Sign in to follow this  
John T

CDL license..who has one??

Question

Anyone have a CDL license and does it cost much then a regular license..I'm debating on setting up another rig with a truck with airbrakes and of course a CDL license will be needed.

17 answers to this question

Anyone have a CDL license and does it cost much then a regular license..I'm debating on setting up another rig with a truck with airbrakes and of course a CDL license will be needed.

Scott Millen can probably be helpful on this question. I looked into getting a Class B CDL at one time. It was only going to cost a few Hundred $$ to take the test etc.

My family owned a trucking company in NJ. In 1970 when I was a wet behind the ears 17 yr. old, my father put me into the cab of a Mack with a 40ft. attached furniture van and told me to learn how to drive a tractor-trailer. Put one of our oldest Teamster drivers in the passenger seat and demanded he be my instructor. Poor guy, must have been scared to death.

Four days later I was on my own. Never had to take a formal State driving test, just got an endorsement from our dispatcher, passed a written State paper test, and had the license endorsement for NJ.

At 21, was able to drive interstate. No Federal CDL, any endorsed state license was good to go. Hit 47 of the lower 48 during college breaks and for periods after graduating. Best education and experience a young man could hope for. Still have fond memories and tons of interesting experiences during those too few years.

I've had a CDL since they were first required, and the requirements haven't changed much since.

You are probably only going to need a class B, endorsed for airbrakes, but that really depends on what kind of equipment you buy.

Generally I tell anybody interested to go and get the whole shebang: Class A with as many endorsements as possible. Why risk ever having to find a driver for a single days work? If you know what you are buying, you can tailor your license to fit it.

The training costs vary, I found some schools in your area, John, by Googling "New York CDL" I'm sure you can refine your results easily.

In Nebraska the renewal fee was ~$50, and the issue fee is similar. The Hazmat endorsement requires some background checking and fingerprinting now, and that is more expensive, ~ $150 or $200 I believe I've heard, but I haven't renewed mine lately. Could be more.

The medical card will cost you ~$60 to ~$100 depending on where you get it. Get one, the license isn't worth much without it, and it will open you to a great deal of liability to be without if a collision is in your future.

I'd resist the training schools if possible, they will be time-consuming and cost a couple of thousand bucks. Find a friend with a rig, and offer him fuel and some pay to teach you the driving (if you need it) and to let you use his rig for the test. You will want to practice the walk-around until you can't stand it, and then practice it that many times again. Most failure take place here.

If you haven't any friends that will make this deal, you can rent a truck and hire a driver cheaper than using a training school, I'd guess. The info you need for the written and walk-around are available at your local driver's licensing office, and probably at the Teamster's local nearest you. They are free, usually, get one and read it, and you'll do fine.

If you go for a Class A, get an instructor or you will fail. Tractor semi-trailer combinations are not like pickups and trailers, and just learning to shift one is a task that can take days. Not everyone can learn it. I know, I used to teach drivers. Petry is right, it terrifies.

If anyone is close to Omaha, or can be, I'm happy to risk my life to help you out, and I can get a truck with a little notice, so don't hesitate to call. Number is in the signature.

I have a Class A with all endorsements (excluding passenger). The license is not too difficult to get, provided you get plenty of practice. Fees vary state to state I assume.

There are new requirements to get or renew the Hazmat end. FBI Background checks, etc.

How about a truck like this on Ebay. I'm tempting to build a full commercial set-up off a truck like this. It requires a CDL but I'm thinking the B type CDL may be enough...Any more thoughts on this??

eBay Motors: FORD F-650 FLATBED TRUCK BOBTAIL CREWCAB CUMMINS DIESEL (item 170091654863 end time Mar-24-07 17:56:32 PDT)

I have a cdl and was grandfathered in when the cdl came out.Its not a bad thing to have and easy to get now adays.Most go to them schools and get them.Its like gold in the pocket.

John, that first truck is a heck of a unit for the money, the second will be crowded to my tastes. You would know best what equipment you need to get on it.

The first is a class B required rig, and you'd need the airbrake test as well. The 7 speed in it can probably be driven as you are used to in any manual vehicle, but you could make it last longer if you know how to match revs and skip the clutch except when stopped.

The second might be a better fit in town, but that big one will do fine, and have lots of room and power to spare.

I'm not exactly current on this class of truck and it's market, but the buy now prices seem low, which is worrisome to me. I'd need to check Trucks For Sale at Truck Paper: Freightliner, International Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack trucks, dump trucks, dump trailers, used trailers for sale. and with some buddies to see if his price was in line. Maybe it is just a good buy.

I know you've had luck buying on Ebay before, so I'm sure you've got it covered.

You plan on buying a flatbed, or are you going to mount a box?

John, that first truck is a heck of a unit for the money, the second will be crowded to my tastes. You would know best what equipment you need to get on it.

The first is a class B required rig, and you'd need the airbrake test as well. The 7 speed in it can probably be driven as you are used to in any manual vehicle, but you could make it last longer if you know how to match revs and skip the clutch except when stopped.

The second might be a better fit in town, but that big one will do fine, and have lots of room and power to spare.

I'm not exactly current on this class of truck and it's market, but the buy now prices seem low, which is worrisome to me. I'd need to check Trucks For Sale at Truck Paper: Freightliner, International Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack trucks, dump trucks, dump trailers, used trailers for sale. and with some buddies to see if his price was in line. Maybe it is just a good buy.

I know you've had luck buying on Ebay before, so I'm sure you've got it covered.

You plan on buying a flatbed, or are you going to mount a box?

I had a box truck but it was just to darn big and when one of my guys slammed the top part of the box into a overhead branch while cruising along I new it was time to sell that truck. It was just to big.

When I buy on Ebay I use an inspection service to get a 100 point check on any vehicle that I buy. I probably bought around 7 vehicles on Ebay and had pretty much luck with most of them...Actually I felt like stole some of them because of the price that I paid...

That Commercial Flat bed truck is a good deal but that CDL airbreaks has me concerned because if I buy it anyone who drives it must have a CDL lic. and that may be to much of a pain to deal with when it comes to workers...

Hey john,

I have a class B that I got when I worked for a scale company. I havent used it since I was layed off from there 6 years ago but I still renew it when my license is do for renewing. That truck looks like you can build a nice rig out of it but it is not automatic. Also it would be a pain when your workers dont have a CDL.

Hey john,

I have a class B that I got when I worked for a scale company. I havent used it since I was layed off from there 6 years ago but I still renew it when my license is do for renewing. That truck looks like you can build a nice rig out of it but it is not automatic. Also it would be a pain when your workers dont have a CDL.

My thoughts exactly Dino

In MN. the regs for needing a CDL are "Class C a single unit vehicle 26,000 GVWR or less", "Class B over 26,000 GVWR" and "Class A vehicles towing more then 10,000 lbs GVWR with a gross combination weight rating ( truck plus trailer) over 26,000" Also you need a Medical card to drive ANY commercial vehicles

I'd really like to build a set-up on a truck like this one but the flatbed is only 11 ft long which to me seems like it may be to short. But the truck is ideal.

eBay Motors: 05 Ford F550 Crew Cab 11` flatbed [ more stock ] (item 220091301411 end time Mar-21-07 15:03:12 PDT)

John,

That truck will easily carry a water tank, a pressure washer and a couple of hose reels. It will actually carry two pressure washers. I had a truck similar for a while and it had 2 225 gallon tanks, a pressure washer, a generator and a couple of hose reels.

I have a class A cdl with a tanker endorsement.

John a truck like that is fine but if your going to ever pull a trailer behind it then it's considered a combination vehicle and I believe you'll need a class A. Also if you haul 1000 gallons or more of liquid you'll need the tanker endorsement. I drove a truck like that with a triaxle trailer hauling heavy equipment to the job sites while I was in utility construction. I did it for 2 years with no cdl, my boss just told me to play stupid if I ever got pulled over, I was young and dumb so I said okay whatever. Finally we had an out of state job to do so he decided I needed to get legal. So he scheduled the test, I studied for the walk around test, used his truck and went and passed it pretty easily. It was only a couple hundred dollars for the test. Now every 2 years I have to get a cdl physical to stay legal and that's it.