Sign in to follow this  
RyanLRS

Prices on jobs?

Question

Just trying to get other peoples two cents. I usually can not go below a dollar a sq. ft. on many of my jobs fences/decks. What are you all usually charging and what would tell a customer if your competition was giving quotes like this:

Q: How much does it cost to stain my wood fence or deck?

A: We charge .25 cents per square foot of new fence, which includes labor and materials. We charge .32 cents per square foot to stain an old fence which needs to be cleaned first then stained. Finally, we charge .85 cents per square foot of deck to be stained.

Now I think they are using wood defender, but how are they making money and doing a quality job at that price? Just wondering and looking for input on what to tell customers when I come in so much higher.

20 answers to this question

Tell your customer when competiton like that undercuts that much - they won't be in business long enough to come back to recoat in 2 years. And that you will still be in business, and gladly do their deck then for exactly double the price - so as to make up the money you lost by them going to the competition the first time. Yeah I know - sounds negative, but don't you want satisfaction sometimes telling a HO off, especially one that you know won't go with your services. You think those prices are bad, I was undercut by this guy - who said he would veneer plaster blueboard for .85 cents a square foot. There is a whole heck of alot more labor plastering a surface than there is washing and staining wood. Just charge your prices, maintain a good customer relations - and you will have people pay for your services. Walk away from those that won't. You can't do the work that cheap - because if you did, you would end up really tired and depressed and unmotivated to do the work - and of course accidents happen, and people will expect you to deduct the money from your already very low estimate - and that's when the real pain begins. I wish someone would do research on low-ballers, and see if any of them have any holding power in this business - I think they must all eventually go out of business. I can't think of one household name contractor in my area who has been in the business a long time and who is cheap.

The problem with saying that the lowballer will be out of business in a year is that another lowballer will come along to replace him. In the past 5 years I haven't seen a decrease in the number of $99 house wash signs littering our corners. Just think...if it cost $99 five years ago, and still costs that today, imagine the diminished quality you can expect considering their overhead has increased drastically. When confronted with "so and so only charges 1/5 what you charge" I tell the customer that they have indeed found an exceptional offer and should consider their services because for the equipment and effort I put into a job, and the satisfaction the HO can expect afterwards, I simply cannot compete with them on a price level. However, if they want to discuss *quality*, that's a whole new ballgame.

How do you measure a deck??? I hate these "how much per sq. ft.?" questions because I may call it 900 sq. ft. at .90 cents, and you may call the same deck 450 sq. ft. at $1.70. That makes you the lowballer!!! Bottom line is that we all measure differently.

One of my only real competitors here measures only the floor, and charges $2.00 per sq. ft. (last I knew). I charge less per sq. ft., but I measure the floors, linear feet of railing (times three), add five dollars per step, add for benches etc...and guess what? We are nearly identical on our bids!

So before you ask the next logical question of...Then why do you spend so much time measuring, adding, and ciphering this all out?...I'll answer it. It gives me time to develop a rapport with my customer, describe the process, and close the sale. I have sold plenty jobs where I was not the low bidder, but I didn't just leave a post-it on their door with the price, and my number scribbled at the bottom.

Ryan hit the nail on the head. Take some time to educate yourself on closing techniques. Charge a fair price for yourself, and sell yourself so they don't question why you are worth more than Joe's Powerwash and Porta-Potty Service (JPPPSLLC).

Just trying to get other peoples two cents. I usually can not go below a dollar a sq. ft. on many of my jobs fences/decks. What are you all usually charging and what would tell a customer if your competition was giving quotes like this:

Q: How much does it cost to stain my wood fence or deck?

A: We charge .25 cents per square foot of new fence, which includes labor and materials. We charge .32 cents per square foot to stain an old fence which needs to be cleaned first then stained. Finally, we charge .85 cents per square foot of deck to be stained.

Now I think they are using wood defender, but how are they making money and doing a quality job at that price? Just wondering and looking for input on what to tell customers when I come in so much higher.

I would have to agree with the others in qualifying the customer wants a repeat service based company or a one timer.

The Price may look attractive to those customers you won't get anyway and frankly you don't want them if this is their motivator. Lowballers are a nuisance to out business but they fill a need for those who cannot afford much to begin with. Often I have found that the people looking for the lowest price are the ones who complain the most and try to get as much as possible for the least outlay. Not a blanket analysis but a common one.

Rod!~

Just trying to get other peoples two cents. I usually can not go below a dollar a sq. ft. on many of my jobs fences/decks.

RyanLRS what stain are you using for your decks and fences?

You say you can't go below a $1 sqft is that because the price you are paying for the stain?

What would tell a customer if your competition was giving quotes like this

When it comes to prices of stain you get what you pay for and a stains durable track record should speak for itself.I have gotten a few calls from contractors complaining about how Wood Defender has been holding up on fences.

How do you measure a deck??? I hate these "how much per sq. ft.?" questions because I may call it 900 sq. ft. at .90 cents, and you may call the same deck 450 sq. ft. at $1.70. That makes you the lowballer!!! Bottom line is that we all measure differently.

if one person says a deck is 900 and the other says 450. one of yall cannot measure

haha icon10.gif

Dan plastering is a pain in the butt, I could not do it hats off man. Well maybe I could? If you want it to come out like a 4yr. old finger plastering it up there.

I use two different finishes for my staining. Mostly Ready Seal, but I also use a product out of Canada called Timber Pro UV. Timber Pro UV's main staple is log homes but it is a good finish and I like it. A bit more expensive than Ready Seal but it is low to no VOC. For green people (harder to apply though-runs). Me myself have never used wood defender but after seeing how some of the fences are wearing, I am staying away. It might be how it is being applied though. Plus I like to take my time to make sure they are getting a good job, try to treat everyones like my own.

I do not always price by square foot since some jobs are just more of a pain than others. And I agree with SCHRCC 900 sq. ft. means just that 900 sq. ft. If I am measuring I am a little bit slow so I measure everything and I mean everything. LOL sometimes takes awhile.

Thanks for the responses.

There is only 1 wat to measure a deck ,and its the right way.

I'm not even sure I want to go here...but what is the right way?

I do it in a way that works for me...and that I can sell...and be profitable. I'm sure the guy who charges basically the same (per deck), but measures differently and charges twice per sq. ft. fells the same. More power to him if it works for him.

Thanks for the responses.

I have decks/docks "1500sqft avg" allover Conroe in Bentwater mainly.I measure all surface area priced per sqft and railing by the lft depend how tall the rail is.

Larry,

You converted me to the way you measured last year. Since using your method I feel like I have been right on with judging the amount of stain. I didnt have near the left over once I went your route.

Thanks

Don

Shane,

Nice work man. I will get ahold of you later this week to try some. Hey on the overhang on the pool what did you use to keep it out of the water? Just wondering, I have only had to deal with stuff like that once or twice. I sespended some small plastic trash buckets in chicken wire and roped it off to the right height. Just curious if you had something better to keep their pool clean.

Ryan

Shane,

Nice work man. I will get ahold of you later this week to try some. Hey on the overhang on the pool what did you use to keep it out of the water? Just wondering, I have only had to deal with stuff like that once or twice. I sespended some small plastic trash buckets in chicken wire and roped it off to the right height. Just curious if you had something better to keep their pool clean.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan

Well when i'm working that close to pools where the deck is over the pool i will brush that in by hand.I have also covered the pool with a large piece of plastic.

Hey Ryan, I am the new guy. I think that is a case of bait and switch. If I encountered a customer who said they said they will do it X, I would not talk down about them but i'd say am, I don't know about that, but if you choose to go wiith me I will HONOR the price I quote you, I will use PREMIUM products and show you those products if you like as well as validate that I am fully insured if you choose. If that does not work go on to say that I have soe references, pull out your phone ad begin to call and she will say no. But I would not be used car salesmanish. I would tell her myu work speaks for itself and will lqast how ever any years. When It coe to stains or sealents I get techno on them and talk about boring stuff like the UV inhibitors in Thomsons VS cwf uv 40 for example. Usualy when someone wants a fence done they have made up there mind to do it, but not who will do it, therefore if your sales ptch is honest and sincere, and for me, if I use words like HONOR, Premium etc. Its build trust and seperates use good guys from the shadey cats out there tryin to get some $ for some rock. I did not read all the replies so sorry if I am stateing the obvios.

My priceis .75-1.50 per linier sq foot.

Nice job on the deck seymore! I likee the CWF UV 40 in Ceder, but Grey away gold looks damn nice. From the new guy

hy........

First off, welcome to the board :) Second, would you please put a signature in so I don't have to call you hy......!

Got a little confused in your response - You said you charge .75-1.50 per linear square foot. Which is it? Linear or square? Is that for for cleaning and staining (.75) versus stripping and restaining (1.5)? And that is just for fencing right?

Celeste

sorry, I got another on board and made about a 12% margin. What stain do you prefer caolina, what seems to work best for you in the great state of SC? I am a vergin with stain. I am aware respect will obviously not be handed outl, I will try not to elaborate on things I know little about. I am hear to learn and not to teach. I hope that qualifies me, my partner is the money and labor,and he knows little. So therefore the guidance of my seniors is truly appreciated and will not go unnoticed.

Hi Clayton - glad to use a name :)

We are Wood Tux fans. We've used it from the furthest point of the NC mountains to the coast of South Carolina with beautiful results and no complaints on longevity at this point :) I will say that we don't do many fences - mainly because folks nearly faint from prices, even when we are what we consider to be VERY reasonable.

We're actually going to be in the Charleston area sometime in the next month to check up on a project we did last fall as well as iron out some details on some concrete work we have coming up. If you want to get together and look at some sample pieces we have with Wood Tux, just drop me an email or give a call :)

Celeste