Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Chemical pit

I thinking about putting a chemical tank in my new warehouse space for 12%. I'm looking for the best way to set this up. we use anywhere from 50-200 plus gallons a week when we a busy and we only have 50, 65 & a 100 gallon tanks on 3 different trailers and we have to go to the pool supply place a couple times a week. I want to put a 200-300 gallon tank in the warehouse and the pool supply place will deliver weekly free of charge.

Safety is my main concern. I'm thinking have tank elevated on stell frame bolted to concrete. Im thinking gravity feed instead of a pump that may not get washed out each time. I figuring have it 8 ft high. My main concern is SPILL protection. Looking for ideas on containment. I was thinking have block pit made and then have it coated with Line X, but that will be pretty pricey

Any good ideas

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, I think that is a great idea. I think 8 ft might be a bit too high though, would that be the height of the bottom of the tank, or the top of the tank? What kind of setup does the supplier have for filling the tank, gravity feed, or pump? A couple of other things to think about is ventilation inside the warehouse, being closed up at night and other long periods of time would be a problem. Then you would have the problem of corrosion for your equipment and the metal of the building. What about seeing if you could place the tank outside? Good idea on the containment with blocks and linex. I would also have a chain link fence with razor wire on top. The price might be expensive, but I would imagine it would be cheaper than having any type of spill. Another thing to think about is liability insurance and permitting, maybe the supplier could give you help on that. One of the big advantages of having that is not having your guys spending valuable time having to go get the stuff every week or so. Good Luck with this, its a great thought that will save you lots of money in the long term.

Jeff, talk to your supplier. They may even be willing to help finance the project since they can sell you bulk and recommend the easiest system for filling based on their criteria. Not to mention they can help you with OSHA legalities etc.

I thinking about putting a chemical tank in my new warehouse space for 12%. I'm looking for the best way to set this up. we use anywhere from 50-200 plus gallons a week when we a busy and we only have 50, 65 & a 100 gallon tanks on 3 different trailers and we have to go to the pool supply place a couple times a week. I want to put a 200-300 gallon tank in the warehouse and the pool supply place will deliver weekly free of charge.

Safety is my main concern. I'm thinking have tank elevated on stell frame bolted to concrete. Im thinking gravity feed instead of a pump that may not get washed out each time. I figuring have it 8 ft high. My main concern is SPILL protection. Looking for ideas on containment. I was thinking have block pit made and then have it coated with Line X, but that will be pretty pricey

Any good ideas

Thanks

Jeff

I'm all for the spill protection, but not sure I'd go to that much expense in a building I didn't own. You may consider having the company fill six separate 55 gallon drums instead of one 300 gallon tank. If one drum ruptured you'd have at most 55 gallons on the ground so you're retention basin you want to build would only need to be a couple of inches high. It may save you some money since you don't own the building.

As far as the corrosion goes, it is a valid concern. I personally would not store it outside.Though I don't think NAOCL vapor(from simply venting) is corrosive, I would check. If it is, I would check with a vendor and see if you could vent the tank (or open drum) through a carbon filter instead.

Congratulation on the warehouse space by the way.

Scott

You could build a berm around it. Some of the containment systems I've seen involve the tank on an elevated platform (~ 1 - 2 feet off the ground) with a perimeter around it high enough to contain the volume within the tank. The floors are also depressed in the center to allow for a single pump point extraction, but usually that's incorporated in to the construction of the building...for a place you are renting this may not be feasible. Do they make double-walled poly tanks?

Though I don't think NAOCL vapor(from simply venting) is corrosive, I would check. If it is, I would check with a vendor and see if you could vent the tank (or open drum) through a carbon filter instead.

Scott

It is.

Thanks Ryan. I wasn't sure. It sounds like a no brainer but I know you are not exposed to respiratory hazards unless it is aerosolized, so that is why I wasn't sure.

Will scrubbing the vapors with a carbon filter work for him? Chemically I mean.

Scott

http://chappellsupply.com/palletpaks.htm

Jeff, do these pallet paks look good for what you need?

Already has a frame and looks like you can move them around easy with a forklift.

Put a two inch hose on that with a good poly valve. You could fill a 55 gallon drum in 30 seconds!

I wish I had a warehouse, chemical companies won't deliver to residential locations.

Thanks Ryan. I wasn't sure. It sounds like a no brainer but I know you are not exposed to respiratory hazards unless it is aerosolized, so that is why I wasn't sure.

Will scrubbing the vapors with a carbon filter work for him? Chemically I mean.

Scott

It's the free chlrorine that is released when the bleach is stored in a container. As the bleach level drops in the tank, the air above it will fill with chlorine gas (if not allowed to vent). When draining the tank, it wouldn't be a an issue because the tank will be pulling vent air in...but when filling the tank the chlorine gass will be displaced and exit through the vent. I would check with the chlorine vendor and ask them what they do about diluting or scrubbing chlorine gas released in their filling or production process...there may be EPA regulations about vent concentration (usually in mg chlorine / m^3 air sample tested). If there aren't, then there shouldn't be any problem.

To be legal I think that you need to be able to totally contain the spill. You would need a dike around the tank that would be able to handle say 500 gallons for a 400 gallon tank. When figuring dike size you have to figure in a safety margin after you have all things accounted for with other things in the dike that would take up volume from you capacity. The idea with six 55 gallon drums and the pallet catch basins may be your best idea, though I know that you have the volume to needed to look at the dike.

Good luck.

Anthony

PS> We have dikes at work that are for say 50k gallon capacity because we have several 25k gallon tanks in them.

To be legal I think that you need to be able to totally contain the spill. You would need a dike around the tank that would be able to handle say 500 gallons for a 400 gallon tank. When figuring dike size you have to figure in a safety margin after you have all things accounted for with other things in the dike that would take up volume from you capacity. The idea with six 55 gallon drums and the pallet catch basins may be your best idea, though I know that you have the volume to needed to look at the dike.

Good luck.

Anthony

PS> We have dikes at work that are for say 50k gallon capacity because we have several 25k gallon tanks in them.

Anthony is right,

Every state may be different if there are such legal guidelines. Our process structure may have 150,00 gallons flowing through it at any given time(25 vessels plus all related piping).Our spill retention is designed for the contents of the largest vessel plus a set amount of rainwater since it is not complely under roof. It is not designed to hold every drop just the contents of one vessel failure.

That's why I said 6 separate drums because then(in my mind anyway) you only need to plan on one drum failing at any given time.This way you're only a couple of inches high in containment.

Scott

Thanks for the info all, I think I might just go with 5-6 55 gallon drums for now, 1- be a lot cheaper 2- easier to contain 3- since I don't own the warehouse I don't want to have something permanent and so costly.

I just need something, because it does get expensive sending the crew to get it. We are coming back from a job and its faster to just go get chem, but Im paying 3 guys sometimes to go for a ride for chem and sitting there sometimes. Got to save where you can

I'll have to get a pump that can handle 12% instead of hand pumps

Thanks for all the help!!

Jeff

I'll have to get a pump that can handle 12% instead of hand pumps

Thanks for all the help!!

Jeff

Just get one of those 5 gallon a minute devalan pumps. At 5 gpm's you're tank on trailer would be filled in like 10 minutes. Just start pumping as soon as you get the trailer parked. Stop if not done and finish in the morning while gathering your stuff for the day.

Scott

Jeff,

Something like this should take care of containment problems with a single 300-500 gallon tank.

Ultra-Containment Sump 275

Thanks Scott, I called them , for the one with a drain its $399 plus S&H not to bad, Im going to look for a tank that fits and I might go for it. With this I could take it with me if I moved. Still might do the drums, I figure it out this week

Thanks

Jeff

....total novice to this subject. But can't you buy clorine/bleach in pellet form?? Seems like that would be handy. Obviously, if this is possible I'm sure it's been thought of, so please tell me why it won't work.

Scott,

I like the portable tank and dike method. I had seen them before but had a brain fart on the subject. I know that we have the permanent type and the four drum plastic catch pan at work.