Sign in to follow this  
Bennyhonda

More than I can handle?

First off, I'm a pressure washer. I've got a window washing estimate tomorrow and I was wondering... ifthis job is too much for me to handle, is there a way to sub it out and still make some $ if their bid is accepted? I've never done this before so what would it all entail? The building is a four story and I wont know until tomorrow if a lift(about the only thing I'd be comfortable using) could be safely used, taking into account sidewalk width and powerline clearance. Any help would be much appreciated.

Photos of the building can be seen here:

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/flatwork-buildings/9726-large-window-cleaning-bid-advice.html

Ben,

Do you know of a window washing company that you would feel confident with them doing the work for you?

If you did it yourself, and used a lift, would you have the manpower to handle the job?

Does your insurance cover you if you sub contract?

What would the customer do if you sub contracted?

I know the feeling, I am an owner operator with no employees, and have had some jobs to bid that looked real promising, but due to certain reasons, I had to pass on the job. Lift work for me, myself and I is a no no.

If that particular job came to me, I would pass. Windows is not the problem, the lift work is. Maybe one day I will get some help, but for now, I am all about me.

If I cannot do the work myself, all I could think of was to subcontract or perhaps obtain a finder's fee. It's a little late in the game to do this, with a bid already on my plate but it's all I've got. It sure gives me incentive to establish the trust necessary for these kinds of relationships to work longterm.

I'll have to look into some of your questions, but first I have to be sure I cannot perform the job in a safe manner.

Four stories is pretty high for a scissors lift, if at all possible given the slope (if any) of the sidewalk. A self leveling articulated boom would work if only width did not pose a problem for the narrow sidewalk. The life would have to be operated from the street where the power lines create interference. This leaves it to be used with one set of tires on the curb and the other set on the sidewalk. I have to look into specs on these machines to find out if any of these are safe options.

Worst case scenario is I give the work to someone else and get nothing. At least I know my marketing reached someone.

Re-think worse case, If you bid to little, you will end up paying the difference out of YOUR pocket. Remember, a bid is a binding contract in court, and you will be held responsible for the cost, whether it is you or someone else that does the job. If you can't look at the job and feel comfortable that you can do the job, then you better pass on it! A lift to get you high enough to do a four story building, you would need to look at a bucket truck with at least a 50 ft. reach and levelers. That will cost mega bucks to rent, if you can find one!

"Four stories is pretty high for a scissors lift" - Forget that! you want to live to see another day.

I'm visiting the property to assess the lift situation today. If it's not comfortable or if the lift compromises my safety in any way, I'll pass. There are some scissors lifts that I would trust that high but they're used in HD construction and I doubt anyone around here would rent one. If they did, it would probably cost as much as the bucket truck. It's called the Genie and it has levelers.

Living to see another day is one of my goals in life.