Sign in to follow this  
detailsetc.

Winter blues

Question

14 answers to this question

Sometimes we do Government type work! :lgcold:

Last week had my guys doing stuff around the house.

Today we reinstalled a head on one of my old tractors. The tractor is 77 years old and we've got it running like a youngster!

This is a picture of the tractorsitting on this flatbed truck. Last year we worked on the engine of this truck. The year before we worked on the body of the truck. :lgmoneyey

Dave Olson

post-42-137772173983_thumb.jpg

All of my guys are laid off and getting unemployment since November. This business is kinda like construction work, and that is what I tell everyone when I do hire.

We will not start back up until March, but I do have my lead guys go to conventions and shows for education and sales to start the new season during January and February.

I enjoy the slow time because it gives you a chance to regroup all you thoughts, advertising, equipment maintenance, and work on new target customers and add on services. Also throw in a few warm vacations.

About 14 years back, find a job.

We have just started ourselves, but we are cold calling local grocery store for work. It seems they need thier dairy coolers & loading docks cleaned for FDA guidlines. The trick is water containment, and covering products from overspray. Heat kicks butt, and it is 1st shift work, but work is work. Oh yea, were making about 256.00 per dairy cooler @1200Sq FT. takes about 2-5 hrs depending on the staff moving products from one side to another and direction of water flow to drains when they have them.

Check it out

Interior painting. But then again - it requires alot of commitment to excellence to do interior painting - not something to be done just to take

up the 'slack'. Unless you are proficient enough to do condo type paint jobs, which can be good money. I focus on real high end residential re-paints. Hopefully there will come a day - when my spring/summer/fall season is soo booked up with exterior house painting, pressure washing, and deck restoration - that when I get a call for an 'estimate', I can tell 'em - 'sorry ma'am - you will have to wait until late November before I can come into your home - man that would be so great! November through March - when I am succesful those will be the only times of year that I will paint inside - or if they want it done during the year, my estimates will be exactly double!

Other business ventures, get a job, painting like Dan mentioned. PressurePros just about pays my salary in the winter, which ain't sayin' much. Make sure you save and invst your money as you make it. Don't be an equipment junky.

Other business ventures, get a job, painting like Dan mentioned. PressurePros just about pays my salary in the winter, which ain't sayin' much. Make sure you save and invst your money as you make it. Don't be an equipment junky.

Equipment junky. I like that one. LOL

Our Cleaning sevice gets us through the winters and through my equipment habit.

We just keep going here in the beautiful south. We get cold snaps that we can work around but they rarely last. Today it was 68 degrees.

:lglolly:

I do handyman stuff for friends and family and with the wife working we are getting the bills paid. I have had a lot of time to (what I call invest in myself) research, work on marketing, adververting, and sales stuff. But I do have some goals for this year and one of them is to set more money back for winter.....lol I know what you guys meant now when you said I would be a "starving PWer" the first year or so. Oh well spring is within site and I will be hitting it hard. Can't wait, I'm getting sick of people asking me when I'm going to get a "real job". All I say is, what the hell is a real job? Losers, some people just don't get it.

We still work, too, but it's SLOOOOW. I register as a substitute teacher with the local schools and accept assignments if they fit in my schedule. Doesn't pay much, but it keeps me busy and DEFINITELY keeps me young!