Sign in to follow this  
kenfitz

Epoxy Coating of Garage Floors. Who does it & Suggestions

Question

Hello all, Does anyone coat the garage floors with Epoxy? I hear the Home Depot is charging 2700 for a two car garage, and would like to know if this would be a valuable business addition. Here are some of the questions I have.

What product would you recommend? Rustoleum

What are the potential drawbacks?

What is the average sqft price/ cost?

Can this stuff be removed?

Are most customers happy afterward?

Any horror stories?

Thanks all,

KenFitz 408.712.7950

7 answers to this question

Kenfitz,

There is way too much info here to give you in type so if you would like to disscuss the up's, downs and many dangers please call me at 800-475-1975 or my cell phone (607) 343-1537 (I will be in Vegas at the World of Concrete until Friday so call my cell)

We specialize in sealing and coating concrete and I have decades of experiance in the specialty coating business. I will do my best to keep you out of trouble.

Just a quick note..... Did you know that Home Depot and several of their "independent contractors" are facing litigation because of floor failures?

Here to help so don't be shy.

Bob Chatterton

TARA Group/ V-Seal

We do many Garage floors.....have moved more into selling acid etching, sinc e many people like the effect once sealed. But its basically a resin with little flakes you put in for looks :) Never had a problem with it however i can do the same thing with a color stain flake and clear coat. I prefer that route then to buy a box from home depot :) my .02

I've Just completed my first epoxy application (my own two car garage). It was a learning experience. I'm glad it was mine - would have felt bad charging for the job. When I was done I found a few small defects that I would avoid with my next job. Like, broadcasting flakes more evenly (the end of the bays look much more even then the start - more of a feel thing), i would have used two thin coats rather than one liberal one and I would have used the sand arrogate toped with a clear instead of the flakes.

I have heard of somepeople using a seed hopper to broadcast the flakes, does anyone know if that would work? Also, most of these kits like Rustolium and H&C just come with a cleaner/ degreaser or mild acid like citric. It seems that the coatings for more industrial applications require the use an hydrocloric or Muriadic acid to etch before the coating goes down or even shot blasting. (What is shot blasting?) Does a residential garage need this type of treatment?

Ken

Depending on which H&C you're using, the surface does require a muriatic etching. The one we have applied is like paint, two coats and a third optional clear coat on top. Finish looks like painted concrete, nothing special.

Celeste

Wow, this is a subject that would be impossible to explain over a forum thread.

The best way for you to learn about all this is pick somebody's brain for all the info you can. You may call an industrial paint representative or if you know a very casual painter (that don't mind telling his secrets of the trade) that is willing to share by all means shoot your questions at him. Just make sure he's done it before and knows what he's talking about.

You can contact SSPC.ORG (Society for Protective Coatings), they are an organization for industrial painting contractors and can help you out and send you in the right direction. SSPC used to give courses out and they did have classes on floor coatings. I know I deal with PPG (Pittsburg paint) and they have the MegaSeal line of floor coating, and they offer hands on courses on how to apply so you may contact a PPG Industrial coating store for more info.

Like Bob Chatterton said get the most info you can before even attempting to get floor coating jobs, you can get in trouble real fast. Floor failure can be a disaster and can cost you big $$$$.

Dan