Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Trailer size needed?

I am trying to research the different trailers and what kind of setup

I will need. But it seems if I have a single axle unit rated at 3500lbs - that something like a 225 gallon tank will already be 1800lbs. plus the weight of the

trailer, 1000lbs. And the fact the legal limit of single axle trailer is capped at 3000lbs that leaves me with a scant 200lbs for everything else to go on the trailer. Do you have to go tandem axle? Do you need a 225 tank if you are planning on a 5.5gpm machine with hot and cold, for house washing and decks. What experiences do most people have as to what you really need for water tank sizes, there are also tanks that will be needed for chemicals.

And is it customary to ride around with full tanks - or do you folks ride around with them empty and just let them fill up at the customers and then try to use it up on the job?

Daniel,

There are several different options you have. You can use a smaller (approx.50-100 gallon) tank as a "float tank" and feed the water hose from the residents house as needed. If you have a van you can even install a water tank in there. Of course these 2 options are to try to stay within the weight limit of a single axle. Just an idea. Other options are to look around at who is selling trailers and see how they are set up. This would probably mean going to a bigger trailer. Good luck.

If you dont have one already I would get a dual axle trailer..I carry so much that I ran into a problem that alot don't have to deal with if they plan accordingly. My 18 ft Enclosed trailer when full I'm carrying 9000lbs(Including the weight of the trailer) when the trailer is rated at 7000lbs. So because of this tomorrow my trailer place is removing those 3500lb axles and replacing them with 5000+ axles. And now I need all new wheels and tires..not a cheap move.

I have a single axle trailer rated 300 lbs wth a 225 gal tank, hot waer skid and hose reels. The axle did bend on me over time,abot 4 years. I got it replaced and been fine since. I do not have to haul water to far when I do. When I get a nesw setup I will be getting a duel axle or a small box truck.

I've got a 225 water tank that I fill half way, piped directly to my 'currently' 4 gpm machine. Downstream injector setup.

So all I have to do is pull hose and start washing. On small jobs I may never have to run any fill hose at all. If I do, I have fill connections on each side of the trailer with a Hudson float valve on the tank. Just let the water run while you wash.

PW is also bypassed to the tank.

That's the way I set up my rig. It's real sweet and convenient.

Buy a very heavy way to travel too. Water sloshes a LOT in the big tank (no baffles) and it shoves you forward and back even when driving. Hit a bump and it's hang on time. I've also got a 100 gallon chlorine tank that I will fill only when needed.

Fortunately I started with a tandem axle and wouldn't recommend a single axle at all for pressure washing. You just never know how much weight you will eventually end up putting on it.

Plus, a tandem pulls much better than a single. And believe it or not, it will also help set you apart from most of the 'fly-by-nighters' since they seem to always have single axle trailers.

No offense to those using single axles. It's just customer perception I'm speaking about.

Something to think about also is your pull vehicle. I intially thought I would pull my trailer with my Jeep Cherokee. It pulled it OK, but STOPPING was another problem.

Solved that by getting a 1 ton dually.

Make sure if you are going to pull high gallonage that your trailer has good brakes and your pull vehicle is heavy enough to stop it, if for some reason the trailer brakes fail.

Also, I learned quickly when building out my 12' trailer that a 14 footer would have been much nicer. Space gets used up quickly with a couple large tanks, PW, surface cleaner, chem. racks/cabinets, misc.hose, etc.

I have a 16 ft. tandem axle and wish it were longer.

I am wanting to put two machines on it.

I have a 425Ga. tank, high pressure hose reel, low pressure hose reel, 2- 35 Ga. chemical tanks, one hydrotek, a tool box.

I really don't have much space left.

I would advise to get the tandem because it pulls easier, room to upgrade, better resale value, safer, and not much more $ to buy one than a single axle. I saw the other day, a fellow selling new 7,000# 6 1/2 x 16ft. tandem's for 775.00

I bought mine with brakes for 900.00

How much are you really going to save buying a single axle?

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

I have a single axle trailer rated at 6000 lbs. It has full size wheels and a massive axle. Electric brakes cure the surge problem. If you want to carry weight on a single axle trailer you probably shouldn't be looking at Big Tex or others. Gotta go custom.

trailer3.jpg