel and containment for spills such as a tray or other vessel to capture sealant in the case of a leak or spills during container changes. For one thing, it would make my life so much easier if the saddle tank (225gal) we have installed in the van was a square configuration instead of rounded. I could then set up a smaller tank on top of it with reel(s) next to it and take the pump assembly and mount it to the bulk head wall with a line to the main battery for power.

As you can tell, it is a project in the works also waiting on this years budget allotment so I can determine how and when it will be done. I may sell the tank and replace it with another square one as mentioned above.

Rod!~