Sign in to follow this  
Freshlook

Making the x-jet easier to use

Chem supply to x-jet  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Chem supply to x-jet

Question

I do hear of all these complaints of people hating lugging their container of chems around when using an x-jet.. so I improvised..

I took a 3 gallon backpack sprayer I had gotten from TSC and cut the hose from the bottom feed and clamped the opening off. Then at the top there was a rubber vent insert which I removed and using a 1/2 inch drillbit opened up to fit the existing hose that came with the backpack sprayer, fed it thru the hole I had created to sit inside the container. ""NOTE" do not make the hole too big or you will have chemicals spilling/seeping thru the hole opening during sloshing, I even applied an epoxy around the opening to seal any small holes that may have been there." I then took a barrel filter that came with a downstream injector that I had and clamped it to the end of the hose which sits inside the continer,as the strainer that comes with the x-jet is AWFULLY BIG and undesirable as it didn't fit inside anything besides a 5 gallon bucket. I then shortened the hose running from the on/off valve to the container leaving it nearly at wasteline for instant/easy access, and kept the hose from the opposite outlet side of the on/off valve the same length to the x-jet chemical inlet.

Downsides--

1.) If you don't have a good back it's not doing you much justice/ I'm 26 and still have a few good vertebre left back there! =)

2.) Running with no proportioner you will siphon 3 gallons fairly quickly but I've been able to manage running a stronger solution with a proportioner and great results. A (+) is while using the backpack you are able to with a quick shimmy tell how much solution is left in your container, leaving you able to judge how much time is left before refill.

3.) After running out of solution in the backpack you still have to refill but I have found this not unreasonable as I have complete mobility requiring only using the quick connect to disengage the x-jet from my wand and I'm free from all other equipment.

4.) Lack of ability to carry more than 3 gallons of chemicals, but due to the fact that I notice some lugging around 5 gallon buckets it's not nearly a bad trade off. "no hoses deciding to jump out of the bucket when your in the middle of a job.

I don't believe in taking shortcuts when doing jobs, however I do believe that making my equipment work easier for me will essentially make my job at hand less of a challenge. If anyone decides to try the same setup, or has the same setup let me know how it's worked out for you.

Here's a few pics of what I did

post-2746-137772175367_thumb.jpg

post-2746-137772175378_thumb.jpg

81 answers to this question

You guys need to look at a Shindaiwa backpack sprayer for this. They don't have seals at the bottom that can leak all over your legs.

This is the one I have.....

sp415.jpg

Just want to send out a thank you to Beth & Rod, Chris, and whoem ever else that ever dropped the "D" pump word in searchable threads here and there on TGS. If not for shared thought I would likely still feel somewhat unsatisfied in surflow height limitation hell or in contemplating this here xjet thread....THANX HEAPS!

to my friends using the little blue jug from walmart...check out the photos. the spout unscrews so instead of putting your hose into the hole you just put a 3/8 barb hose fitting with 3/4 npt threads into each side of the cap. cut off enough of your xjet hose to fit inside the jug and then put the cut hose onto the barb on the outside. if you turn it over there are no spills. if you have a large job and don't want to stop and remix then have two jugs ready and just swap the caps when you are ready. i know everyone thinks i am a genius but i'm not. i'm just a rocket scientist. i got this tip from bob at pressure tek and it has worked really well for me. don't anyone try to strap this thing on your back.

rando

post-1647-137772179634_thumb.jpg

post-1647-137772179647_thumb.jpg

post-1647-137772179658_thumb.jpg

I use the five gallon bucket made for the x-jet, the no spill bucket. I have 30 feet of hose allows me to do the whole side, so I move the bucket 4 times. The proportioners allow me to use 5 gallons on a 2000 to 2500 sq ft house and yes no spills. the back pack is a nice looking piece though. One question is that the mjet your using in place of the original x-jet.

I thought about the backpack but would have to refill too often. And also the leakage issue. I purchased a garden wagon from Northern Tool. It will hold 4 6 gallon buckets plus whatever soap I need. It has inflatable tires and pulls around real easy in terain. I just bungee them down and off I go.

post-2970-13777217974_thumb.gif

Now if someone could figure out a way to x-jet and downstream at the same time and we could all leave our little buckets in the vehicle/trailer etc...and get rid of the back problems from running back and forth with one maybe I could let my current chiropractor retire early.

Ok, maybe not, but anyway, I am not into back pack sprayers. With my luck, the darn thing would leak all down my backside and leave me with one heck of a burn...wait, didn't that happen to someone who posted here once?!!?

Rod!~

i got this tip from bob at pressure tek and it has worked really well for me.

I should have patented it before I shared the idea freely. I have 2 jugs, one for acid and one for caustic. Can switch between the two in seconds.

Anthony, what was the story behind that? I recently got some evil casutic on my wrist, and aside from burning like a fire, it removed all the hair.

Alan...that is a picture of Matt's butt, don't ask me why I have pics of other dudes butt's :eek: He sat in it I believe and waiting too long before stripping down to bare metal :D

Also, if you put baby oil on your wrists or wherever you are burnt every day, it will heal up quicker.

Hey thats MY ass!! What I want to know is why Anthony has a copy of that pic on his computer:sick:

Long story short, we had already washed the system down and I saw a strip of grease that wasn't coming off inside a lateral. So I grab a scraper, throw a suit on and dive in "you washed that lateral out good?" I say "yes sir" my helper says. Turns out he didn't wash it out good enough. The cold wet feeling I had running down my back started to get warmer and warmer. I toughed it out long enough to get the grease out but ended up buck naked in the kitchen getting hosed down like indoc at County.

it is a good post to (look bad) from the year before to see you where at then

Look bad? I thought I should update the situation and state that for all last year I suffered (ZERO) burns or chem exposure. I took great effort to ensure seals were effective, and leaks were prevented. I did appreciate the concerns and althou seeming brutal and off the cuff statements, they were at least sincere. I since did need the capacity for a greater volume so I went with a 30 gallon system with a piggy back 5er and a split valve to enable me to change chems at the wand without mixing. I now still keep the backpack for off the wall chems like when I did a carwash for a fundraising event for local kids. 3.5 gallons of 100% detergent, mixed down to 16:1 went quite some ways..

fun times ahead.. I think half the fun when doing a task I have is.. Can I make this easier to do... and HOW??? a little creative ingenuity pays off in the long run.

we have a 65 gal tank ,add 2.5 gal of chlorine 1 container of dish soap then run it through our 5 year old machine(same pump ) soaping th entire house. emidiatley switching to rinse water start cleaning. the key is dont let the soap sit in the pump.

Guest Muaz

Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,