Sign in to follow this  
ccsigns

Like a Virgin

Question

Hi everyone, my name is Rich Clos, and am gearing up for my first year in this new business. Weve established our name as CC Signs & Specialties llc, DBA Steam Slingers Powerwashing. I am 40 yrs old, married 11 yrs this month to my beautiful & awsome wife Deb, have one son Shawn junior in college, & the rulers of the houshold Becca & Miles(we rescued him & hes a freek, but a very regal one) our chocolate labradors.

I have researched a great deal(continue to need more) info here & around. Have done several "teeth cutting" jobs powerwashing/cleaning some semi-trailer fleets, landed a cleaning contract with a local propane distributer(8 bulk trucks, 6 stake bulk carriers, 5 service P/Us). We are shooting for MAR 01 to implement the 1st phase of our marketing plan, and are hoping for the best. We are targeting specifc areas with visable white residue, phospherrous stains/ calcium, that has stained the homes brick, from old/current white siding around windows, facia, soffit.

We currently (15 years) operate a small sign business doing strictly fleet identification/de-identification for our own leads/customer base & sub contract for several other national graphics companies. Last year we net around & 75K and decided to expand.

In may06 I acquired a Landa PGHW5-3500 w/112 hrs, 30''steel eagle surface washer, 400ft HP hose, 2 reels, 400ft water hose, 2- 36'' double wands, 1-72'' single wand, extension pole, misc fittings/gaskets and a 375 gal tank. We already owned 2-3800PSI cold water machines, scaffolds, ladders, & 5X 8 trailer.

Upon acquisition of this PW equipment we loaded it into the 5X8 trailer & used it for many of our current jobs in fleet graphics, and were slowly being asked to perform additional cleaning for graphics prep work/post work. It seems the Landa doesnt operate its best with just a spicot hookup, so we loaded the tank into the trailer for direct operation. It's was a little tight in that trailer(SEE PIC), but we limped around for the rest of the year until I ran accross a great deal on a 1986 Dodge 350van 17passenger, with only 56, 000 original miles which now houses the full unit.

Now, considering the fact that we live in SE Michigan, there is a question of finding winter work when the temps are below like 32F with >12MI wind chill.

Q: Just how cold are you guys washing? Any special recdomendations?

Anyhow, I have been brainstorming into various work that would not be affected by the climate, I think I have a few unique ideas, whta are you guy/gals doing?

What do most of you find to be the most profital areas of our work?

We havent ventured into the 2 step process that most of the guys in our area use, & are not certain we want to go that way(toxicitity, environment concerns), nor do we have a recapture process that makes any job profitable to venture toward. So we are mostly going to try and stay close to houses and decks, with minor fleet work where recaturing our water would be an issue. We have only used a product called SE675, no acids and dont have anything but a downstream method for application(mostly dilute detergents in bucket & brush). We also purchase a chemical called DiLimonene by the Drum and have added it to some of our cleaning jobs for grease/tar/bugs.

It would seem most of you are using the Xjet nozzle, i'm curious how that would handle the DiLimonene? Probably just another thing to buy & try as we did with the turbo nozzle(quite pleased).

This board is very helpful & I hope that it may be possible to participate as we walk the path so many of already passed. Thank You

Rich Clos

Steam Slingers Powerwashing

Taylor, MI.

313-231-1477

ccsigns@comcast.net

11 answers to this question

Well, I guess I'm lucky to be the first to welcome you. It's a nice little (maybe not so little) e-community. A 'thing' that is especially cool is meeting people at a round table or convention.

One thing to be careful of is comedy. It doesn't communicate well.

So enjoy. One thing though, don't be so shy.

Bill Lightner

Rich,

Welcome to TGS. give a call if you would like to talk. If you are interested a couple of us are going to the STL round table and we may have space if want to ride with us.

BTW ,there is a signature rule here

(Q: Just how cold are you guys washing? Any special recdomendations?)

I will not send my crew out there if the low is below 30F. Its bad for your machine, and it is also a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Welcome to the bbs, please

Follow this link to the forum rules on signatures, and update yours using the USER CP in the upper left hand corner.

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/forum-general-announcements/4143-signature-requirements-users-please-read.html

[ATTACH]6803[/ATTACH]hi guys.... i feel the winter blues here too, as it gets pretty cold here as well so we like to keep warm w/ our chocolate blankets...

post-2556-137772174213_thumb.jpg

Just finished our first brick retore job. Tested area, pre sprayed plants, covered with plastic, then used the most effective product. Took me (one man) 3 hours to do the affected areas then pressure spray the entire home & front porch. Charged $310.00. Very happy customer and several cards handed out to neighbors who want estimates. Looks promising. Thanks for all your help all.

Rich Clos

Steam Slingers Powerwashing

Taylor, MI

post-2636-137772176204_thumb.jpg

post-2636-137772176219_thumb.jpg

post-2636-137772176229_thumb.jpg

Never a secret to a brother in the business Shane. I have learned so much from all here it would be a travesty to not contribute back.

Well Shane, I used 3 products for the test. Sureclean 600, Sureclean Ferrous Stain Remover then Diedriech 101. The product that work most efficiently was the Diedriech101. I did it in its pure form, then tried diluting it w/less effectiveness which required 3 applications. The un diluted mix was thorough at two applications the rinse with 3000psi 160F heat, running a 12'' spinner to contain the splash danger. Then I hit the rest of the home w/3500psi and a turbo nozzle.

Rich Clos

Steam Slinger Powerwashing

Taylor, MI. 48180

313-231-1477