Sign in to follow this  
John T

Company website using others pictures

There is a company that is using other people's pictures on his website and even though he states on his site that this is how things could look if Pressure wash I still feel it is Unethical to use others pictures without there consent.

Here's a post I left on steve's board concerning this. Tell me if I'm out of line. I also e-mailed John Orr to let him know.

I don't like the idea of using others pictures on your site without there permission even if there not copywrited which probably 99% pictures aren't. There is a few pictures on that site that I recognized and its just not right. Extremely unethical and with False pretenses given to the fact that people hire you for your work and your showing before and after pictures of others. There could be some legal ramifications at play here.

The right thing to do would be to take those pictures out pronto and put your own in. Take them as you go. DO the honorable thing and you shall be rewarded but by being dishonest you are leaving a bad taste in some fellow powerwashers mouths especially those that find out your using there pictures.

Think about it.

That question was somewhat brought up on another bb and his response was the website designer gave him these pictures and he was allowed to use them because they weren't copyrighted.

I'm not questioning what he was told but that answer doesn't seem correct to me. Others on that other bb have brought this to his attention but seeing pictures on his site that belong to others.

I did e-mail John Orr to let him know and if he is fine with it thats ok. If it was me I would be pissed that someone was using my pictures for advertising on there web. without my permission.

I'm just reporting what I'm seeing and if everyone is fine with it then no harm done. I wish I could find this post on the other bb. Either way this is just my point of view.

Yes I think the post was deleted on steve's bb but the pictures of John Orr's Grey shed are still on this guys website. Myself, Morgan and someone else on Steve's site pointed this out to that guy that its unethical to use other people's pictures without there consent.

I like to help others in this industry and when I see something like this I think it should be pointed out. The guy that owns that website was just going by what his web designer said was ok to do as far as using others pictures since they are not copyrighted.

I would like to here Beth's take on this since she actually designs websites.

I have been asked by one person that I built a web site for to snag others photos, and I flat out refused. This person told me he had permission to use them so I called to verify and it was untrue.

People do take others photos all the time, it's one reason we add bevels, shadows, and even our name, to make it harder to use them since we don't want others using our work.

Having said that I will say that in my opinion any reputable web designer will not steal things from others sites, since they know the value of time put into creating the sites, the graphics, and so forth. All of my clients send me photos or cd's, and if they don't have photos, I tell them to get a camera and get busy. Your first couple of jobs will get you rolling just fine and can be replaced with other newer ones.

I have also seen guys hide behind the "my web designer did it" thing when there is not web designer, they built it themselves or when they snagged the images and send them to the unsuspecting web designer.

Protect your name and your logo first and foremost. Trademarks and copyright are not inexpensive but are valuable and make you worth more money. Watermark your photos. Protect your text.

Beth:soapbox: :bullistic :taz:

p.s. Why on earth did the thread get deleted from Steve's BBS? This is an important ethical issue and it surfaces several times a year. Well no worries, it's staying put here.

I was curious to why it was deleted but I think I was the last to answer that post there with my above response. Nobody wants to get involved with something that has the term "legal ramifications" in it. I wouldn't be surprise that Steve at this point deleted the thread.

By the way that thread had nothing to do about other peoples pictures on his web. I think that post was about his trailer. Morgan might have brought it out that he recognized pictures on his website that belong to others. I took it from there and...poof! GONE!!!

I also think that he only had a couple of post on Steve's site and I'd be surprised if he goes back on it. Lastly I speculate that he may be also a civil servant such as myself by the way he phrased a few things. If he is he should know better but then again he might know the laws and he could be in his right even though its still unethical.

It goes to show you what goes on out there. I like the term "Stay true to your Morals" and nothing like having a clear conscience.

Maybe he will do "The right thing" and change his website.

John I deleted that post over there as you know I am a moderator over there now. The guy actually posted a response to you and if was not very pleasing to the eye if you get my drift and I talked with Steven about it and we decided to delete the entire post. We decided that the guy has one more chance to not stir up trouble on the board or he will be banned from that site. If you had read the post carefully you would see that the guy said he had been doing this for a yr and had only done three jobs and one of those was a repeat job (probably family) and that he was only pressure washing for fun money. We dont like his ethics at all and would consider him to be one of those hated lowballers we all talk about. I dont know if you noticed but he also posted a link to a competitors web site for Glenn who sells equipment, that will not be tolerated on that board either as its not on this board as well. I hope I ansered you as to why the post was deleted. Steven sent him a PM and told him to back off and to refrain from bad mouthing people such as you John. We dont need or want people like that on that board that board is there for people who want to learn and are serious about this business as most people are on this board and that one. I am not saying that newbies are not welcome at all but newbies stirring up trouble we dont need or want.:D

Whats important here is that I helped the guys/gals that matter and for the other ones such as this company to hopefully see the light. I didn't get to read his response on Steve's bb but it doesn't matter because I did the Honorable thing.

When I got an e-mail From John Orr thanking me and that he spoke to him about removing the pictures for which he agreed to do thats what counts. Helping an Honorable Powerwasher. What else can you ask for from these great bb's.

The way you do it would be fine by me but to use a picture from someone else to sell your work without there permission then that wouldn't fly.

Hey just had to pipe in on this. Had that happen to me about 2 years ago. Had someone email me the link to a site that had the infamous 2 tone on their site. Well, to make a long story short, it ended up in a word battle and finally the company removed the picture. I went as far as stating I didn't mind if the pic was used but the right thing was to be asked first. To me it was a matter of integrity and honest representation. Unfortunately the other guy didn't see it that way and it ended up quite unpleasant.

I think the common courtesy of asking permission should take place if others pictures are to be used and a disclaimer on the picture should be stated.

just my .02 worth.

Reed

What John Orr should do is send this guy a registered letter with proof of delivery and tell him point blank he does not have permission to use any of his pictures and to do so shall bring legal action against him.

Then keep checking his board to be sure he obeys, or have an attorney send the letter.

I remember someone used one of Beth and Rods pictures not that long ago and I think Beth called him on it then he removed it.

Sometimes you have to get tough with those that steal and lie.

Morgan you did the right thing too.

Jon

Alan,

So if the others remain who do they belong to? I was only able to spot John Orr's. If you know then clue us in so someone can notify them like I did with John Orr's. This is classic of Powerwashers taking care of each other. Kind of like the PWNA which is an organization taking care of us. OK I had to throw that in there but think about it. Make this organization work for you by getting involved.

Hi all!

Sorry for not responding to this thread sooner. John, I think I sent you an email thanking you for the tip - if not, I'm sorry. Here's what happened:

After getting John's tip, I immediately emailed the owner of the offending site, requesting that my pics be deleted asap. I pointed out to him that the pics he was using are my signature pics; I use them on my home page as well as my business cards and some of my signage.

I received a reply the next day agreeing to remove my pics, but claiming that he had bought them from a broker who claimed that, since I didn't have a copyright on them, they were fair game.

I replied that, legally, photos are assumed to be copyrighted unless otherwise stated. I sent him a link to a website that explained the law.

My pics are of his site, so I am satisfied, though I suppose I will put a copyright notice on my site. Thanks again John for letting me know.

John,

I kknow how it feels to have that done to you. We had one guy use not only our logo, but a photo of Rod washing a house! We have also had others try to use the company name and slogan. (Our name is Trademarked so no one can use it but us) Consider yourself lucky that he agreed.

To anyone else with this concern, you can always go to the host for the web site and report it to them if necessary. Most hosts don't like to hear that their clients are doing naughty things.

Beth