Sign in to follow this  
copgib

Mixing Paddles

What is everyone using to mix your chemicals after you put them into the tank? I have been using a piece of PVC pipe to mix everything up. Anyone else have any different ways of mixing your chemicals? I have noticed I have to mix up my chemicals every now and then so I don't get the soap setting in the bottom of the tank. Thanks Hugh

Length of rod with section of flat bar welded to the end at a slight angle (redneck propeller) attached to my 18V DeWalt drill. hold at angle in the tank for maximum mixing effectiveness.

I use a 36" paint mixer from Home Depot...I think it was like 8 dollars or something. I stick it in my drill and it does a great job.

- John

I will be using it for a 65-gallon tank so I am looking for something like a small boat orr. I would prefer something manual that I could stir up. Hugh

I believe you can get them from Paul, espec, and now at the HD. You might think of a big wooden spoon. I found some at the Wal-Mart. They are about 2' long and mix good in the 5 gallon buckets. I do not know if your 65 gallon tank is the lay-down type or barrel type. The squirrel mixer works real good. I have several sizes and like them all.

I will be using it for a 65-gallon tank so I am looking for something like a small boat orr. I would prefer something manual that I could stir up. Hugh

The chems will mix just fine on their own on the way to the jobsite. No need to mix them again in the tank, unless the trailer has been sitting at the jobsite for more than a day. If you need to mix them, simply stick the wand in the open tank with a low pressure tip and pull the trigger for a second or so. That'll mix them up just fine, without spending money on mixers, oars, or paying someone to make you a redneck propeller that might whack a hole in your tank.

The chems will mix just fine on their own on the way to the jobsite. No need to mix them again in the tank, unless the trailer has been sitting at the jobsite for more than a day. If you need to mix them, simply stick the wand in the open tank with a low pressure tip and pull the trigger for a second or so. That'll mix them up just fine, without spending money on mixers, oars, or paying someone to make you a redneck propeller that might whack a hole in your tank.

I'll just add two things:

1. In some situations a paddle can be handy, you can get various plastic and metal iterations at most restaurant supply stores. (They also often stock 10.5% SH, at high prices. If you run short this can be helpful, but painful.)

2. Mike has a way with the amusing phrase, I am startled into laughing often when reading his posts. Just another little reason to love TGS.

I find that if I mix a 55 gallon drum of housewash mix that it tends to separate over time. I use one of those paint stirrers that is made for 5 gallon buckets and goes in an electric drill and it mixes the 55 gallon barrel very well, you can see it really working. This makes my housewash mix consistent from batch to batch. From there I just pump it and SH into my chem tank and drive away.

I find that if I mix a 55 gallon drum of housewash mix that it tends to separate over time. I use one of those paint stirrers that is made for 5 gallon buckets and goes in an electric drill and it mixes the 55 gallon barrel very well, you can see it really working. This makes my housewash mix consistent from batch to batch. From there I just pump it and SH into my chem tank and drive away.

Yep, that works great for drum kits and such...but I think what some folks didn't realize is that Hugh was talking about his chem tank on his trailer, where he keeps his soap/chlorine mix for housewashing. I have the exact same setup, and have never had to mix mine up. On my drum kits, I just stick a length of PVC in there and mix it up for a minute or so. The drum mixers would be easier, but I have a hard time paying that kind of money for something I'd rarely use.