Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

1)Get WorkComp, and 2)don't burn down your trailer

Question

Well, I haven't come over to the Club House in a bit, so I thought I'd share a couple of my more interesting happenings from '06. I hope that only by sharing these that anyone new or old in this business realizes just how close we can be to losing our livelihoods.

My main fulltime right-hand man had a ladder slip out from under him on 12/21. He was 10' up on an extension ladder masking a second story window in prep for staining. The ladder feet shifted in mulch, hit a wet stamped concrete walkway and down he came. I was around the other side of the house at the time. He completely destroyed his lower tib/fib and ankle. An ambulance ride, six days in the hospital, 2 surgeries, plates, screws, an external fixation device, and $42,000 in medical bills later...he 'might' be able to return to work in May. My work comp picked up from dollar one and has helped me through my first W/C incident. If you don't have it, understand what liability you are taking upon yourself. I'd be out of business without it, period. My insurance agent shared with me her recollection of that day in her office me *****ing up and down about the premiums. That premium looks pretty cheap to me today.

To add to that, as the ladder was coming down the wall it came across the kitchen sink window (that the homeowner was stading at!) and could have easily busted through, thankfully it didn't. There were ladder boot scuffs down the height of the entire window. Had there not been boots on the ends, bigger mess. Window replacement ain't cheap. I could have had a G/L disaster on top of the W/C mess. Let your mind think now for second on how quickly things can go bad real quick like.

No fault on this next one except MINE! My enclosed trailer was parked overnight in my driveway. Air temps down to 25 or so that night, so I plugged in the ceramic heater set at 35degrees. Next morning I come out the front door of the house and smell something burning. Think nothing much of it. Opening my side door on the trailer and I literally almost threw up. The smell of burnt plastic and rancid smoke and a black greasy film coated EVERYTHING inside. I had a 6gal pail filled 1/3 with diluted degreaser for stain and spirit soiled rags, but bucket was nearly full with rags. Never imagined a spontaneous combustion in an enclosed trailer on a cold night. The 6'er was sitting on top of my parts caddy box thing and on my water tank, thank God. Check out the nasty picture attached! Luckily, the water in the bottom of the bucket prevented it from completely igniting. Water tank now has a permanent reminder melted into the top to watch what the hell we're doing when tired and ready to head to the house. I only lost the bucket and about $6 in pvc fittings.

So, friends, don't let an employees mistake cost you your entire business OR be a dumbass like me and almost burn down your rig!

Other than that...'06 was a KILLER year!

cheers,

/neil

post-1223-137772174106_thumb.jpg

post-1223-13777217411_thumb.jpg

post-1223-137772174115_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Goes to show that you may never think it can happen, but, it can and it will. Usually when you can least afford for to happen. Thank god, it was not worse than it was. I hope your right hand man makes a quick recovery and makes it back sooner than May. I'm sure he is hoping for the same.

Insurance can make you feel lucky at the most unlucky times! Neil hope your guy is back in action soon and thankfully you didn't lose a rig! This is a great post for all to heed, but especially for the folks just getting started, you have to be insured!

JD

Any indication your insurance company will drop you now? Just asking after someone brought up that TLV thread awhile back....

Glad you had the arrangements to take care of your guy and he wasn't hurt worse than he was. If he decides to come back to PWing, he'll be the most loyal employee you'll ever have for taking care of him like that (he should be, anyway).