Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Abrams

Cabot's S P F

Question

10 answers to this question

Let me elaborate. I did one deck with it at the insistance of the homeowner. I made them sign a waiver. I cleaned and prepped the deck. I wet the deck prior to application. Applied two coats. In one year recoated again because it started to peel. Came back at the end of this season and its failing again. The homeowner now has a $3000 strip job scheduled for spring.

In addition to what I do professionally in the field, I deal literally with thousands of homeowners with my other DIY company. About 20 reports have come in from dissatisfied homeowners. Same issues. Acrylics suck. After talking to Cabot's they blamed my prep work. Yeah okay. I should have used their bleach and soap mix I guess. Others that have talked to Cabots have had similar blame shifts. On guy was told he was supposed to sand his deck first. It does not say that on any website, label or brochure. They are touting this product for hardwoods?

In my opinion, steer clear.

I figured either that one or the Flood Spa n Deck (same principal - oil base coat, acrylic topcoat) I have say that we have put Spa n Deck down on two projects and both after 2+ years still look outstanding! Shane's seen some bad messes with that product I think though.

Celeste

I put SPF on about 4 decks about 2 years ago and before I became "educated" better on stains. I returned to do maintenance cleanings on all but one and each looked great. each were total strip down jobs with all in poor condition prior to my cleaning. One deck had a Sikkens product on it that was really butcher'd up, caked on mess.

I need to qualify though I am not an advocate for using acrylics because of what they are, how they work or not and "typical performance".

There are some really good oil based products for best performance and quality....Do your research and learn how to apply and maintain that (those) products.

I made a sample board of it a couple years ago when it first came out. It looks okay, but it was pricey then (and I'm certain even more so now), and I smartened up about using acryllics before I ever got around to using it. I feel like I dodged a bullet there! Stay away from them if you hope to have repeat business.