Sign in to follow this  
Freshlook

Making the x-jet easier to use

Chem supply to x-jet  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Chem supply to x-jet

Question

I do hear of all these complaints of people hating lugging their container of chems around when using an x-jet.. so I improvised..

I took a 3 gallon backpack sprayer I had gotten from TSC and cut the hose from the bottom feed and clamped the opening off. Then at the top there was a rubber vent insert which I removed and using a 1/2 inch drillbit opened up to fit the existing hose that came with the backpack sprayer, fed it thru the hole I had created to sit inside the container. ""NOTE" do not make the hole too big or you will have chemicals spilling/seeping thru the hole opening during sloshing, I even applied an epoxy around the opening to seal any small holes that may have been there." I then took a barrel filter that came with a downstream injector that I had and clamped it to the end of the hose which sits inside the continer,as the strainer that comes with the x-jet is AWFULLY BIG and undesirable as it didn't fit inside anything besides a 5 gallon bucket. I then shortened the hose running from the on/off valve to the container leaving it nearly at wasteline for instant/easy access, and kept the hose from the opposite outlet side of the on/off valve the same length to the x-jet chemical inlet.

Downsides--

1.) If you don't have a good back it's not doing you much justice/ I'm 26 and still have a few good vertebre left back there! =)

2.) Running with no proportioner you will siphon 3 gallons fairly quickly but I've been able to manage running a stronger solution with a proportioner and great results. A (+) is while using the backpack you are able to with a quick shimmy tell how much solution is left in your container, leaving you able to judge how much time is left before refill.

3.) After running out of solution in the backpack you still have to refill but I have found this not unreasonable as I have complete mobility requiring only using the quick connect to disengage the x-jet from my wand and I'm free from all other equipment.

4.) Lack of ability to carry more than 3 gallons of chemicals, but due to the fact that I notice some lugging around 5 gallon buckets it's not nearly a bad trade off. "no hoses deciding to jump out of the bucket when your in the middle of a job.

I don't believe in taking shortcuts when doing jobs, however I do believe that making my equipment work easier for me will essentially make my job at hand less of a challenge. If anyone decides to try the same setup, or has the same setup let me know how it's worked out for you.

Here's a few pics of what I did

post-2746-137772175367_thumb.jpg

post-2746-137772175378_thumb.jpg

81 answers to this question

To cut down on exposure is most everyone wearing googles/glasses for eye protection and long sleeved shirts/pants with the xjet? Maybe even a little vinegar for the just in case?

Great job on the backpack xjet setup,but why would you do all this bucket carrying and handtrucking house wash mix around.I am a downstreamer an love it.Im not trying to make anyone mad or start a xjet vs downstream fight but it should be easy to see which makes better sense.Sorry if I stepped on any toes.I have a M-5 xjet that i use to apply ox with but thats it.

X-jet; cost $149.99

bucket carry

hose to tangle up

high pressure

limited reach

Downstreaming: injector with quick connects $25.00

low pressure nozzles $3.00 each

leave bucket at the trailer with mix in it $priceless

shoot mix higher

no bucket carrying

I use a modified garden sprayer to hold a 12% SH mix that allows me to wash an entire 3 bedroom home without refill.

I was using a regular backpack to carry, but after receiving a burn I bought a dry bag for water sports for about $65...

This setup has lasted me a full washing season with no leakage, although at some point I am sure the SH will degrade the integrity of the bag.

I use a modified garden sprayer to hold a 12% SH mix that allows me to wash an entire 3 bedroom home without refill.

I was using a regular backpack to carry, but after receiving a burn I bought a dry bag for water sports for about $65...

This setup has lasted me a full washing season with no leakage, although at some point I am sure the SH will degrade the integrity of the bag.

Welcome to TGS.

PLease go to your profile and complet your signature line.

House Rules.

Again, Welcome.